What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

4 hours ago, spiller said:

@Cam Arnott looks much better! Is that the factory radio for all 996 cars? Funnily enough in almost 3 years of having one I can’t remember ever using it 😂

Funnily enough I can't see myself using it a whole lot either but the improvement in looks is worth it alone! Its the first 911 I've had with a radio 😂

My better half loves driving the 996 and complained about the doors not auto locking when she takes off.

The car's manual says you can have either of three options activated by your local dealer, so called PC Brighton who said it would be a quick job and would do it for free if there were no surprises.  Turned out to be straight forward and no charge applied which I think's pretty good in this day and age for a dealer that i don't normally go to, thumbs up for PCB.

50 minutes ago, Stepo said:

My better half loves driving the 996 and complained about the doors not auto locking when she takes off.

The car's manual says you can have either of three options activated by your local dealer, so called PC Brighton who said it would be a quick job and would do it for free if there were no surprises.  Turned out to be straight forward and no charge applied which I think's pretty good in this day and age for a dealer that i don't normally go to, thumbs up for PCB.

This would be cool to have on. Does it automatically unlock for you when you open the door handle from the inside, like new cars do? 

Not quite the Porsche, but I put up a tyre rack for my set of track wheels.  Used Bunnings Rack-it 400kg frames, screwed one of the cross pieces to the wall so it won't fall over, and voila, tyre rack for all of $100 or so.  Pretty happy with that.

IMG20201219153111 (Medium).jpg

IMG20201219153035 (Medium).jpg

On 18/12/2020 at 15:27, Stepo said:

The option code I went for locks at 5km and its then like central locking, you need to pull the handle twice to open.

I think the other two options are higher speed or when the ignition is turned on?

Yep did the same option this week at PCW,love it

-IMG_4302.thumb.jpg.9bd41721f23195d433770c4c61b992e2.jpgsome yellow stuff  finally out of boxes and seeing some daylight.

Some matching yellow bits to go with the bigger discs.  Fills out the space behind the stock 18 inch sportivo's nicely.  Goes harder than a gt3 so deserves some  similar stopping power.  Looking  forward to reducing the 4x4 stock look.

IMG_4308(1).jpg

Never a huge fan of convertibles , however the boxtsa is growing on me . Took the roof down for the first time last night for a proppa  summas night... got home and put it up to hear a ..sharp kraaak.from behind my right ear .

thought it was the ball socket joint end of the strut letting go from the roof drive mechanism, as they are known to. 

this time it was the other end . The pin sheared. I understand this is designed  to occur saving damage to the gear mechanism 

Welded it up, roof closes and the clamshell don’t flap about no more 

001(11).HEIC

001(9).HEIC

001(16).jpg

Did a photo shoot with my  BBC.😎   

First time out since it had a ceramic coating a fortnight ago.   

I only had from the doors back done as the front is wrapped.

Bit hard to show how good the finish is on a black car, but basically it looks and feels like a sheet of glass over the paintwork.

Great job, very happy with it.

IMG_7125.JPG.96138c1bffe14d78cd3c58eab23a012b.JPGIMG_7130.JPG.7d68a560ffa8ce35441b8fa694c2dc56.JPGIMG_7131.JPG.63331b239c6301000e08836c142e6b61.JPGIMG_7091.JPG.31d69a8f9aeedf2b027df4e182002164.JPGIMG_7089.JPG.8f0aad74a60d13282b549af7e1f8cd57.JPGIMG_7140.JPG.1a2505cb5960b891b4b7e64b225169c3.JPG

On 23/12/2020 at 21:17, smit2100 said:

-IMG_4302.thumb.jpg.9bd41721f23195d433770c4c61b992e2.jpgsome yellow stuff  finally out of boxes and seeing some daylight.

Some matching yellow bits to go with the bigger discs.  Fills out the space behind the stock 18 inch sportivo's nicely.  Goes harder than a gt3 so deserves some  similar stopping power.  Looking  forward to reducing the 4x4 stock look.

IMG_4308(1).jpg

Well Murphy's law has struck.   Had an issue with  the right rear  brake pads ( rear gt3 pads ex 4 porsche dealers was circa 2-3 weeks ex germany and price ranged from 675 to 895.  Mechanic landed some textars delivered to his garage in three hours for less than a third of the cheapest quote from the dealers., but  I  missed my slot at the wheel aligners  just before Chrissy after the Ohlins sat in a box for a couple of years.   However perhaps missing the slot was a good thing as the next day   in my mechanics junk box  was an email that Ohlins are doing a  world wide  recall  on their coilovers for 996 /997 ( certain model batch). I have lucked out and have the dodgy struts and mount components.  Now waste of time doing any geometry work to dial in the alignment.  If I had got the slot just before Chrissy, would not have driven the car anyway  and pissed away the cost of the geoemetry work as the front shocks need to be be ripped out and replaced with ohlins supplied replacements.  However  parts  are at least 4 weeks off ex Uk  ( need to come via original supplier) and who knows deliveries under covid. 

I have asked the question on consequentials   and be interesting to  see what if any contribution ohlins make to the consequentials ( I'm thinking Tata airbag style on my m3 as a baseline)  eg labour to rip out the existing ones and replace, labour to   box up the defective ones that's seen 20m of travel on them and sending  them back to Ohlins   and  what about the required  front  wheel re alignment costs.    

As I am on a yellow binge, could be an opportunity to attach a couple of smaller boxes to the replacement shocks.  Eg genuine  yellow 997 front seat belts or is that going further erode the resale value.  Too much of a bitsa with the yellow parts.

• 2 weeks later...