Intro / Q. on Porsche Approved / It's here!

Hi all

Have been lurking for a little while... 
...have sold the bike, and am looking forward to making the jump in to P car ownership.

I'm now in the market for a 987.2 Boxster S, manual.

Not overly worried about options at this point, as it seems that there are not that many available with options!
From what I understand (which is not much), the Australian delivered ones had a reasonable 'base' spec; the ones that have come up on carsales over the last month or so don't have too many extras (i.e. haven't seen much in the way of PSAM, PSE, Sport Chrono).  

So I'm looking out for one that's a reasonable combination of price, condition, kms... though if there is an option worth holding out for, I'm all ears! (or eyes?) 

In the meantime, any insight you could offer with regard to "Porsche Approved" vehicles would be appreciated: 

Is there any value in getting a PPI on a Porsche Approved car?
Does the answer change if one is in a different city to the car in question?

And how much of a premium is "Porsche Approved" worth, especially on a 10 year old car?

(Yep, this is the one I'm wondering about: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-boxster-s-987-manual-my09/OAG-AD-17506957 )

Thanks in advance,

nick

No need for PPI if its coming from a Porka dealer - the warranty (it should come with 12 months) is worth it as it can now be extended to 15 years from date of first registration so you'd be able to get another 5 years out of it.  It'll add a premium to the cars that have it and make them easier to sell.  

22 hours ago, np9000 said:

And how much of a premium is "Porsche Approved" worth, especially on a 10 year old car?

(Yep, this is the one I'm wondering about: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-boxster-s-987-manual-my09/OAG-AD-17506957 )

Thanks in advance,

nick

Nick, you'd get a 981 for that price.  Strongly suggest you drive both for comparison.  My Mrs went from an '05 987.1 S manual to a '13 981 PDK - both used as daily drive.  Quite different cars, I like driving the 981 more, love PDK.  987 actually feels a bit agricultural compared to the 981, although still pleasurable to drive 🙂  And standard 981 engine feels more powerful than the 3.2S, haven't driven a 3.4 to compare to the 3.2 though.

7 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

you'd get a 981 for that price.  Strongly suggest you drive both for comparison.

I know!!  Could also bring a 996 or 997 in to the picture if I was to consider all options...

... and you're right, I really should spend a bit more time behind the wheel before locking anything in, that is good advice.

But... I put a deposit on it this afternoon.

For a range of reasons, probably an even 50 / 50 split between the practical and the emotional!

There was token drop of the price, and it's had a few things done to it to get it to Porsche Approved (including a new set of tyres, some parts replaced on the front suspension, a range of cosmetic things).

I am looking to get a few years out of it, so the warranty was a thing for me; was looking for a manual, looking for an S, looking for the "analogue vibe".

And the siren song in my ear (which might have just been my tinnitus) was drowning out the little voice that was trying to be patient and sensible. 

... when I put it that way, it's more like a 60 / 60 split!

It'll be grand!

Car's now en route to Melb.

Was really looking forward to bringing the car down from Brissy myself, but unfortunately was not to be - already had plans locked in for this weekend.

On the upside, CEVA will work with Intraffic to bring it down, get the RWC, book in with Vicroads and get it registered for me, so when I get it next week, it's good to go...

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the car yesterday, all done and ready to roll.

Promptly put the roof down (30 degrees!) and went home the looooong way 'round (400 km or so, via Whittlesea, Yea, Alexandra, Thornton, Taggerty, Marysville, Warburton, Healesville, Yarra Glen...).

Still can't wipe the smile off my face.

What's also nice - bought the car sight unseen from Porsche Brisbane, and it's in amazing condition for a 10-year old vehicle.  Everyone I dealt with to get the car in to my hot little hands (Porsche Brisbane, CEVA, inTraffic) has been pleasant, professional, and just great to deal with.

Did I mention I can't wipe the smile off my face?

You've done well np.  When I got my 996.2 18 months ago from Sydney, I didn't even get to bring it home!!!!  Wife had time, but I didn't so she and youngest daughter had a Sydney - Melb girls roadtrip, and then home on the boat.  She even broke it!! - CEL light on when she pulled up ( but no real problem, just a residual issue from the fact that car hadn't been REALLY driven for the last few years.....)

Enjoy, wife used her 987.1S as daily drive for 5 years 🙂