Budget banging - sensible, but interesting cars for sensible $$$

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

just looking for a modern, reliable, non-precious daily which still has some excitement/squirt factor....

BMW 135 - later model with single turbo N55 donk. N54 had issues, notably a penchant for grenading its turbos.

A chipped 3 litre straight 6 turbo in rear wheel drive = squirt

8 hours ago, Jason E said:

@OzJustinhad one of these I believe though his was a bit hotted up I recall.  He may be able to give you further.

It was a BMW 135i (twin turbo) mate. 250rwkw on a basic tune with bolt ons. 😎The 125i is the NA version.

To the OP - I had one for 3.5 years and it was a fantastic car. The 2008-mid-2010 is the N54 twin turbo engine (same as in the 1M). The late 2010 onwards use the N55 twin scroll single turbo engine. They are both excellent engines and respond very well to tuning. The N55 is arguably more reliable but the N54 has better performance potential. The engines themselves are very strong. It’s the ancilliaries that are the common failure points e.g rattling wastegates, high pressure fuel pump, injectors, water pump etc. My car was perfect the whole time apart from a dead water pump at the 60kkm mark. Treat it with respect and it will look after you.

If you’re after a two door auto or dual clutch then I’d recommend a 135i or even a 335i (put some money aside for maintenance though). If you’re after a four door then like others have said, I’d go test drive a VW Golf GTI or R.

Happy hunting. 😊

On 07/08/2019 at 00:54, Jason E said:

I recently purchased a 2 owner 2009 VW Golf GTI with 80klms as an auto daily.  It is outstanding for the money paid (11,500).  Heaps of go, brilliant handling & shed loads of room (comparatively).  I don't think you can go wrong.

I'd also very seriously consider a Skoda Octavia RS wagon (same Golf GTI powerplant).  We've had the larger Skoda Superb since 2015 & it is very, very good value. 

This is the answer 

57 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Certainly one way to show you stand behind your product & believe in it's quality. 

4 minutes ago, Coastr said:

Or to build an expected average warranty repair cost into the RRP

This is an interesting subject for me, in the case of the i30N line & Cerrato GT they are practically the same core unit, yet the Cerrato GT can be had for less $$ than H, and there is more standard equipment. 

So does that ultimately translate into better value for the consumer? You would think that the added equipment erodes any margin they may have over the equivalent Hyundai product? 

In some reports I have read, the Kia is said to cost about $100 p.a. more than the Hyundai to maintain through their dealer network, is $700 all they need to claw back? 

A few days in, and after a some recommendations, this is the shortlist I've come back with: 

• Kia Cerrato GT Hatch 
  • i30 N line hatch 
  • Skoda Octavia RS Wagon 
  • Volkswagen Alltrack wagon 

Granted the last two are sitting at a higher price point, and different body type being wagons, they are still in that "small car" category, I'd like to see if the extra size and engineering, overall feel of the package is worth the premium... will start looking this weekend. 

Golf GTI isn't of any desire to me, cool cars and all but too fully taboleh these days... 

19 minutes ago, edgy said:

This is an interesting subject for me, in the case of the i30N line & Cerrato GT they are practically the same core unit, yet the Cerrato GT can be had for less $$ than H, and there is more standard equipment. 

So does that ultimately translate into better value for the consumer? You would think that the added equipment erodes any margin they may have over the equivalent Hyundai product? 

In some reports I have read, the Kia is said to cost about $100 p.a. more than the Hyundai to maintain through their dealer network, is $700 all they need to claw back? 

A few days in, and after a some recommendations, this is the shortlist I've come back with: 

• Kia Cerrato GT Hatch 
  • i30 N line hatch 
  • Skoda Octavia RS Wagon 
  • Volkswagen Alltrack wagon 

Granted the last two are sitting at a higher price point, and different body type being wagons, they are still in that "small car" category, I'd like to see if the extra size and engineering, overall feel of the package is worth the premium... will start looking this weekend. 

Golf GTI isn't of any desire to me, cool cars and all but too fully taboleh these days... 

I drove a Golf R wagon a few months back.  Holy Shitfire.  What a missile.  I get what your saying though, they do attract a "Racer Boy" type following (sadly gives the more normal enthusiasts a bad name perhaps).  So much versatility & bang for buck.  My next $$$ will be on a sleeper Octavia RS.

On 09/08/2019 at 12:17, edgy said:
  • Kia Cerrato GT Hatch 
  • Skoda Octavia RS Wagon 

After burning our entire Sunday in car dealers, this is the final pair, both with their pros & cons... however, a spanner in the works, when I went to Hyundai yesterday (last port of call) I ended up driving the i30 N Performance hatch, holy hell, what a car... the driving modes are much raved about in reviews, and rightfully so, you have the ability to drive like miss daisy and have all the comfort of doing so, in N mode, its a demon! The grip from that electronic LSD is pretty incredible you can really get to the power early because of it... the deal breaker here is NO DCT offered, at least not yet, lots of press about one coming late 2019, but nothing on the web to suggest an official date, dealers seem to be of the same stance... if it was close, I would wait... I tried it on, but my better half is just saying no this time (hence the tiptronic boxster) she's done driving manuals daily she said, and I have to respect that... plus a DCT N would be more bad ass I reckon! Although that rev matching (up & down) is sweet. 

So I am wondering if its worth awaiting a DCT version of N, you just know what happens in these situations apply murphys law, I'll buy something and it'll be released. 

The other two, 

Cerrato GT - exceeds expectations, so much equipment for the $$ and very playful car, me being used to PDK, their DCT isn't in the same league, I could use some more torque too... the ride is tuned for handling, and being a fixed rate damper, its always "on" so to speak... I really can't say much bad about this thing, it IS a great little car. 

Octavia RS - turns out to get equipment we'd "want" your pushing a sticker price of $50k, so this is quite a chunk more than the Kia obviously , but in a totally different league, build quality and "feel" is up there too with leather/alcantara diamond quilted seating, I love the torque you get in the bigger engine, and the RS 245 gets adjustable dampers, which, like the i30N you can turn its personality on and off... that is a big sell. BUT its a good chunk of church change more... 

I am really a little at a loss what to do here :lol:

7 minutes ago, edgy said:

After burning our entire Sunday in car dealers, this is the final pair, both with their pros & cons... however, a spanner in the works, when I went to Hyundai yesterday (last port of call) I ended up driving the i30 N Performance hatch, holy hell, what a car... the driving modes are much raved about in reviews, and rightfully so, you have the ability to drive like miss daisy and have all the comfort of doing so, in N mode, its a demon! The grip from that electronic LSD is pretty incredible you can really get to the power early because of it... the deal breaker here is NO DCT offered, at least not yet, lots of press about one coming late 2019, but nothing on the web to suggest an official date, dealers seem to be of the same stance... if it was close, I would wait... I tried it on, but my better half is just saying no this time (hence the tiptronic boxster) she's done driving manuals daily she said, and I have to respect that... plus a DCT N would be more bad ass I reckon! Although that rev matching (up & down) is sweet. 

So I am wondering if its worth awaiting a DCT version of N, you just know what happens in these situations apply murphys law, I'll buy something and it'll be released. 

The other two, 

Cerrato GT - exceeds expectations, so much equipment for the $$ and very playful car, me being used to PDK, their DCT isn't in the same league, I could use some more torque too... the ride is tuned for handling, and being a fixed rate damper, its always "on" so to speak... I really can't say much bad about this thing, it IS a great little car. 

Octavia RS - turns out to get equipment we'd "want" your pushing a sticker price of $50k, so this is quite a chunk more than the Kia obviously , but in a totally different league, build quality and "feel" is up there too with leather/alcantara diamond quilted seating, I love the torque you get in the bigger engine, and the RS 245 gets adjustable dampers, which, like the i30N you can turn its personality on and off... that is a big sell. BUT its a good chunk of church change more... 

I am really a little at a loss what to do here :lol:

That's a lot about what you think, considering it's going to be for your other half :). What does she think?  If she doesn't value the extra stuff in the Skoda better to save your pennies.  Forget the Hyundai if the car is needed about now. Which it is by the sounds of things.  It's a shopping trolley so don't agonise too much and I think you've done your due diligence.  Don't forget the 7 year warranty with the Kia...

On 08/08/2019 at 11:02, LeeM said:

Renault Megane? Stew has one and seems to like it 

I can second the Megane, I had an RS Cup Trophy 265. I bought one new kept it for 4 years as my daily - sold it a little over a year ago. Chipped it and binned the cat from new - so 300hp and 420nm. 

Just bought another one, Trophy R this time and second hand - let the first owner suck up the depreciation. This car is similar spec to GT3 CS and they only produced 250 globally. It is the 7.54 lap time car on Nürburgring, one second less that Ferrari F430.

Some more options to consider

1 hour ago, Pork Chops said:

That's a lot about what you think, considering it's going to be for your other half :). What does she think?  If she doesn't value the extra stuff in the Skoda better to save your pennies.  Forget the Hyundai if the car is needed about now. Which it is by the sounds of things.  It's a shopping trolley so don't agonise too much and I think you've done your due diligence.  Don't forget the 7 year warranty with the Kia...

Yes, of course, but I have to live with the damn thing too... to a much lesser degree as you say! We keep circling back to the Kia, she's already sold... so maybe you're right, save the pennies and put it toward the pending GT3 repaint :lol: 

25 minutes ago, Jason A said:

I can second the Megane, I had an RS Cup Trophy 265. I bought one new kept it for 4 years as my daily - sold it a little over a year ago. Chipped it and binned the cat from new - so 300hp and 420nm. 

Just bought another one, Trophy R this time and second hand - let the first owner suck up the depreciation. This car is similar spec to GT3 CS and they only produced 250 globally. It is the 7.54 lap time car on Nürburgring, one second less that Ferrari F430.

Some more options to consider

I do french food & wine, but not brave enough to do french cars yet... and you know I am brave with a wine list ;) 

@edgy yes your the big kahuna on the wine. 

I wouldn’t worry about the reliability of the later Meganes. I tracked mine prolifically over the 4 years and never had an issue. The only thing I ever had to do was remove the front pads and sand them down as I baked them at QR and couldn’t stop them squeezing. I can assure you it was driven hard.

On the older Renault’s I agree reliability was an issue.

Well we finally buried the hatchet on this today, after me being bed ridden all week... we spent this afternoon assessing two other options, firstly the new Mazda 3, I earlier dismissed it due to cost and it’s powertrain, but after looking at some other more pricey options we felt it was a dis-service to ourselves to not drive one at least,  and, well? It’s a lovely cabin, one of the nicer ones you’ll get into for a small car, and ride is pretty nice, but that motor and trans are just not up to the task for a circa $40k small car. 

We owned an Audi some years back, and really liked it, but being the A1, it was small... we ended up doing some homework and researching the A3 Sportback,  as this is the correct size car for the job... we spent the balance of our afternoon there today, and felt that this car was the right overall package for us, nice style, subtle, sporty yet comfortable, good drivability since you get peak torque from 1500rpm (Mazda 3 is basically same peak torque at 4000rpm), fit & finish is nice as you expect and lots of good equipment inclusions in their A3 35 TFSI S-Line plus (even includes the virtual cockpit) but it was a bit pricey prior to discounting.

We ended up negotiating very hard on that A3 S-Line, successfully. So looks like we’re back to having an Audi in the fold. 

For less than Mazda 3 Astina money, we’re very happy. 

16 hours ago, edgy said:

For less than Mazda 3 Astina money, we’re very happy. 

That's awesome, who believe that you could get an Audi cheaper than a Mazda, I'm thinking the A3 might be my next car, what engine did you get edgy?

3 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

That's awesome, who believe that you could get an Audi cheaper than a Mazda, I'm thinking the A3 might be my next car, what engine did you get edgy?

The 35 TFSI comes with the 1.4 Turbo making 110kw @ 6000 rpm and 250nm Tq @ 1500rpm, so its plenty for what we want it for... not the hot-rod I'd like in an ideal world, but I already have my hot-rod I guess? :lol: 

On the pricing, they are in my experience very open to negotiating.. don't be afraid to go hard on that! 

I forgot to mention, another kicker is we qualified for corporate service plan, which means 3 years of servicing at nil cost, we had this is in the past and it was great.. it somewhat helps the value proposition when it comes to ownership costs. It's always worth checking if you're employer is enrolled in that program (my fiancé was in this case). 

3 hours ago, reggiegums said:

I know you're after a small car but if you were looking at a big car, I'd recommend the V8 Volvo XC90.

We already have a family bus ;) 

On 12/08/2019 at 16:15, Jason A said:

@edgy yes your the big kahuna on the wine. 

I wouldn’t worry about the reliability of the later Meganes. I tracked mine prolifically over the 4 years and never had an issue. The only thing I ever had to do was remove the front pads and sand them down as I baked them at QR and couldn’t stop them squeezing. I can assure you it was driven hard.

On the older Renault’s I agree reliability was an issue.

I have a late 2015 Cup 265.  Bought new in Jan 2016. It's an amazing car, with zero issues. BUT. I don't know Edgy or his wife, but I suspect that she, like most women, would likely get jack of it pretty quick.  The ride is harsh. When I bought it I was 6" 3" tall. Now I'm 5" 6".   But it goes like a cat shot in the arse, it steers like it's on rails, & it stops like you wouldn't believe.   And if you get a flat tyre on the front, you have to take a rear tyre off, put it on the front, and put the spare on the back.  I've not actually had to do it, but it would be a total ball ache.

@Stew F agree on the harsh ride. I missed my old 265 RS that much so I just bought a 275 Trophy R - what a great car. It is about 95% of the thrill of driving a 996 GT3 for 20% of the price.

Its rarer also, only 250 produced globally and 50 of those were delivered here. 

We are the lucky country 👌

We've both always liked the Megane RS (and hot Peugeots actually) ... but its probably too biased toward the hot hatch, so we can never quite find the "fit" for it,  also a new one is quite a big chunk more $$ than anything I had looked at! 

The Audi is gonna have to do it :lol:

I honestly think if Hyundai makes the i30 N Performance hatch in a DCT, that is going to be "the" hot hatch to buy if you want to fly under the radar... not that it isn't already if you can live with the 3 pedal version. 

23 hours ago, edgy said:

We've both always liked the Megane RS (and hot Peugeots actually) ... but its probably too biased toward the hot hatch, so we can never quite find the "fit" for it,  also a new one is quite a big chunk more $$ than anything I had looked at! 

The Audi is gonna have to do it :lol:

I honestly think if Hyundai makes the i30 N Performance hatch in a DCT, that is going to be "the" hot hatch to buy if you want to fly under the radar... not that it isn't already if you can live with the 3 pedal version. 

If you want a cool car, and a DSG, have a look at a Clio RS220.  Nice ladies car (tho I know a couple of guys who are on their 2nd & 3rd ones), a bit softer ride than the Megane 3 RS, and cheaper.  The new Meg4 RS has both manual and DSG.