What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

I started an oil change two weeks ago and thought I would address some annoying issues, like the insulation hanging down

BAB14E0D-BDEE-4592-8E96-7D1FC8A323EC

So I bought a piece of aluminium angle extrusion and did this

3E59D3C0-EFDB-4D87-B030-873A8A398F75

I haven’t decided whether to paint it black or body colour or just leave it.  Big decision 🤔

Then started polishing the fan .....and finding hoses at end of their lives or missing and, and, and....ended up like this so far

C563BA0E-2FE6-4809-A364-8B7BA5CF7B06

21 hours ago, Stepo said:

I reckon paint it black , nice work

Thanks, I have tried blue with some masking tape.  Will have to get some black tape and see how it looks.

I found some tape today, pretty close match and black.  Any thoughts ?

4C8A04E8-C202-478C-8173-BE007A46BEE8

BB2DE7DD-4819-4D46-BFC4-5E1090D3FA56

On 28/06/2020 at 19:02, OZ930 said:

I started an oil change two weeks ago and thought I would address some annoying issues, like the insulation hanging down

I did an oil and filters change this morning. Funny thing though, my engine bay is still grubby. 🤷‍♂️

I noticed that the magnet on the engine drain plug only had tiny amount of build up, but the oil tank plug was pretty well coated in very fine material. 

Is this normal after 15000km’s?

On 28/06/2020 at 19:50, OZ930 said:

Thanks, I have tried blue with some masking tape.  Will have to get some black tape and see how it looks.

I found some tape today, pretty close match and black.  Any thoughts ?

4C8A04E8-C202-478C-8173-BE007A46BEE8

BB2DE7DD-4819-4D46-BFC4-5E1090D3FA56

black

On 30/06/2020 at 12:52, Harvs11 said:

I did an oil and filters change this morning. Funny thing though, my engine bay is still grubby. 🤷‍♂️

I noticed that the magnet on the engine drain plug only had tiny amount of build up, but the oil tank plug was pretty well coated in very fine material. 

Is this normal after 15000km’s?

Sorry for the late reply, I thought an expert may have jumped in.  In my experience, after 15,000 km there will be some build up on the plugs, not great chunks of metal though.  If there is, then you have a problem.  If it is grey sludge it may be that the oil has picked up some moisture via the breather and hasn’t been hot enough to boil it off before the oil change, if it it black sludge it is carbon from the combustion process, unless it is excessive. All these are normal, but I would suggest changing your oil more often. 15,000 to to 20,000km, although recommended by Porsche, just seems a bit excessive to me.  Oil is cheap insurance.

If you are really worried, split open your filter and check the element for shiny flecks of metal.

On 04/07/2020 at 10:38, mrar said:

Sticking this 72e back together on my Saturday.

Time consuming.

20200704_083306.jpg

Gorgeous gold 

Put full leather early recaro LX seats in continental orange targa  

just collected the 996 with a new alternator . Got prices as high as $2700 supply and fit.

Lucked it with a new Bosch alt. off gumtree and as

it was at the auto elec for diagnostics , they . fitted It , including a new belt ,as it turned out to be almost cactus for $348.00 

Mate and I spent a few hours disassembling the motor and gearbox from our partout '98 Boxster today.  You can see the results of our efforts in the first photo.  We also worked out why there had been no drive in the car, interesting looking clutch!!!

20200711_134256_resized.jpg

20200711_133042_resized.jpg

7 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Mate and I spent a few hours disassembling the motor and gearbox from our partout '98 Boxster today.  You can see the results of our efforts in the first photo.  We also worked out why there had been no drive in the car, interesting looking clutch!!!

20200711_133042_resized.jpg

Think someone got their  moneys worth out of that....:wacko:

On 05/07/2020 at 08:24, OZ930 said:

Sorry for the late reply, I thought an expert may have jumped in.  In my experience, after 15,000 km there will be some build up on the plugs, not great chunks of metal though.  If there is, then you have a problem.  If it is grey sludge it may be that the oil has picked up some moisture via the breather and hasn’t been hot enough to boil it off before the oil change, if it it black sludge it is carbon from the combustion process, unless it is excessive. All these are normal, but I would suggest changing your oil more often. 15,000 to to 20,000km, although recommended by Porsche, just seems a bit excessive to me.  Oil is cheap insurance.

If you are really worried, split open your filter and check the element for shiny flecks of metal.

Cheers @OZ930.  No chunks so not concerned.  It looks like very fine sludge which was obviously metallic as it was stuck to the magnets.  I was just curious as to the difference between the tank plug and the engine plug.

I usually aim at 10K oil changes but ...life.

With a rainy day I've now fixed all the minor cosmetic things I thought was off with the 987.2 I recently purchased.

- Adjusted the bonnet so that it isn't sunk down (at first I thought the car had been crashed but after some research I found out you just unscrew a couple of bolts inside the frunk to align it)

- Replaced the wheel bolts with titanium ones and coloured crest (no rust issues ever)

GEgSd31l.jpg

NCAAhlbl.jpg

- Replaced the silver side air intakes with black ones from the 'black edition' Boxster

U9zVWNjl.jpg

- Before & After

eBbC87Yl.jpg

t5SSqk7l.jpg

I've got some Apex SM-10 wheels arriving early next week to use as track wheels and have a bunch of other mods like Ohlins, Sway Bars, GT3 LCA's etc.. I'm planning to get done so I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it's a bit lower, has wider wheels and in track spec!

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, firstone said:

Woah.

What part is this?

Cast alloy?

It's the transmission damper for a 968 tiptronic.  It is located at the engine end of the driveline, and is used to join the engine to driveshaft.  You're right, it is part alloy and part rubber but mostly unobtainium.  It's about $3600 plus 12 hours of labour if you were to pay full rack rate for it.  A very expensive piece of kit.

1 hour ago, jakroo said:

It's the transmission damper for a 968 tiptronic.  It is located at the engine end of the driveline, and is used to join the engine to driveshaft.  You're right, it is part alloy and part rubber but mostly unobtainium.  It's about $3600 plus 12 hours of labour if you were to pay full rack rate for it.  A very expensive piece of kit.

So are you going to tell the story or is it a secret?