What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

3 minutes ago, SteveF said:

Finally put my dash back together after fixing the digital clock and replaced the clear plastic around the climate control unit which after 30 years had seen better days. It’s no longer available from Porsche so I found a guy in Canada who reproduces them using a 3D printer so they are much stronger. I also replaced the dash trim with a new one as it had been repaired a few times already. 

Spill the beans mate .... how many screws were left over?? ... :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Spill the beans mate .... how many screws were left over?? ... :ph34r:

I fixed my clock a while back & found the clear mounting panel behind the HVAC to be knackered as well.  I also bought the new one from old mate in Canada.  Did it fit well?  No issues?  I will fit mine soon. cheers.

I had to file back around where the aircon buttons are at each end to make them fit. Reading the Rennlist thread on it some guys were removing the buttons but this would potentially be messy with springs shooting out everywhere. Just be careful taking off the fan speed button as it has a fragile bulb in it. Getting the labels off the old one was pretty easy.  It took me about  45 minutes all up.

Fitted a set of STEELMATE tyre pressure monitors to the BBC.   

Takes a little bit of mucking around (for me anyway) to get the pressures to the right numbers and to sync it with the actual monitor.   

The monitor fits perfectly into the cig lighter in the consul, and you can even close the cover over it.

with thanks to SteveGT3 with some phone help in setting the system up.

In doing so I also discovered I have a power outlet in the passenger foot well area.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:07 PM, Niko said:

Fitted a set of STEELMATE tyre pressure monitors to the BBC.   

Takes a little bit of mucking around (for me anyway) to get the pressures to the right numbers and to sync it with the actual monitor.   

The monitor fits perfectly into the cig lighter in the consul, and you can even close the cover over it.

with thanks to SteveGT3 with some phone help in setting the system up.

In doing so I also discovered I have a power outlet in the passenger foot well area.

Niko, which STEELMATE model did you go for?

2 hours ago, Barks said:

Niko, which STEELMATE model did you go for?

TP71PB..   I probably paid too much, I think if you do the Ebay thing you will get them cheaper.

I paid $199.85 from ELITE ELECTRONICS.   Great service though, ordered them on the 15/8 and they were on my doorstep 16/8

I will do a few photos this arvo to show what the monitor and the valve caps look like in situ.

IMG_1379IMG_1380IMG_1381IMG_1384

2 hours ago, Niko said:

TP71PB..   I probably paid too much, I think if you do the Ebay thing you will get them cheaper.

I paid $199.85 from ELITE ELECTRONICS.   Great service though, ordered them on the 15/8 and they were on my doorstep 16/8

I will do a few photos this arvo to show what the monitor and the valve caps look like in situ.

13 hours ago, Mttel said:

Picked up the toy from the repairers after having a small ding taken out. Got the car fully detailed at the same time. Black is spectacularly when it’s clean and shiny.

32B79CB1-A882-4603-9046-FB2A7798A14B.jpeg

59B2272B-0C99-41AC-B99C-BB14BEC04C83.jpeg

Shiny Black is the best!  … but quick put it under a cover and don't take it offB)

On 8/20/2018 at 9:59 PM, Mttel said:

Picked up the toy from the repairers after having a small ding taken out. Got the car fully detailed at the same time. Black is spectacularly when it’s clean and shiny.

32B79CB1-A882-4603-9046-FB2A7798A14B.jpeg

59B2272B-0C99-41AC-B99C-BB14BEC04C83.jpeg

Added some new decals today, unfortunately had to take it out in the rain.

922BA6C7-CFB6-463C-B64B-C57AC25E8526.jpeg

832333D8-42E8-4DB1-AB83-5529092FFF06.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Removed the ugly old stone guards from my 993 and replaced them with new, slightly larger, ones. Removing them was interesting. LH one started coming off in bits, so I tried heat gun which made it worse - what a mess. So I put the heat gun away and tried a little iso-alcohol spray which worked bloody brilliantly. I literally sprayed it onto the surface and within 20 seconds could carefully scrape it with a plastic scraper. It came off in reasonable size pieces with the glue and took maybe 15 minutes to do the LH one. The RH had surface crack lines and peeled off without any  heat or alcohol spray - took maybe 5 minutes. The guards had obviously been on for many many many years - not sure if Porsche ever produced them but they were white, not clear as I was expecting. They matched the paint perfectly... maybe too perfectly..? ?

Anyway, a bit of elbow grease with a clay bar removed 99.9% of the discrepancy between the paint under the guards and the paint next to the guards. New guards installed carefully - taking about 5 minutes each side with help from the good Mrs.

Looks so much better now!