• 4 weeks later...

Sold the XJ6 so I have room in the garage to do a bit more work on this car (and hopefully an XJR later this year.)

The  distorted trim on the rear window and the corroded trim on left rear window have annoyed me ever since buying this car so am currently sorting that out.  Once the wheels are painted it will be pretty well flawless on the exterior then. 

Also bought a full Lakewell carpet kit and will be doing a bit more sound deadening as on some trips being able to hear the radio would be nice.  After a bit of hunting around I came across Car Builders and have bought a selection of their sound proofing stuff.  I was impressed with what they achieved on the hot rod without too much effort and propose to replicate much of what they have done but without losing that old 911 quaintness of removal mats and easily exposed floorpan.  Consequently I don't intend to replace any of the existing OEM bitumen panels with butyl sheeting for example.

Replacing and Upgrading Undercarpet Insulation in Your Classic - YouTube

IMG_0122.jpg

A couple of questions Pete.

How are you going to deal with corroded rear side window trim?

Are you stripping the wheels and re-anodising?

I also need to re-finish both exterior door handles & door window frames. I don't suppose you've found a definitive answer to the question of their coating, ie. anodised, powder coated or painted?

Hi Phil,

It was actually the trim piece that sit on the top of the 3/4 panel and below the rear window.  It was heavily pitted under the window rubber. 

The black trim pieces are all just painted from the factory so a bit of prep, a squirt of etch primer and satin black brings them back like new.

The wheels just need a good clean and the black bits repainted.  The anodising is fortunately fine.

We need to organise another run!

• 5 months later...

This guy obviously loves 3.2's.  Who can blame him!

He does a pretty good job on describing one (USA) model year from another.

(110) 3.2-liter 1984-89 Porsche 911 Carrera: Everything you need to know | PCA Spotlight - YouTube

Though he did a criminal job on describing the rear reflector changes I thought! 

• 3 months later...

I've been pondering how to fit ITB's but keep the AC compressor for some time and thought that swapping the compressor over for the slightly shorter type used on 964's/993's  would do the trick.  However looking at the engine photos in the attached shows this either doesn't work or they have some issue with having the compressor in full view!

Heavily-modified 1990 Porsche 964 developed in Australia sells (whichcar.com.au)

1990_porsche_964_reengineered5.jpg

Never thought of relocating the compressor and installing a shaft extension.  Also odd that they keep that horrible belt drive distributor on such a high dollar build too.

However Singer manage to combine ITB's and the standard compressor so am a bit confused with what they are trying to achieve with this build.

Singer-Porsche-Engine-1024x576.jpg

PR Tech in Sydney build the 964 with the shaft driven AC compressor , from my understanding the compressor is moved forward towards the firewall and hidden , I am certain if you gave PR Tech a Ring or email and asked about how the system works they would be very helpful , they great guy,s passionate about the brand  .

I to find it odd as to why they went to such lengths to hide the AC compressor as I think it looks perfectly fine on the Singer Cars ..

https://www.prtechnology.com.au/pages/contact-us

9 hours ago, Raven said:

I to find it odd as to why they went to such lengths to hide the AC compressor as I think it looks perfectly fine on the Singer Cars ..

Raven, I also find the dual air cleaners odd as well.  Most people just use a single K&N filter mounted very discretely in front of the manifold and under the parcel shelf. Cheap, simple  and effective if properly maintained.

It seems they've gone out of their way to solve two problems that didn't really exist.  Very nice build otherwise.  Except why keep that horrible belt drive distributor.....

i remember once being told by a VW engineer the intake on a beetle was where it was due to the air pressure in that location (same with a 911 i'd imagine)

they do go to great lenghts to manage airflow with seals and tinware around the engine

wonder how the volume of intake air is affected by air filter location?

btw what made you chose your ECU over the equivilent haltech?

On 15/12/2021 at 08:00, Raven said:

PR Tech in Sydney build the 964 with the shaft driven AC compressor , from my understanding the compressor is moved forward towards the firewall and hidden , I am certain if you gave PR Tech a Ring or email and asked about how the system works they would be very helpful , they great guy,s passionate about the brand  .

https://www.prtechnology.com.au/pages/contact-us

maybe they wanted to bring a bit of 'italian flair' to a german car?

like the shaft driven AC compressor on an old maserati (which runs of a camshaft, and if you're lucky you can break a cam on startup by leaving the AC compressor engaged) 🤣

6 hours ago, Russ said:

i remember once being told by a VW engineer the intake on a beetle was where it was due to the air pressure in that location (same with a 911 i'd imagine)

they do go to great lenghts to manage airflow with seals and tinware around the engine

wonder how the volume of intake air is affected by air filter location?

btw what made you chose your ECU over the equivilent haltech

Russ,

I can't imagine that VW or Porsche chose the air cleaner inlet locations for any other reason that it was convenient and well protected from water ingress.  The fact the inlet air temperature is essentially ambient as well was just dumb luck I guess!

As for air pressure at the inlet I've never seen any data on the existing or alternative arrangements.  All the photos of normally aspirated race and rally cars I've ever seen simply pick up air from the engine compartment too.  What would be interesting is to see if there is any difference in the air pressure in the engine compartment between a tail-less car and a whale tail car.  Easy to do with a modern ECU with data logging using the MAP sensor output against engine speed in 3rd or 4th.  I would expect there would be as there is a reasonably big difference given the data on the difference in the rear end lift both tails give.

ECU choice?   I did the 2 day Haltech tuning course, which was excellent and was a great blend of theory and practical, so I was very open to a Haltech purchase.  However I went Motec as a result of a recommendation from my chosen tuner and a bit of urging from @TINGY! ( My tuner's second preference was Link by the way and wasn't a great fan of Haltech even though he had tuned many including Uncle's various turbo monsters.)

Regrets?  After 2 years, none at all.  It still surprises me how creamy smooth and revy it is whenever I drive it.

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

.......whenever I drive it.

😂😂😂....😎

If the air pressure was so critical, then why instal condensers, intercoolers or oil coolers below the air vent (grill) ?  Even the mesh under the grill is restrictive.

If it is such a big problem, just instal fans under the grill to draw more air in and increase the air pressure in the engine compartment with a slight supercharging effect.

I’ll have a nap now 🥺

i guess because there's no where else to put them in air flow?

but i agree probably just water ingress and a coincidence. I think researching the pressure is a project for someone smarter than me though.

good to know that Haltech course is worth doing, my mate did the last one they ran in brisbane (and went on to be the PgUp guy in the MCM 2sexy road tune episode)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Peter M said:

New Year resolutions include more pies, more driving and more exploring gravel roads.

So what's a time poor retiree do, combine them!

Just have to slow down for the cattle grids and causeways. Really need to get that adv bike!

So, you’ve finished the shed ?

9 hours ago, OZ930 said:

So, you’ve finished the shed ?

No, the roof is on and hoping to get it mostly clad this Friday when I can get some help with the long sheets.  Even then I have a fair bit to do to wire it, gyprock and install kitchen style cabinets.

35 minutes ago, sus911 said:

Like mine!

Phil,

What is it, where and do you still have it?

Currently my head says DR650, my heart wants a Husky 701, my attraction to thrift and economy says DR-Z 400 or CRF300.  I'm thinking more open gravelled roads rather than the tighter stuff shown in your photo.   Any advice?

3 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

No worries, just let me know and I will pencil you in my busy schedule.  Do I have to be vaccinated ?

i don't plan to get to close to you....

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Phil,

What is it, where and do you still have it?

Currently my head says DR650, my heart wants a Husky 701, my attraction to thrift and economy says DR-Z 400 or CRF300.  I'm thinking more open gravelled roads rather than the tighter stuff shown in your photo.   Any advice?

i don't plan to get to close to you....

Husky 701, yes! But I am at least equally thrifty....

Nonetheless a great compromise and much much more capable than any you mentioned, especially on easy gravel and particularly good on sealed roads.P1010148.thumb.jpg.46bb9f59ace1c5e95d552f934c07b321.jpg

Yes I still have it and probably ride it the most out of all my bikes.