996 Evaporator Help

jordan

Hey peeps!

So, according to PCB, I have an evaporator that needs to be replaced - which they’re charging an arm and a leg for.

This was based on their service notes from 18 months ago...and I’m not sure how accurate it is as the service guy said it could be a compressor or a leak.

I don’t plan on getting it done at PCB, as it’s a 2004 996, and really, there’s no need to.

I understand it’s a finicky job - but just wondering if anyone has replaced one before, and I’ve read on variety of forums that there is the exact same part as OEM, with a much cheaper cost!

The current symptoms are:

1. The cold air doesn’t work.

2. There is a smell that pumps out when I first use the heater or cooler (seemingly more prevalent when I use the heater) - however the heater works.

3. No other symptoms. 

What I’ve done?

1. Kicked the tyres

2. Ummmmmm’d and Ahhhhhhhhh’d with the occasional chin stroke.

3. Left the AC on full for 5 minutes to see if there are any leaks - there weren’t any I could see at all on the ground or floor.

Would love some help from the wise on here...

Any ideas? What’s the best way to diagnose this?

You do need an air con technician to let you know where the leak is. There is a dye they place in the oil / gas that is seen with infrared light.

If it is evaporator they will advise which side etc. Your front end is same as Boxter, so no big cost.

You will need to remove bumper, etc - it’s not a difficult job if you are a bit mechanicaly inclined. Bumper will need to come off to correctly diagnose leak in any case.

45 minutes ago, Jason A said:

You do need an air con technician to let you know where the leak is. There is a dye they place in the oil / gas that is seen with infrared light.

If it is evaporator they will advise which side etc. Your front end is same as Boxter, so no big cost.

You will need to remove bumper, etc - it’s not a difficult job if you are a bit mechanicaly inclined. Bumper will need to come off to correctly diagnose leak in any case.

Thanks mate.

However, I think the evaporator is located underneath the entire dash? Meaning you have to remove almost everything internally - I could be wrong. However, I don’t want to go ahead with that unless it’s certain that is the cause.

So there is a heat exchanger in the heater box, plus two at the front of the car.

Removing the dash is a two hour job, no special tools required but there are a few tricks.

Get the air con guy to highlight where the leak is first.

Both jobs you can tackle yourself if you have mechanical aptitude and some tools.

once you know where it is - you can make a plan.

I can help you - share detailed instructions on both - as I have tackled both jobs.