What did you do to your Porsche today ???

cyberpunky

My 87 Carrera shifter went all sloppy recently and almost felt like a 915 (jokes!!). So ordered replacement bushings for the G50 and replaced them during our 3-day Perth lockdown over the weekend.  Wow, so good to be shifting nicely again.  Drove her to work this morning so smiling all day.

Found the culprit:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Something for 996 owners to check every now and then - I just happened to remove my battery the other day only to find some corrosion.

Due to the design and location of the battery tray, some water (after rain/washing etc) can pool where the recessed nuts for the tray are located.

Over time, corrosion can set in - If you catch it early enough it's no drama - Catch is, that you need to remove the battery to check - Many owners would not bother until the battery requires replacing.... If extremely bad, corrosion could/may transfer to the actual internal body metal.

In my case one of the nuts experienced reasonably heavy corrosion and the rust had just started to spread to the tray itself.

A bit of wet & dry, can of paint and some new galvanised 8mm nuts and it is good as new.

Probably a good thing to check if purchasing a used vehicle.

b4KrcI.jpg

RxHfcC.jpg

On 03/04/2021 at 13:49, cyberpunky said:

Fitted some custom laser etched switches to console

IMG_20210403_002913_352.jpg

I also got car on ramps and cleaned under tray, then got back up and polished the fabspeed cat back

20210402_165129.jpg

Hey Bruce,

it's been a while since I've seen you on here.  Great to see that you're still having fun with your red rocket. 👍

I hadn't touched my car since early March so I was pretty pleased when it fired up today on the first crank.  I replaced the 350mm MOMO GT steering wheel as I just can't hold it in the tight fast corners of the roads I like to play on. I'm getting a bit old and worn out. The original went back on,  It feels like driving a BUS. 🙄  I only went around the block and along the beach road near me but it's so much easier now.  One handed cornering is back. 

On 07/04/2021 at 10:55, cyberpunky said:

Sooo disappointing, as have wanted one of these for the longest time, and would have proudly displayed the brand, as I think its such a great product. Fitment and quality is as good as it gets, so it's a real let down they didn't care enough to represent their brand properly and dropped the quality control on something so simple as putting a sticker on straight

RD aren't exactly known for high quality gear.. I bought one of those braces for my 924 and they'd put the same mount plates on both ends...! So there was absolutely no way you could fit it without building an entirely new mount plate. F'ing hopeless, so a misaligned decal is the least of their QA concerns...

strutbraceFAIL.JPG.8ec2bcded968871abf2d417fd4e9e9c5.JPG

On 12/05/2021 at 09:37, pocketscience said:

RD aren't exactly known for high quality gear.. I bought one of those braces for my 924 and they'd put the same mount plates on both ends...! So there was absolutely no way you could fit it without building an entirely new mount plate. F'ing hopeless, so a misaligned decal is the least of their QA concerns...

strutbraceFAIL.JPG.8ec2bcded968871abf2d417fd4e9e9c5.JPG

yeah they must have serious issues with quality control. Did you contact them or vendor? Pelican are trying to get me a new sticker, but that's nothing compared to that stuff up on yours. Quality of the brace and fitment on mine is excellent, as would yours be, I'm sure, if you actually got correct parts. RD didn't even reply to my email though. Very disappointing to see that

15 hours ago, TINGY said:

Sorry Bruce but it's points off here for the rusty nuts on the back of the gearbox, couldn't help myself:D

you have no idea how much that bugs me 🤣

I have been thinking of hand colouring them with a texta. Paintings out as might make them too hard to get off when needed

8 hours ago, cyberpunky said:

I have been thinking of hand colouring them with a texta. Paintings out as might make them too hard to get off when needed

If it bugs you enough, find out the sizes from a parts book and purchase a set of sacrificial replacements from your local fastener store - presuming they are nothing special it will only be a few dollars.  Remove each original bolt and replace with the new ones one at a time, fully torqueing to spec before removing the next original one.  So after that you have a set of rusty-headed original bolts which you clean up on the wire wheel and take to your local plating shop and ask them to refinish them in bright zinc.  Repeat the process reinstalling your nice freshly plated original bolts and enjoy lying under your car with 100% satisfaction! :D

I have done this on motorcycle crankcases etc where I wanted to retain the original bolts with the correct head stampings etc but didn't want to disassemble.  I've never had any issues with leaks etc when swiftly replacing one at a time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2021 at 12:30, pocketscience said:

Shiny brass Luftgekuhlt badge from Germany - took forever for them to get here, but worth the wait I think..

IMG_2999D.JPG

nice, any links

On 01/06/2021 at 13:01, Tips said:

nice, any links

The company that provide them in Germany don't ship internationally. Thankfully I have a colleague in Germany who bought and forwarded a handful to me. I haven't tallied up my landed costs yet, but if you're interested in one drop me a PM.

On 14/05/2021 at 23:26, cyberpunky said:

Paint them with rust converter.  Takes the top oxidization layer and converts it.  They will turn black, stop rusting and look presentable (if not perfect)