What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

11 hours ago, Airhead said:

Moved the 911 off to its new home.

image.thumb.jpeg.ece3035841bd178cfbbd27ce59392e5a.jpeg

Room for a mid rise scissor lift in there I think, or maybe even a two poster!

On 14/05/2020 at 01:46, Dreamr said:

Put LED globes into the gauges of the 924T ... bought some cheapies from Jaycar as I don't really drive it at night, it's for "just in case". They aren't dimmable, nor are they super duper bright, but they are fantastic for what they are ... the Series 1 only green gauges look absolutely to die for ... 😍😍

Now ... those of you that know me will have a lend due to my purist ways ... but ... while the candlestick glow of the 1980's is really cool, the workings of my late 60's eyes isn't as cool as it was in the 80's .. 😅

20200514_180407.jpg

That reverse sweep tach is cool - didn't know they had one of those!

Bit chilly around Emerald his morn. 6.45 left Croydon. From The Basin, Kallista, Emerald, Monbulk I had a free run not a car in front ever :Jumping: and only a few bikes. Passed 5 x 911's in Monbulk - longhood, 996, 993, SC I think, anyone here? Unfortuneatly bikes took over the hills from Emerald back to Olinda and Montrose but I'd had my fun. Nice cars out n about - New Lambo, Mustang Fastback, 36 Ford Roadster Rod, Maserati, MG....

malddpP.jpg

FDdDpB9.jpg

On 17/05/2020 at 17:01, Airhead said:

That spot is just for parking. Not enough head room in there for any lifts.

Got this in the work space.

image.thumb.jpeg.31da9ba4606dd6386b1be457f3b8e549.jpeg

Mr Airhead,

Can you share your impressions of your Maxjax hoist, I have been tossing up between one of these or a Belly lift hoist for home use.

Did you install the  Maxjax yourself? Is the Maxjax secured to the floor? What did you use to secure it to the floor? Did you know the thickness of the concrete? Do you move it around or leave it in the one location?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make an informed decision. Any advice is much appreciated.

22 hours ago, 81SC said:

Mr Airhead,

Can you share your impressions of your Maxjax hoist, I have been tossing up between one of these or a Belly lift hoist for home use.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to make an informed decision. Any advice is much appreciated.

Did you install the  Maxjax yourself?  Yes. PITB Very difficult to drill. Bolts required 25ml hole and slab is reinforced so had to drill, 12ml, then 18ml, then 25ml. agregate in the concrete made the drill jump around a far bit. Professional installer would have a better/bigger set up so would be much easier. 

Is the Maxjax secured to the floor? Yes. You couldn't use it free standing.

What did you use to secure it to the floor? Drop in anchor bolts. 25ml x 45ml deep.

Did you know the thickness of the concrete? I have 6" slab.

Do you move it around or leave it in the one location? Right side will stay in place. Left post taken down at the moment as short of storage space for cars. Once they are out of the way LHS goes back and a long term project will go on it.

18 hours ago, Airhead said:

Did you install the  Maxjax yourself?  Yes. PITB Very difficult to drill. Bolts required 25ml hole and slab is reinforced so had to drill, 12ml, then 18ml, then 25ml. agregate in the concrete made the drill jump around a far bit. Professional installer would have a better/bigger set up so would be much easier. 

Is the Maxjax secured to the floor? Yes. You couldn't use it free standing.

What did you use to secure it to the floor? Drop in anchor bolts. 25ml x 45ml deep.

Did you know the thickness of the concrete? I have 6" slab.

Do you move it around or leave it in the one location? Right side will stay in place. Left post taken down at the moment as short of storage space for cars. Once they are out of the way LHS goes back and a long term project will go on it.

Was the anchor bolts supplied by MaxJax? When installing a 2 post hoist with standard base you need 150mm concrete thickness. If you only have 100mm thickness you need to have larger base with outriggers. Best bolts to use are 16mm X 140mm through bolts 👍

I agree with PDean on the fastener diameter and length, 25mm x 45mm seams too big a diameter and too short a length.  I'm not 100% sure what a "drop in anchor" is but expect expansion is incorporated. 

The through bolt is better than a dynabolt because it expands over a shorter distance at the base and pulls up on the concrete however it still relies on some expansion.  A better option is a screwbolt that creates its own thread in the concrete and works utilising vertical mechanical interlock rather than horizontal expansion.  Expansion creates unwanted horizontal stress if you are drilling near the side of concrete, the screwbolt develops much less horizontal stress and they can be unwound easily without any protrusions if needed.  I think M16 x 125mm screwbolts would work well and they would have a much higher load strength (mechanical interlock over the length of the screw) when compared to longer M16 x 150 through bolts.

Also, expansion anchors can be a bugger if you don't drill deep enough, dust gets in the hole or they spin, tricky to get them out and try again.  Screwbolts are far simpler to install and adjust if needed, my 2 cents   :Beer:

Always loved your photos. Yes I will be Porscheless soon,  But the M140 is a faster aircraft to get me to the next airport where I will get a different one !

On my Porsche journey so far I cherish the times in the cockpit with you Niko and the others as we criss-crossed the mountains on our way to hours of merriment. I have driven every dream road in VIC/SA/ACT/TAS with many Porsche friends and competed with them as well on Road Rallies, Track and Hill Climbs.

I have along the way met many Porsche Celebrities, Professional drivers and enthusiast's -  to name a few Kez, Niko, Hugh, Jim etc, Ross Mathersen, Fitzy, Jim and Steve Richards, Bond, Bowe, Shane Jacobson, Eric Bana and the hard core PCV members and Porsche 944/968 owners. I have always enjoyed sharing with these people the Porsche passion, helping out with maintenance, advice on setup, parts and knowledge I have learned - especially 944/S2/968.

I still enjoy drives and meeting up with fellow Porsche lovers so whenever someone I know wants to get out for a drive any time of the week please call or drop me a message and we can get out and have a coffee and - Chew the Tarmac !

12 minutes ago, 9fan said:

Always loved your photos. Yes I will be Porscheless soon,  But the M140 is a faster aircraft to get me to the next airport where I will get a different one !

On my Porsche journey so far I cherish the times in the cockpit with you Niko and the others as we criss-crossed the mountains on our way to hours of merriment. I have driven every dream road in VIC/SA/ACT/TAS with many Porsche friends and competed with them as well on Road Rallies, Track and Hill Climbs.

I have along the way met many Porsche Celebrities, Professional drivers and enthusiast's -  to name a few Kez, Niko, Hugh, Jim etc, Ross Mathersen, Fitzy, Jim and Steve Richards, Bond, Bowe, Shane Jacobson, Eric Bana and the hard core PCV members and Porsche 944/968 owners. I have always enjoyed sharing with these people the Porsche passion, helping out with maintenance, advice on setup, parts and knowledge I have learned - especially 944/S2/968.

I still enjoy drives and meeting up with fellow Porsche lovers so whenever someone I know wants to get out for a drive any time of the week please call or drop me a message and we can get out and have a coffee and - Chew the Tarmac !

Good on you Mark, thanks for that.

I have to say that would be the first and only time, I have ever been mentioned in the same sentence as those special Porsche people.:)

Good luck with it again Mark..Someone will get a well sorted 968.

Having finished exterior detailing and coating of the GT3 it was the boss's 981 turn.  Probably 1/3 the way through, amazing how much time it takes to clean up a set of wheels!!!  Also got onto the tar removal trick - spray on WD40 / RP7 / CRC and watch the tar just dissolve - excellent!!.  However, something has me perplexed, something I haven't seen on any of the other 4 Porsches we own / have owned (shit, is it that many already!!!!).  Each of the Boxster rims had a dollop of what looks to be epoxy or similar (liquid nails type??) on the inside rim edge - per the photo.  Totally unsure whether it is a factory thing, something someone has done etc.  Any ideas???

20200523_143923_resized.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Old wheel balance weight adhesive....

Unless factory used other than foam adhesive pads, but don't think so, as the car has only had one tyre change, and the remains of the adhesive pads from the original balance weights are still there.....

56 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Having finished exterior detailing and coating of the GT3 it was the boss's 981 turn.  Probably 1/3 the way through, amazing how much time it takes to clean up a set of wheels!!!  Also got onto the tar removal trick - spray on WD40 / RP7 / CRC and watch the tar just dissolve - excellent!!.  However, something has me perplexed, something I haven't seen on any of the other 4 Porsches we own / have owned (shit, is it that many already!!!!).  Each of the Boxster rims had a dollop of what looks to be epoxy or similar (liquid nails type??) on the inside rim edge - per the photo.  Totally unsure whether it is a factory thing, something someone has done etc.  Any ideas???

20200523_143923_resized.jpg

Was it approximately the same on all 4 wheels? Is it something the car was driven through? Maybe goo from the last tyre change? Definitely weird.

3 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Was it approximately the same on all 4 wheels? Is it something the car was driven through? Maybe goo from the last tyre change? Definitely weird.

Yeah, pretty similar on all wheels, and certainly very well stuck on!!  Possibly not deliberate then.....