Speaker Repairs in Australia???

Jason E

Is there anyone (that's recommended) that does speaker repair in Australia.  I just pulled my excellent 10 speaker set up out of storage to reinstall only to find that the small speakers on both sides have perished.  Large speaker is still perfect.  WHY ME????????

thumbnail_20190818_174240.jpg

thumbnail_20190818_174308.jpg

thumbnail_20190818_174333.jpg

3 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

That speaker is still available through Porsche if a repairer falls through. From memory pretty cheap

Regards

Sean

Thanks Sean, absolutely correct.  PCB have them in stock (well Melbourne does) & they are only $62 each.  I've ordered 2.  Much appreciated for the info.

Jason,

I had the same problem in my S2.

I bought a repair kit from Queensland Speaker Repairs.

You can replace the foam surrounds with rubber replacements. There have different sizes.

It was a fun project and worked perfectly.

There are YouTube vids on the repairs.

Cheers,

Geoff.

58 minutes ago, red clubbie said:

Jason,

I had the same problem in my S2.

I bought a repair kit from Queensland Speaker Repairs.

You can replace the foam surrounds with rubber replacements. There have different sizes.

It was a fun project and worked perfectly.

There are YouTube vids on the repairs.

Cheers,

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff,  I just spoke to Vitor at Qld Speaker Repairs & have ordered a repair kit.  Seemed like a pretty good bloke. 

14 minutes ago, Peter M said:

I found them good too.  They have an eBay store for those that like to tap rather than speak:

https://www.ebay.com.au/str/QUEENSLAND-SPEAKER-REPAIRS?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all did a bit more tapping & a bit less talking?

• 1 month later...
On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 07:24, Buchanan Automotive said:

That speaker is still available through Porsche if a repairer falls through. From memory pretty cheap

Regards

Sean

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:09, Jason E said:

Thanks Sean, absolutely correct.  PCB have them in stock (well Melbourne does) & they are only $62 each.  I've ordered 2.  Much appreciated for the info.

Thanks for raising this subject Jason, my speakers in the S2 have been crackling and it made me go and check which ones were gone, sure enough, the mid range like yours, so it's not just a storage issue, mine were worse than your pics, 80% of the rubber was perished.

I originally expected I would have to look at a comparable aftermarket option, Sean's comment that they were still available surprised me, and sure enough, I was able to purchase two brand new OEM speakers from PCB ($75 gst inc ea), picked them up last week and an easy installation over the weekend, very happy with the improvement.  My two were the last ones in Vic, there were a few hundred showing over in Germany.

Great to see you can still purchase speakers for a car that's 30 years old. 

7 hours ago, Stepo said:

Thanks for raising this subject Jason, my speakers in the S2 have been crackling and it made me go and check which ones were gone, sure enough, the mid range like yours, so it's not just a storage issue, mine were worse than your pics, 80% of the rubber was perished.

I originally expected I would have to look at a comparable aftermarket option, Sean's comment that they were still available surprised me, and sure enough, I was able to purchase two brand new OEM speakers from PCB ($75 gst inc ea), picked them up last week and an easy installation over the weekend, very happy with the improvement.  My two were the last ones in Vic, there were a few hundred showing over in Germany.

Great to see you can still purchase speakers for a car that's 30 years old. 

Hi Stepo,  glad to hear you got yours sorted.  Fortunately/ unfortunately ( just after I ordered my new speakers from Porsche) I was given some info re a speaker savant not too far from my place that refurbs the old speakers to "as new" condition.  I installed the new speakers & have had my old speakers refurbed. (I actually had 2 sets done as I had managed to pick up a mint 10 speaker set up from interstate that also had a crumbly set of the mids).  So if anyone is reading this & wants some refurbed speakers I'm your guy!!!

Again - thanks to the Buchanan's Team for the tip re the availability of the speakers. 

It is interesting that the mids seemed to fail (in both my sets & yours.).  The larger speakers are perfect.  

I think the bigger speaker has different surrounds so maybe why. The size of the little speaker means nothing available aftermarket but the bigger speaker is a 5.25" so plenty of options out there as common size. When I got my car in 2010 I was shocked I could get new parts still. I got floor mats that still look brand new and undertray for engine. Not NOS but new parts. Amazing support from a car company