Advice on purchase options

Dave997S

Ok, 

So the Boxster is sold and I’m now on the hunt for an AC Targa.

My (bad) luck saw the sale happen AFTER a few nice cars got sold recently...Drew’s blue Targa was #1 on the shopping list.

Now, there are two cars tickling my fancy. 

Both are narrow bodies, one has a whale tale. 

Here is where I’d appreciate some advice.

They are both AUS delivered (my preference) one started as 1974 2.7 Sporto and had a manual box (915) installed and a new 2.7. No history pre-2005.

The other is a1976 and was a 2.7 but now has a 3.0 and G50 box.

From a provenance view point which is the ideal car? Not that I’m looking to flip it, but if I did have to sell, which would be the preferred car? 

To quote James May “buy the one that gives you the biggest tingle in the Gentlemanly area” but I’m after a bit of hand holding 😂

3 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Provenance not applicable with this choice Dave. If condition, history and recent maintenance similar I'd go the 76 all day long. A strong case here to select on overall  condition at the end of the day.

That’s my thinking but I’m not very knowledgeable in these matters.

Just now, Dave986 said:

That’s my thinking but I’m not very knowledgeable in these matters.

Neither am I with the narrow body era Dave but I think you'll get more fizz for ya jizz with a 3.0 and G50 set up .. hmmm  maybe I should say more tingle in ya pringle

1 minute ago, Troubleshooter said:

Neither am I with the narrow body era Dave but I think you'll get more fizz for ya jizz with a 3.0 and G50 set up .. hmmm  maybe I should say more tingle in ya pringle

The other option is go for a matching numbers car but a  RHD UK import

Reckon this sounds the goods, won't last at that price...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1982-porsche-911-sc-manual/SSE-AD-6251599/?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email

Undertake the required tests but if stored in between drives whilst in the UK (which you would imagine given the low mileage and its appearance) it sounds promising

Either (dump the whale tail if it's still a narrow body though), yet the 3.0 and G50 combo would be my choice. The 915 is like stirring a bowl of custard compared to a G50 after recently driving a car with one fitted.

Saying that, you know the UK and other imported cars are a little frowned upon here which affects resale/buyer interest, yet if it's a fair whack cheaper you're getting basically the same car for a bargain price. 

Shame you missed Drew's car, as that looks like it was a cracker

Do you have the opportunity to drive both in close succession?  You may find, regardless of spec, that one drives & feels much better than the other.  That will make the decision a whole lot easier. 

Edit - if you find yourself in sydney, drop me a line & I'd be happy for you to have a quick spin in my 77 targa in the local national park.  It's a 3 litre, 915 box combo & will give you a fair idea of what they're like when they're in good operating condition.

1 hour ago, LeeM said:

Either (dump the whale tail if it's still a narrow body though), yet the 3.0 and G50 combo would be my choice. The 915 is like stirring a bowl of custard compared to a G50 after recently driving a car with one fitted.

Saying that, you know the UK and other imported cars are a little frowned upon here which affects resale/buyer interest, yet if it's a fair whack cheaper you're getting basically the same car for a bargain price. 

Shame you missed Drew's car, as that looks like it was a cracker

Dumping the whale tail would be a definite post-purchase action. 

1 hour ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Do you have the opportunity to drive both in close succession?  You may find, regardless of spec, that one drives & feels much better than the other.  That will make the decision a whole lot easier. 

Edit - if you find yourself in sydney, drop me a line & I'd be happy for you to have a quick spin in my 77 targa in the local national park.  It's a 3 litre, 915 box combo & will give you a fair idea of what they're like when they're in good operating condition.

Thanks for the most generous offer Gavin. 

Unfortunately the cars are in Sydney and QLD

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Time is your friend on this journey, I would suggest.  

With summer coming soon it’s Targa weather, prices may jump 😬

On 30/08/2019 at 02:27, Dave986 said:

I know a few people think “well they’re all imported so a UK car is fine”  but for me it’s the rust potential of those. 

You're thinking clearly

On 30/08/2019 at 01:48, Troubleshooter said:

If the G50 conversion is done well it would be the most promising in my book.  But with an engine/gearbox conversion you'd want to have it checked by someone knowledgeable to see that it was done well.   Getting a 3.0 in a narrow body car is a nice mix based on what drives well and looks good.  I have been watching Jeff's mag case 2.7 rebuild and I think that's cured me of ever having a 2.7 - quite the public service for him to endure all that pain.

The good thing about a bastard car is that it's cheaper to buy and gives you more latitude to modify somewhat.  The downside is they can be harder to sell, and all work has to be inspected for butchery and sub standard work.

Assuming it is the white 76 on carsales being discussed - how have you verified it’s a G50?

That is an odd swap and, whilst the pics aren’t great, the shifter looks like a 915.

I’m not saying it isn’t, but I would want that verified before attaching any value to it. 

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

Assuming it is the white 76 on carsales being discussed - how have you verified it’s a G50?

That is an odd swap and, whilst the pics aren’t great, the shifter looks like a 915.

I’m not saying it isn’t, but I would want that verified before attaching any value to it. 

I’ve spoken to the current owner (he is the dealer owner) and I asked the question directly and he said yes it’s G50

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I was going to say something similar. I haven't looked into a great deal of detail, but from my understanding, converting an early car to a G50 is A LOT of work, and it would be strange to go through all of that with a 3.0. I believe you have to modify the chassis and suspension to get it to fit, it is not just a bolt in change. I would not take someones word for it, I would definitely check it out. 

1 hour ago, Dave986 said:

I’ve spoken to the current owner (he is the dealer owner) and I asked the question directly and he said yes it’s G50

Cool, simple to verify in a test drive (or ask for a short video of the car reversing).

On that note, have you driven them both?

Always get to drive a car Dave, or at least get a knowledgeable person in relation to the model in question, whom you know and trust to do so with images/videos.  Ally that with a PPI - at least including rust/panel inspection and compression with leak down test. Then the usual REVs check, registration check and so on.