Suspension

Merv

I have been devoting a bit of time to the suspension setup on the Carrera.  The front was too low and rear also. Adjusted the rear first and the limited adjustment available on the spring plate on the late cars was frozen up from years of non use.  Lots of WD40 and a little heat got things moving.  Set up a decent angle on the 'plates and a good set of measurements on the mid-point of the torsion bar cover.  Then the front.  That took 4 attempts before success was achieved at 'factory' height (good starting point).  After this process I went for a 250 km club drive and felt that the rear suspension was still too harsh.  Pulled the rear shocks (Koni) today and found they were set on full stiff and pretty well locked up. So backed them off to a low/street setting and magic!  But now I will need to do the suspension heights again, corner weighting and alignment.

Question: for those with Konis (reds) what setting do you use for street/road driving?

Drives much better now that the rear shocks are released from near lock up on full stiff.  The suspension can actually work as it was designed to do.  More to do, however, as the front inserts also need to be checked.  Folk on ImpactBumpers.com also seem to be finding success with softer shock settings. 

Did the front shocks today.  I was interested to see what was inside the struts.  Unlike the rears (Koni reds), the fronts were (also quite new) Koni yellows.  The settings on the front were just off soft (as they should be for street use). Have re-adjusted them and then did the suspension heights again.  Quite happy now with the handling and ride quality. Alignment next and corner weighting if possible.