1996/7 993 carrera S

911virgin

If its a manual Coupe ,,,,they appreciate very well over time ,,unless the market completely crash s you should not loose on one in the long term ...last of the air cooled era 

Autohaus has two lovely examples on offer at the moment ..

Too late they are already aged!

Specific 993 issues off the top of my head are:

Engine oil leaks

Lazy cam chain tensioners

Kinematic rear suspension links

AC evaporator holed - probably replaced already but 10 to 12 hour job otherwise

Door check straps A pillar mounts

Rust around the front and rear window openings under the trim

Ballast resistors on the front condenser and oil cooler

Spoiler control switch and curtain

Dry bearing bushes in the HVAC fan motors

Problems associated with the lack of use

Sellers regret if you do sell it

1 hour ago, Raven said:

If its a manual Coupe ,,,,they appreciate very well over time ,,unless the market completely crash s you should not loose on one in the long term ...last of the air cooled era 

is this true anymore? 

993's appreciated, then depreciated

996's stopped getting cheaper, maybe, but haven't really appreciated that much.

if you bought either of these (infact any porsche) now no one really knows the value, its just what you are prepared to pay. They certainly aren't going up in value anymore.

Longterm - all we really know is what they cost to maintain/register etc. My experience with older cars is that you are typically spending at least $10k a year on them if your are honest with yourself. I don't see you getting this amount back in the car value increases anymore. Maybe not for some time, whilst every year you're still spending that $10k...

The silver lining is that  maybe we have reached the bottom? No more depreciation is still a good thing ;)

25 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Too late they are already aged!

Specific 993 issues off the top of my head are:

Engine oil leaks

Lazy cam chain tensioners

Kinematic rear suspension links

AC evaporator holed - probably replaced already but 10 to 12 hour job otherwise

Door check straps A pillar mounts

Rust around the front and rear window openings under the trim

Ballast resistors on the front condenser and oil cooler

Spoiler control switch and curtain

Dry bearing bushes in the HVAC fan motors

Problems associated with the lack of use

Sellers regret if you do sell it

Thanks Peter for posting the short list.  I think I’ve posted before, “Porsche” & “cheap” must never be used in the same sentence.

Depends what you want it for. Driving on the weekends, comfortable daily driver, appreciating asset...???  I'm far from being any sort of expert on predicting the values of these cars, yet I honestly believe they won't go up again in this economy. In fact, I'd say they'll gradually decline in value unless a particular car is a pristine, desirable model. It's already gradually happening 

With some 993's being in the $100k mark or more, for the price of the silver 996.1 GT3 recently listed ($127k), I know where my money would go if I had any.

20 hours ago, 911virgin said:

hi all

what are the common problems that one can expect with this 911 as it ages?

Very little over time though PeterM has listed all the key ones that (may) befall you. If you get a well looked after one and depending on how much you drive it there may be little to worry about. The one with us the longest has been with us 20 years and it only needed the usual bottom valve covers changed and as previously mentioned rust under the front and rear windscreen fixed. But that car only now has 115k on the mileage. 

By comparison our 94 has had its gearbox rebuilt and bottom end work done on it... Granted because I wanted to put an RS pinion in the gear box and it became a... While we are in there.... 

But if you are unlucky then a top end rebuild as mileage approaches 200k is not unreasonable. And thst is big bucks. 

14 hours ago, turboT said:

is this true anymore? 

993's appreciated, then depreciated

996's stopped getting cheaper, maybe, but haven't really appreciated that much.

if you bought either of these (infact any porsche) now no one really knows the value, its just what you are prepared to pay. They certainly aren't going up in value anymore.

Longterm - all we really know is what they cost to maintain/register etc. My experience with older cars is that you are typically spending at least $10k a year on them if your are honest with yourself. I don't see you getting this amount back in the car value increases anymore. Maybe not for some time, whilst every year you're still spending that $10k...

The silver lining is that  maybe we have reached the bottom? No more depreciation is still a good thing ;)

General 993 prices are definitely down selling for less than the 964 as far as I can see... Boy how times change. I remember when the 993 was the king sigh. 

But the 993S that the poster is looking at based off his post title is a bit unusual. Less than 30 manual wide body two wheel drive cars were imported into Australia new and they still (rightfully or wrongfully) command a premium.

Added to the fact the Carrera S wide body two wheel drive was literally the last of the air cooled cars ever to come out of the factory when they were trying to find a way to market the left over turbo body shells means thst for those in the know these cars will still command a premium... Particularly in manual version.

Last one sold 7 months back for around 230k. They definitely paid on the high side as far as I am concerned but it is what it is. For the rarer cars the sellers won't budge and the buyer who is looking specifically for an S in manual knows why they want that specific car. The tip version of the same car absurdly sells for 100k less.... 

Having said that no car makes sense as an investment once storage and maintenance costs come into play. 

9 minutes ago, Harold996tt said:

Very little over time though PeterM has listed all the big ones.  

Yes, to clarify you would be very unlucky to find a car that has suffered ALL of those issues but they all will suffer at least 2/3's of that list.

Not really a big deal to put right except the last listed one.  I still suffer seller's regret possibly weekly...….

thanks for all the valuable input people

very useful!

I would be looking for an automatic 993 S (for the wife to drive too)

i have been tracking 993 sales and in  2015 a 993 S black with approx. 90000kms sold for $90k ( at cityautomobiles), last year same car was on carsales , now up to 140000kms(private seller) asking $140k for over 12 months- i don't know if it sold but the  sellers ad ceased .

there was a sale of an arena red 993 s tip, around 2018 for  approx$150k, maybe a few grand less, this was orig sold by Porsche Doncaster in 2015, then up on carsales (private seller in Adelaide) then sold in 2018 in Melb, around 60000kms from memory.

a vic private seller sold a zenith blue 993 C tip 2018 for around $160k, 106000kms, this has been unsold on carsales (private seller NSW) for the last 8 months or so, initial ask $166k, now $160k, 109000kms. i believe this car was sold at duttons circa 2016

what do you think a 993 S tip is worth today?

4 hours ago, 911virgin said:

thanks for all the valuable input people

very useful!

I would be looking for an automatic 993 S (for the wife to drive too)

i have been tracking 993 sales and in  2015 a 993 S black with approx. 90000kms sold for $90k ( at cityautomobiles), last year same car was on carsales , now up to 140000kms(private seller) asking $140k for over 12 months- i don't know if it sold but the  sellers ad ceased .

there was a sale of an arena red 993 s tip, around 2018 for  approx$150k, maybe a few grand less, this was orig sold by Porsche Doncaster in 2015, then up on carsales (private seller in Adelaide) then sold in 2018 in Melb, around 60000kms from memory.

a vic private seller sold a zenith blue 993 C tip 2018 for around $160k, 106000kms, this has been unsold on carsales (private seller NSW) for the last 8 months or so, initial ask $166k, now $160k, 109000kms. i believe this car was sold at duttons circa 2016

what do you think a 993 S tip is worth today?

Tips are definitely not easy sells and as mentioned, they historically sold for around 100k less than the manual version in wide body S models. But I have no verified actual closed deals on tips recently unfortunately. Like you I have only in the last 12 months seen the ads on those in the last 12 months but with no verified completed sales...