What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

So are you going to tell the story or is it a secret?

Pull up a stump Steve and I'll tell you the story.

It all started late last year.  I was driving it a fair bit (400km a week for 3 months) and it started to make a high tinging metallic sound.  It started to get louder and louder and one day I was headed to a mate's place in Newport when I decided to drive to see Bruce and Sean in Balgowlah.  I thought it was something like a metal shroud underneath had rattled loose.  After a 5 second listen to it, Bruce diagnosed it as a failed transmission damper.  Course of action - turn off immediately, don't drive any further and arrange for a tow to the nearest shed for quiet dismantling or rotting away.

I walked to the local shopping centre and waited for my wife to come and collect me.  Rang @Dreamr for a bit and then my wife and I headed back to Bruce's for a more rational discussion.  All was not lost there were a few options but it was going to take lots of money.  We proceeded to Newport as planned.

I towed is back home a few days later and it's been in my shed for the past 6 months while we worked out a plan.  We could buy the part new (but old) from Bob Whyms Automotive but Bruce and Sean were reluctant to do that given the age of the part.  We could cobble together parts of a 944 clutch, ring gear and other bits n bobs to create a permanent fix but while this had been mentioned many times overseas, there was no real feedback on success.  We could manufacture a similar part but in all metal and this too would be a permanent fix but noise and vibration may become an issue.  Porsche included this rubber damper in the transmission for a reason so while the torque converter could absorb a lot of the vibration, there must have been more than it could deal with on a long term.

So after a lot of thought and discussions with various Porsche independents and so on, I decided to have a detailed chat to Bob Whyms and see what he thought.  He was easy to chat with (thanks Bob) and fully frank.  Yes the part was old but it was direct from Porsche and had been stored correctly.  Heat, sunlight and petro chemicals hurt rubber and this part hadn't had any of those exposures.  Yes this part would eventually fail but deal with that at the time, it could be another 20 years away.  Yes you could manufacture a solid metal thing to do the job but NVH would be an issue and would lead to other issues.

Pricing was discussed and Bob did cut me a great price on the part (thanks again Bob).  I needed to save up a bit more and last week it was time to book it in.  I did that, towed it there on Wednesday and I picked it up yesterday.  Popped another 200kms on it on the way home 🙂.  I friggin love this car.

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Freaky / horrifying stuff found today during further dismantling of our part-out Boxster.  Really glad we didn't decide to make this one the runner!!!  Coffin arm takes on a whole new meaning.......

20200808_150222_resized.jpg

I’d love to see some GoPro footage of that under load driving down the road 😳

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Did a quick little change to the interior and swapped out the cushions.

Went a little old school . 

BFA3A519-998C-4C75-A311-275FC3ABED4B.jpeg

If anyone is thinking the same I used this company . Terrific to deal with 

https://p1designs.com/

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Freaky / horrifying stuff found today during further dismantling of our part-out Boxster.  Really glad we didn't decide to make this one the runner!!!  Coffin arm takes on a whole new meaning.......

At least they used bolts and not pop rivets 

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Someone should go to jail for that 

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Did a quick little change to the interior and swapped out the cushions.

Went a little old school . 

BFA3A519-998C-4C75-A311-275FC3ABED4B.jpeg

Much classier 

12 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

F#*K ME DRUNK....:RockingDeath:

25 minutes ago, LeeM said:

"So whats your car doing mate?" 

"Not sure. It just feels weird as I turn into a corner...kinda vague, bouncy feeling" 

Crikey! 😳

Dunno whether they were ever able to do a wheel alignment after that "improvement" either....

1 hour ago, tk111 said:

With the help of a mate last Sunday and a solo effort today, I stripped the front end down.  Also thanks to @Graeme for lending me the ball joint removal tool. With a strategically placed floor jack and tie down straps I managed to get the old ball joints off.

8718065B-B121-4469-BC38-160302AC4CB1.jpeg

61065396-3CB6-423F-BAA1-B5DF1D5990B5.jpeg

Looks like good progress tk111. A bit of elbow grease to clean things up, a little more make it fresh again and then some fun fitting the new shiny bits - hope to see more photos soon.

So ... the day after I bought the 996 C4S, I noticed that with the door open, the window would go back up the little notch usually done after you close the door. Turns out a micro-switch in the door actuator gave way and wasn't registering the door open.

Got myself a replacement actuator and spent a couple of hours fitting it. Now works like it should ... it's definitely the little wins that matter! ..