What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

Instructed the dealer to take all that plastic stuff off the new white car and filled in the Transfer of Rights form for the rego.

The plate has been waiting for its mounting hardware for over a year.

Rego is GT2 647.

Timing was spot on as I just did the deal to sell the last car to go so this could all happen.  

3 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Instructed the dealer to take all that plastic stuff off the new white car and filled in the Transfer of Rights form for the rego.

The plate has been waiting for its mounting hardware for over a year.

Rego is GT2 647.

Timing was spot on as I just did the deal to sell the last car to go so this could all happen.  

Nice, love the plate too! :D 

10 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

You might be lucky to get a couple of nice days, supposed be 20's this week?  Mornings still cold but...

Ignore the forecast! We have just spent 3 days in Strahan, weather way better than forecast!

Enjoy your trip, we have LOTS to see here :)

17 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Not this Sunday, due to our big 70th event Saturday 13th it has been cancelled.  Email sent out today advising this

Yes just saw this, but still worthwhile to drop down to the cars and coffee Sunday morning at Lower Sandy Bay......(turn left at the shops)

On 10/1/2018 at 10:03 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

You might be lucky to get a couple of nice days, supposed be 20's this week?  Mornings still cold but...

So we managed to get most of the days top down motoring. Wednesday was the only day that it was a bit wet and cold. Had a fantastic time, great food and wine, amazing scenery (did the south east, Port Arthur and Freycinet then back to Launceston). Unfortunately @ANF, @TwoHeadsTas, @42 South heading back to the main land on Saturday nights ferry so no cafe runs. Ran into a few challenges today and had to limp back to Launy to get a change of tires

3161FA06-0BEA-42C9-A215-48DC07720187.jpeg

9 hours ago, Mttel said:

So we managed to get most of the days top down motoring. Wednesday was the only day that it was a bit wet and cold. Had a fantastic time, great food and wine, amazing scenery (did the south east, Port Arthur and Freycinet then back to Launceston). Unfortunately @ANF, @TwoHeadsTas, @42 South heading back to the main land on Saturday nights ferry so no cafe runs. Ran into a few challenges today and had to limp back to Launy to get a change of tires

3161FA06-0BEA-42C9-A215-48DC07720187.jpeg

Glad you had a great time, except for the tyre! We have been touring the west coast and have had great weather all the way.

We are leaving Burnie today and heading back home to Hobart, will most likely cross each other :)

I will keep an eye out for you!

Raining all day, so did a service on the 928. New Bosch plugs, new front pads and clean up callipers, anti squeal on discs, adjust front Springs, oil and filter, air filter, cleaned up brake air deflectors. Pics on Instagram: paulaussiepawsha 

9 hours ago, PTINS said:

Raining all day, so did a service on the 928. New Bosch plugs, new front pads and clean up callipers, anti squeal on discs, adjust front Springs, oil and filter, air filter, cleaned up brake air deflectors. 

Top job, how do you find changing the plugs, I have heard they can be a pain on the 4 valve engines?

But then again people say the same about the 2 valves but I always find them easy....

35 minutes ago, ANF said:

Top job, how do you find changing the plugs, I have heard they can be a pain on the 4 valve engines?

But then again people say the same about the 2 valves but I always find them easy....

Pretty easy,, just a couple of swears (more so from back pain).

As long as you move the intake hoses, filter housing and a few vacuum hoses, plus have the right tool it's fairly straight forward.

The factory tool is hard to beat. The spring enables you to guide it it and out of tight spots, the thin shaft works to clear the intake, and has a slide rod to easily turn it, and on a couple of plug holes where the overhang is tight, they cut out a small area of the intake so the shaft clears it snugly. On these holes it's unlikely a standard socket shaft and plug tool would fit. I've rigged one with a universal joint then taped it together, and can use with a ratchet handle on the more open holes for speed, but doesn't work on the ones underneath the overhang. The factory tool is simple and effective, well engineered for the job, and mine was in the tool kit when I bought the car.

I'd say people maybe find it hard without the factory plug tool, it's a good investment for owners if it's not still with the car.

Always a good practice to put some anti seize on the threads to ensure easy removal.

I've also rigged a tube to a vacuum cleaner handle to pop in the holes and clean them before putting the new plug in.

Now off to drive it a 100 kms, get some V8 sound fix, and get the shocks to settle back down. Not that I mind?

Then sit and watch Bathurst.

Cheers

Paul

17 minutes ago, PTINS said:

Pretty easy,, just a couple of swears (more so from back pain).

As long as you move the intake hoses, filter housing and a few vacuum hoses, plus have the right tool it's fairly straight forward.

The factory tool is hard to beat. The spring enables you to guide it it and out of tight spots, the thin shaft works to clear the intake, and has a slide rod to easily turn it, and on a couple of plug holes where the overhang is tight, they cut out a small area of the intake so the shaft clears it snugly. On these holes it's unlikely a standard socket shaft and plug tool would fit. I've rigged one with a universal joint then taped it together, and can use with a ratchet handle on the more open holes for speed, but doesn't work on the ones underneath the overhang. The factory tool is simple and effective, well engineered for the job, and mine was in the tool kit when I bought the car.

I'd say people maybe find it hard without the factory plug tool, it's a good investment for owners if it's not still with the car.

Always a good practice to put some anti seize on the threads to ensure easy removal.

I've also rigged a tube to a vacuum cleaner handle to pop in the holes and clean them before putting the new plug in.

Now off to drive it a 100 kms, get some V8 sound fix, and get the shocks to settle back down. Not that I mind?

Then sit and watch Bathurst.

Cheers

Paul

It does sound like the factory tool is a wise investment!

You are still able to use conventional tools on the pre 86 cars :) 

Yesterday (mostly) and a little time today (apart from Yacht Club opening day) detailing the 987.1 S and 996.2 ready for Tassie 70th anniversary display, Baskerville laps and dinner next Saturday.  Wash, clay and polish (gotta love that Meguiars stuff!!), and then I took off each wheel on both cars for a thorough clean.  Never gone to that extent before, 996 5 spokers were easy, and had obviously been done a number of times in the past.  Didn't look carefully enough and pick up that the spokes stand proud of the tyre, so some paint scrapes when it fell face down ?  Learned that lesson pretty quickly.  The Sport Classic wheels on the 987, while looking fantastic, are an absloute pain to clean, particularly if they've never been detailed before (or at least not during the last 5 years!!!)

So, apart from glass cleaning, all ready.  Best part is that a mate will drive the 996 to Hobart, while I get to have a first time ever drive of a 996 race ready GT3.  Now that will be fun (I hope!!!!) ? ? ?

Removed the front bumper and inner wheel arch plastics to reposition the frunk emergency pull wire. I did this just over a year ago but the wire had got snagged and refused to operate the frunk lid. 

While I was in there, I pulled the plastic air scoops and split the condensers and radiators to clean out the debris. Again I did this only 15 months ago so there was very little accumulated muck. But this time I also back flushed all 4 radiator fins with a semi high pressure water to clean between the alloy flutes. Its surprising what a reverse water flush can force out even after cleaning the rad fins with a brush and then a vacuum....

I don't think the cleaning this time will make any difference to the running temperatures as the coolant gage rarely goes over the 80 deg mark even on a hot Qld day. 

So I'm a few hundred out of pocket and did nothing to my Porsche today... :Confused02:

Hoped to get coilovers installed.  Mechanic had the rears out ready to put the shiny new coilovers in.... They don't fit.  Mechanic puts it all back together whilst I have a few choice words and then get onto the phone / email with the supplier.  Nothing sorted yet :PissedOff:

Mounting plates wrong.  Overall heights are wrong.  Pic below shows mounting plate with verniers showing what mounting bolt spacing should be.

1 hour ago, flamingporsche said:

So I'm a few hundred out of pocket and did nothing to my Porsche today... :Confused02:

Hoped to get coilovers installed.  Mechanic had the rears out ready to put the shiny new coilovers in.... They don't fit.  Mechanic puts it all back together whilst I have a few choice words and then get onto the phone / email with the supplier.  Nothing sorted yet :PissedOff:

Mounting plates wrong.  Overall heights are wrong.  Pic below shows mounting plate with verniers showing what mounting bolt spacing should be.

These were the Gecko Ebay ones???

12 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

These were the Gecko Ebay ones???

Yes. They have an Australian distributor based in Wollongong. Shipping was super fast. Price is good - just sent the wrong parts. Once sorted I’m sure it will be good. Just not in time for my trip to Tassie later this week ?

3 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

Yes. They have an Australian distributor based in Wollongong. Shipping was super fast. Price is good - just sent the wrong parts. Once sorted I’m sure it will be good. Just not in time for my trip to Tassie later this week ?

Will be following your story.  Just in the middle of deliberations as to whether we keep our 987 when the lease finishes in a couple of months, and sell my 996.  987 is wife's car and would be replaced with a 981.  I would like to have a bit of a play in developing a boxrod for club days etc, but couldn't justify developing the 996 (it's a really good one, and mods may affect the value) and the $$ would work much better to sell the 996 and play with the 987.  Suspect $10k could easily get suspension, exhaust and intake upgrades and perhaps another set of track wheels and tyres, plus we'd be working with a 3.2 6sp to start with.  Only other consideration is whether I should do the IMS too, but I'm working on the basis that its done 133000kms so far so I think I got one of the good ones...  Would of course do it when clutch goes...

If you're over here by the weekend, we've got our 70th display and Baskerville laps on Saturday in Hobart - display outside Princes Wharf 1 building, opposite Salamanca Market

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Will be following your story.  Just in the middle of deliberations as to whether we keep our 987 when the lease finishes in a couple of months, and sell my 996.  987 is wife's car and would be replaced with a 981.  I would like to have a bit of a play in developing a boxrod for club days etc, but couldn't justify developing the 996 (it's a really good one, and mods may affect the value) and the $$ would work much better to sell the 996 and play with the 987.  Suspect $10k could easily get suspension, exhaust and intake upgrades and perhaps another set of track wheels and tyres, plus we'd be working with a 3.2 6sp to start with.  Only other consideration is whether I should do the IMS too, but I'm working on the basis that its done 133000kms so far so I think I got one of the good ones...  Would of course do it when clutch goes...

If you're over here by the weekend, we've got our 70th display and Baskerville laps on Saturday in Hobart - display outside Princes Wharf 1 building, opposite Salamanca Market

On the ferry this Sunday - at Baskerville mid-next week.  There seems to be more to this than meets the eye...  Apparently the mechanic tried to install the front coilover into the rear - which is why it doesn't fit - all confirmed.  BUT, the reason he attempted this is that the adjustable camber plate is on the rear coilover - to adjust it requires dropping the suspension as there's no access from the top of the mount (on the car) to make in-situ adjustments.  All getting confusing for me - I'm not sure where I am at.

I trust the mechanic (by reputation, not experience) and believe him when he says that getting the camber right will be a lot of time & $$$ to uninstall/adjust/reinstall each time the camber is to be changed.  I'm a bit lost in this at the moment - maybe I should be moving to the VENT thread... :Sweating:

45170562532_561dfaa76c_b.jpg

45170563042_b2203bab3c_b.jpg

she is coming back together, hope just one more week . All new front seals & belts, new sump gskt, new engine mounts, new steering shaft, new sway bar bushes, new thermostat, new control arms, new tie rod assembly’s, new shocks. New bank balance