Advice on purchase options

Dave997S

• 3 weeks later...

BUMP

Still searching for the right car. I have been close with a few but the PPIs have comeback with too much for my plate to handle.

As much as it’s apparently a buyers market, it seems sellers haven’t read the memo...and no I haven’t been lowballing people. In fact I’ve increased my budget by $10k to try and find the right car.

I always thought selling was hard, this AC purchase it bloody difficult 😬

16 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

I’m locked in to go to this auction so EVERYONE ELSE STAY AWAY SO I CAN GET THIS FOR A BARGAIN!!! 😂😉

Hmmmm looks tasty, didn't know it was for sale ....Thanks for letting me know that Dave ..... I may buy it pre auction....🤣

27 minutes ago, LeeM said:

There's a name for people like that mate. It isnt very nice though 😁😉

Smart arses? Opportunists? Winners? C*#ts? Hahhaha been called all those in my life ... just giving Dave a hint to go see it forthwith and make a direct offer pre auction if it's any good...:Beer:

39 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Smart arses? Opportunists? Winners? C*#ts? Hahhaha been called all those in my life ... just giving Dave a hint to go see it forthwith and make a direct offer pre auction if it's any good...:Beer:

Didn’t realise you could put in a pre-auction bid 

3 hours ago, Dave986 said:

Didn’t realise you could put in a pre-auction bid 

You can do whatever you want, doesn't mean they'll sell it pre auction though. I'm sure you can Dave, the offer would have to be "right" for Shannons to liase with the owner and accept. It's all business mate! Ok I'll have a stab at what the market will pay - No mention of original paint or matching numbers or service books - Bargain is $75k, average is $95k, idiot at auction is $120k. Guide range $90k - $100K and usually under quoted at Shannons so expecting maybe around $120k plus premium, who knows......

But for example Dave, using my calculus (coz I have a crystal ball), if you waltzed in and said I'll pay $150k right now, they'd sign you up on the spot and it's yours. If you check the car out and determine a price in your mind no harm in offering it, worst is they can tell you to get lost!

6 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

I’m hoping it’ll be somewhere in between ‘bargain’ and ‘average’ price range...champagne taste and VB budget 😂

I'm just stabbing a bit in the dark Dave, I'm no expert but a decent Aust Coupe like that with all things right in average to good nick should sell around $120? A really good one $150? Even though it's rarish, a Targa discount applies $100k?

11 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

I'm just stabbing a bit in the dark Dave, I'm no expert but a decent Aust Coupe like that with all things right in average to good nick should sell around $120? A really good one $150? Even though it's rarish, a Targa discount applies $100k?

It’s not helping that this is apparently a peach and a known entity. 1 of 6 in Oz too.

Just now, Dave986 said:

It’s not helping that this is apparently a peach and a known entity. 1 of 6 in Oz too.

I read the Shannons report, doesn't sound like a peach ready to get the biggest dollar a peach would bring. Maybe a bit of a peach and owner not fixing a few things and just stuck it on the market anyway?

On 18/09/2019 at 20:19, Troubleshooter said:

I read the Shannons report, doesn't sound like a peach ready to get the biggest dollar a peach would bring. Maybe a bit of a peach and owner not fixing a few things and just stuck it on the market anyway?

It was passed in at $89k. The market isn’t as strong as people are thinking / hoping or the car wasn’t as good as thought. I think there were 4 bids all up...although the ‘58 190SL convertible and XY GT went over the price guide at $267k and $370k respectively. 

On 20/09/2019 at 21:46, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I'm considering moving on one of the other 6 in Aus if any of you folks would like to chat about it.  I'll put up a post shortly now on 'for sale' thread.

...and thread here  

Lovely car but to rich for my tastes 😉 GLWS

1 hour ago, Dave986 said:

It was passed in at $89k. The market isn’t as strong as people are thinking / hoping or the car wasn’t as good as thought. I think there were 4 bids all up...although the ‘58 190SL convertible and XY GT went over the price guide at $267k and $370k respectively. 

Out of interest Dave did the Carrera have original paint or matching numbers or service books?

7 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Out of interest Dave did the Carrera have original paint or matching numbers or service books?

I didn’t see any books but that’s not to say they didn’t exist. It was also a Sporto concerted to manual.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, SteveB1 said:

Any tips on body issues with targa's? and known rust spots?

Thanks Steve

Everywhere! 

Floor pan usually at the bottom of all pillars and foot wells. Sills, bottom of the roll hoop, around the door strikers, in the frunk under the spare wheel/battery areas...the whole front clip basically. A place some don't look is the parcel shelf area which leads to the top of the rear shock mounts if you can get a torch to have a look. Also look for dodgy repairs on the pan with silicone and/or bog which can hide some expensive repairs. Most cars will have rust somewhere, yet you can buy most replacement panels from here or from overseas. Prices vary quite a bit, so do your homework if you do buy a car and want to replace and bits n pieces. I bought from Auothaus Hamilton in Sydney, as James was very close to the cheapest parts I could source from the US.

Take a torch with you, and have a real good look