Hand brake lever won’t engage locking mechanism

Mike 66

Hi

I have a 1976 911..my handbrake won’t engage the “3 tooth cog” within the handbrake lever with the main cog in the base plate of the handbrake 

The hand brake will release via the hand brake button but it would seem there needs to be a spring / mechanism that locks it in place- which is missing? I can’t seem to see it on any exploded parts diagrams. Does anyone know if it’s a spring that forces the return of the cog plate ? Sorry I can’t take any pics  as I think it would be within the handbrake pressing?

Thanks in advance 

Mike 

Hi @81SC

thanks again for your help ..I don’t think  it’s that part Unfortunately. I have part 32 that releases part 13 from the main toothed cog from what I can tell would be in part 15. When it release it should re-engage .. it doesn’t make that typical “clicking” sound as they move over each other when you apply the handbrake ..just thinking about it now that it maybe All gunk in there that may be withholding the spring pressure.. I will have a look tomorrow .. got me thinking so thanks again

2 hours ago, Mike 66 said:

Hi @81SC

i stripped the whole mechanism last night and found the rod that connects to the handbrake release button was bent and causing the spring to grab. Greased it all up .. straightened the rod and back in action!

Good work Mike. 😀