Getting hit with unscrupulous insurance claims cost. What to do?

HH1

Hi guys,

I was in slow moving traffic, about 10 to 15km/h when I touched the car in front of me. The only damage my vehicle sustained was a cracked plastic number plate protector cover. No scratches or dents on the front bumper. The other party has now claimed damages amounting to $2k+ claiming boot lock damages, rear bumper scratched in multiple places, etc. I believe the damages to be fraudulent and have informed the other parties insurance company. The insurance has requested me to provide an assessment report to satisfy my claims. Does anyone know of an assessor who can do this on the Gold Coast. Does anyone know what my rights are and what steps I need to take. Thanks,  Sohan. 

2 hours ago, HH1 said:

Hi guys,

I was in slow moving traffic, about 10 to 15km/h when I touched the car in front of me. The only damage my vehicle sustained was a cracked plastic number plate protector cover. No scratches or dents on the front bumper. The other party has now claimed damages amounting to $2k+ claiming boot lock damages, rear bumper scratched in multiple places, etc. I believe the damages to be fraudulent and have informed the other parties insurance company. The insurance has requested me to provide an assessment report to satisfy my claims. Does anyone know of an assessor who can do this on the Gold Coast. Does anyone know what my rights are and what steps I need to take. Thanks,  Sohan. 

Did you take photos of the damage to both cars at the time? Submit damage photos of your car if that’s all you have to your insurance company. This scam crap happens all the time, get your insurance company to challenge the claim. If you don’t fight it you’ll pay!

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

Did you take photos of the damage to both cars at the time? Submit damage photos of your car if that’s all you have to your insurance company. This scam crap happens all the time, get your insurance company to challenge the claim. If you don’t fight it you’ll pay!

Yes, I provided photos of both vehicles,  but the insurance companies show no interest to investigate and I refuse to be held accountable to a fraudulent claim. 

All this should be handled by your Insurance company & completely out of your hands I would think.  You simply give the other driver your details & Insurance details & let your Insurance company work out if they want to challenge the other driver/ insurance company's version of events or repair estimates. 

Other than the, "they're being Arseholes" factor what do you care?  They can claim a million bucks - it's up to your insurer now.

That's what you pay the expensive yearly premium for.  "I've had an accident, it was my fault, please fix my car & their car (preferably in that order).  Thank you very much"".  Unless I'm missing something.

I agree with Jason E.  Why are you worried about it.  You have lodged a claim.  There is no extra cost to you.  A claim is a claim and the insurance company do all the work, that is why you take out the cover.  You are at fault so pay the excess and move on. If your insurance doesn't challenge it then so be it.  I presume that as you have lodged a claim then you are having your car assessed too.  Even though you think that there is no damage to your car there is sometimes damage behind the bumper that you cannot see.  This could be the case with the other car too and it does not take much to add up to $2000.  15 kph is enough to do a bit of damage.

14 minutes ago, HH1 said:

Yes, true, but it's the dishonesty which gets me, and I think if my insurance company pays out exorbitantly, it'll effect my claim history and therefore my future premiums.

I hear you brother however there's only so much hair you can lose & arteries you can harden worrying about the arseholery of the world & it's nefarious denizens.  Let the Insurers do their job & just get out & drive with the wind in your luxurious bouffant, eating Pork scratchings ('cause you can). 

46 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I agree with Jason E.  Why are you worried about it.  You have lodged a claim.  There is no extra cost to you.  A claim is a claim and the insurance company do all the work, that is why you take out the cover.  You are at fault so pay the excess and move on. If your insurance doesn't challenge it then so be it.  I presume that as you have lodged a claim then you are having your car assessed too.  Even though you think that there is no damage to your car there is sometimes damage behind the bumper that you cannot see.  This could be the case with the other car too and it does not take much to add up to $2000.  15 kph is enough to do a bit of damage.

I've had my car assessed and there is no damage, zero. Not a scratch. 

• 3 weeks later...

This exact thing happened to me but I was the one bumped into (VW Golf). The insurance company (shannons) had me drop the car at their repairer and I picked it up 3 days later. New bumper apparently. My guess is a new bumper, painted and fitted could easily run to $2k these days. 

I have no idea what the repair cost was. Maybe the person you bumped into has no idea either? Your beef is more likely to be with the repairer, not the owner perhaps?