What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

5 minutes ago, Spectre said:

Im feeling a bit silly, ive replaced the paint and the "carrera" script plust ive removed the 930 tail.

Well the orriginal car has no script and a tail. Granted its a different tail.  

What? you heathen! 

How dare you personalise your car....! That’s outrageous.... There goes the COA from Stuttgart.  You’re not going Porsche Heaven...

12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

What? you heathen! 

How dare you personalise your car....! That’s outrageous.... There goes the COA from Stuttgart.  You’re not going Porsche Heaven...

The tail, no tail is a complex debate.  Somewhat akin to a pork chops colour choice.  Dont get me started on the subject of head light squirting..... 

15 hours ago, Spectre said:

Received an email from PCV.  The original owner of my car wants to have chat.

Gave her a call. What a lovely lady.  A special person.  She emailed a photo of the car from 1977 or 78.

Nice! Had something similar happen purely by chance at last year's Seaworks PCV event where I was helping guide cars onto the pier with another couple. Conversation flowed to our Porsches and after a little discussion they concluded that mine was under their custodianship 3 owners prior! I now have a better knowledge of its time here in Melbourne a number of years ago and a few great photos of it lapping Phillip Island!

3 hours ago, Spectre said:

Here we go, thought it best to check with the original owner before posting.  Circa 1978

carrera 3.0 circa 1978.jpeg

Basically as i purchased 17 years ago

20180628_113745.jpg

As it now.  No tail, added script, fatter fuchs.  

IMG_0540.jpg

The polyurethane tail is a hard thing to love.  Removed mine, but kept it for originality.

Installed RS engine mounts into the 993.

Standard Vs RS

NX6C8wP.jpg

Not so easy to get out from under the aircon lines

VZOu5ni.jpg

Small bolt breaks while torqueing up at 40Nm.  Bolt extraction set fails.  Fortunately the distal end of the bolt protrudes enough to get a grip with a small vice grip.  We have to remove the aircon compressor for access and slowly turn the bolt 90 degrees at a time.  Lucky Porter's garage is fully stocked with tools.

AoM6171.jpg

Replacement bolts purchased and we are all good.

gRdYnf5.jpg

Cks3qJ5.jpg

hVKJxVH.jpg

12 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Re: RS Engine mounts

@D-banger... very keen to hear if you notice a difference to your car, Doug. I’ve been toying with this upgrade for awhile but got conflicting feedback which held me back.

It is not an expensive upgrade, relatively.

I will let you know after the next mountain drive.

11 minutes ago, Fraz said:

Nice work lads 

It was a bit nerve racking when the bolt broke, but lucky Steve has all the gear.

42 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Re: RS Engine mounts

@D-banger... very keen to hear if you notice a difference to your car, Doug. I’ve been toying with this upgrade for awhile but got conflicting feedback which held me back.

Hey Phil,

What was the conflicting feedback?

Having only driven a few 993s previous to mine, I found the RS mounts to add a lot to the driving experience. A much more solid feel to the car (although there are many other factors to my set up also)

Keen to hear your feedback @D-banger

20 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

But doesn't that add to the theater of the car? The car is not a daily driver...is it?

No it’s not but when a professional advises, I listened I guess.. maybe naively. You have a point and if not expensive I might go ahead and try it... (I’ve heard a few good things too)

4 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

That's the spirit brother!! Tighter handling - here we come :) 

Always appreciate some motivational talk, thanks @P-Kay !  Car is going in next week for a muffler update, so might just add this to the agenda!!

Ok... @P-Kay, @KG, @D-banger...anyone else, I’ve started checking out 993  RS engine mounts on the usual parts sites... Q: what aftermarket or OEM brand is the one you have or recommend? The price seems to vary quite a bit.  suggestions welcome...

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

The more solid, firmer mounts make the ride a bit harsh for road.

semi solid mounts on a G series chassis is in no way comparable to RS mounts on a 993, the advice you were given is correct, and should be listened to, RS mounts on a 993 is not an unpleasant experience.

3 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

semi solid mounts on a G series chassis is in no way comparable to RS mounts on a 993, the advice you were given is correct, and should be listened to, RS mounts on a 993 is not an unpleasant experience.

Thanks Steve, yes that’s what I was told way back.... so I called another independent authority just now and they confirmed same - 993 RS mounts for my car too much. But there are more intermediate ones not as harsh as 993 RS ones for my G car that might be more palatable.... 😋

Also, the 993 engine can be mounted in 2 ways in a G car - using G mount points or adapted to 993 points - apparently. So, need to confirm this on my car before proceeding.

• 3 weeks later...

Fabricated a fire extinguisher mount for 993 after an inspection of existing looked like it was about to fall out and turn into a potential missile.

First attempt (background) /prototype :rolleyes: and final version (left)

1dI5kno.jpg

Painted and lightened into an RS version :ph34r:

I4VY23F.jpg

Fitted in time for 1300km test

LdM1ugH.jpg

Gave the grey rims a spray with "Liquid Chrome" hahhaha yeah right. About as chrome as a mild polished alloy mixed with ol skool silver frost. I knew it'd come out like that and I'm really happy with it! Little outing around to Dbah for a photo opB)

fSWhc9Z.jpg