Jump to content
SJL

PDK Reliability ??- HELP !!

Recommended Posts

This should not be a Forum to make accusations that could be subjective and un verifiable. The Fair trading web sites are where we should find rulings of nefarious conducts.

Regarding previous owners, things have become interesting. Due to Privacy Laws there are no records on your Log / Service / Manuals of the previous owners. The dealer is not allowed to divulge this information, even if they know it.. Ive asked Porsche to provide this information as they would be the only ones that have it, however quite rightly they will not divulge either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LeeM said:

  With a certain dealer that is well known in luxury car circles commencing a defamation suit, I'd be very careful what is said in public.

 

Hope he doesn't lawyer up against me after I complimented his spiffy hairdo  🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SJL said:

This should not be a Forum to make accusations that could be subjective and un verifiable. The Fair trading web sites are where we should find rulings of nefarious conducts.

Regarding previous owners, things have become interesting. Due to Privacy Laws there are no records on your Log / Service / Manuals of the previous owners. The dealer is not allowed to divulge this information, even if they know it.. Ive asked Porsche to provide this information as they would be the only ones that have it, however quite rightly they will not divulge either.

You'd think if the po had reported a problem that porsche would have records?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 111 point check done by Porsche Willoughby, prior to purchase. $695.00. ( Last scheduled service provider. One would assume they might know this car. ) It came back all good. After the transmission failed, the next day - Day 1 of ownership, I contacted them to discover if they had detected any previous Fault codes that may indicate previous issues. They advised there weren't any. My situation was either incredibly, incredibly, bad luck, or their diagnostic tests are not comprehensive. There seems to be a disconnect between Porsche Service Centres. I guess they are dealers and have no incentive to share information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SJL said:

I had a 111 point check done by Porsche Willoughby, prior to purchase. $695.00. ( Last scheduled service provider. One would assume they might know this car. ) It came back all good. After the transmission failed, the next day - Day 1 of ownership, I contacted them to discover if they had detected any previous Fault codes that may indicate previous issues. They advised there weren't any. My situation was either incredibly, incredibly, bad luck, or their diagnostic tests are not comprehensive. There seems to be a disconnect between Porsche Service Centres. I guess they are dealers and have no incentive to share information.

That's just astounding, you took all the right precautionary measures and yet you're left in the cold. Just incredible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is the tranny was screwed for the previous owner, it was out of warranty so they traded in to the dealer you bought it from, they discover it stuffed so made sure the codes were cleared before you test drove and purchased it. I bet the only party that doesnt know the truth is you. Call me synical but I dont trust any dealers and I find it unbelievable that this just happened to die the day after you bought it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Simonk. I always assume the best, expect the worst and then give the benefit of doubt. However Ive also suspected that an assessment, like yours is on balance, the most likely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victoria's Stat Warranty laws are pretty clear that it's covered. If NSW laws are the same, I'd have a chat to their equivalent to Consumer Affairs. Their advice to me was to write a letter to the dealer principle requesting that the repairs be performed. This is essentially the first step in Consumer Affairs proceedings and I made it clear in the letter that that was the case. My issue was much smaller but it was dealt with immediately by the dealer principle. You should only be dealing with the dealer, not the Porsche workshops. If the dealer wants Porsche to pay for it, then they need to chase Porsche, not you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am aware that there is quite a bit of protection under NSW consumer law also. The first steps I've been advised, however are to resolve the issue "nicely" between the parties. Ive been doing this for 2 months. I have been assured by the dealer that the dealer WILL sort this out. Problem is the dealer see's this purely about mitigating their liability and commercial loss. The only updates to progress or in my case lack of are after many unanswered or unreturned calls I appear un announced at their office !!

I wonder what would have happened if I'd passed them a dud cheque, taken possession of the car and dodged the issue for 2 months trying to find out why my account was short, and how I could get someone else to put it back in credit so that I could honour the payment !! Id be arrested for fraud !!

As you allude to. You just FIX IT !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Write a letter to Porsche Cars Australia as well as the PCW asking them to assist and come to the party as a gesture of goodwill, I'd also consider politely mentioning that if you'd been fortunate enough to have purchased it through Porsche as it passed their inspection it would have been eligible for 12 months extended warranty.  I'd also tell them what the purchase meant to you personally, what the brand means and while this has soured the experience and it isn't their primary caused issue, you hope it can be resolved and your ownership experience lives up to what you envisioned it to be. 

Were all the relevant services conducted?  i.e. did the PPI show it needed work or were there outstanding PDK services etc required? 

I'd also write to the selling dealer as you are and continue to try to resolve it.  I'd suggest flagging any correspondence without prejudice subject to costs as you are clearly in dispute. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest scouring the owners manual for a note or instructions or lack thereof about driving in traffic in sport mode. I would only use written correspondence. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all for your comments.

All too hard. The dealer has bought the car back. Ive now purchased a Porsche Approved car, from an authorised dealer, warranty etc.. I feel I have some comfort now that if something goes seriously wrong it will be rectified correctly.

I believe my old car is being sent to a Porsche "Specialist". The same one that said that the PDK issue was because I drove in Sport Mode in traffic. The same "Specialist" that on the next occasion, flushed the Transmission, replaced the faulty battery and certified it as "performing correctly" before it again failed about an hour later.

Anyway the dealer thinks this "specialist" will pull the PDK apart and repair it. A cheaper option than the Porsche recommended and usual remedy of replacing the whole unit.

I feel so sorry for the poor mug that buys this car, oblivious to its previous issues. Just like I did !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SJL said:

Thanks all for your comments.

All too hard. The dealer has bought the car back. Ive now purchased a Porsche Approved car, from an authorised dealer, warranty etc.. I feel I have some comfort now that if something goes seriously wrong it will be rectified correctly.

I believe my old car is being sent to a Porsche "Specialist". The same one that said that the PDK issue was because I drove in Sport Mode in traffic. The same "Specialist" that on the next occasion, flushed the Transmission, replaced the faulty battery and certified it as "performing correctly" before it again failed about an hour later.

Anyway the dealer thinks this "specialist" will pull the PDK apart and repair it. A cheaper option than the Porsche recommended and usual remedy of replacing the whole unit.

I feel so sorry for the poor mug that buys this car, oblivious to its previous issues. Just like I did !!

Great outcome. Out of interest is the new car a PDK?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does have PDK. This will be my daily driver, with a lot of urban driving, so I think its a good pick. Finding a manual with all of the options I want is not easy.

Anyway, the PDK anecdotally, from this forum and Porsche themselves appear to be pretty trouble free. Obviously I bought a car that for whatever reason was hiding a problem. I'm putting it down to very bad luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SJL said:

It does have PDK. This will be my daily driver, with a lot of urban driving, so I think its a good pick. Finding a manual with all of the options I want is not easy.

Anyway, the PDK anecdotally, from this forum and Porsche themselves appear to be pretty trouble free. Obviously I bought a car that for whatever reason was hiding a problem. I'm putting it down to very bad luck.

You’re the only person I’ve heard with PDK issues, agree  very bad luck. If you saw the absolute flogging the PDKs get at Porsche driver training you would think nothing can break them.  Any pics of the new car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Great outcome mate. 

 I just hope they fix the car for the next custodian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to hear your still in a Porsche. Hopefully you can restart your journey trouble free. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2019 at 14:39, SJL said:

I feel so sorry for the poor mug that buys this car, oblivious to its previous issues. Just like I did !!

Post the VIN so anyone who does a basic search before purchase sees this thread and is forewarned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very tempting to do. However If the dealer DID do the right thing and repair it satisfactorily, that might look a little Vindictive or scurrilous. However, there is a photo of the car on this forum, and it is now known to every Porsche Service Centre in Sydney, Sydney South, Willoughby, Parramatta, and of course Hamilton's. Surely there is a duty of disclosure should a future purchaser order a Pre- Purchase inspection ? Of course if someone was to PM me in this regard, I would offer any assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like the dealer did do the right thing in the end buying the car back off you. I assume they were in their right to fix it and make you keep it. 

Can you name the dealer? Sounds like it was no fault of there's and alls well that ends well. They were probably just as shocked as you after buying it wholesale or having it traded and finding the PDK had failed. 

Certainly something to be said for Porsche Approved cars or those with extended warranty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under the statutory Warranty, the dealer is required to rectify, or in the case of a major fault, refund the purchase price, and can also be liable for any costs or damages. In this case, I allowed the dealer the opportunity to fix the problem.

Unfortunately though, and I expect understandably, the dealer chose to try the cheapest rectification, against the advice of Porsche Service. They had 3 go's at it, each time certifying it as repaired. Each time the PDK failed right after collecting the vehicle.

Finally when, now 2 months after purchase, and 5 days of actual possession, ( Warranty expiring in 4 weeks ), they were still trying to find an inferior less costly solution, I felt that it needed to be brought to a head and exercised my right to a refund. I didn't think I'd ever be confident of this car, being correctly sorted.

The dealer did do the right thing, ( voluntarily ?), however they could have done the right repair originally also.

Whilst I wont mention the dealer in an effort to besmirch them, I dont think they deserve much of an accolade either. 

You're right, it probably only makes sense to buy a Porsche from an authorised dealer, with a 12 month and extendable warranty, so thats what I've done !!

porsche Blue.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...