Would you buy this 996?

BRU

Hey all, in the market for my first Porsche and came across this one.. looks like it’s been on the market a while and has a fair bit of mechanical “history” shall we say.. but at the price, I’m wondering if a gamble may be worth it.. anyone know this car by any chance? Any and all thoughts welcome (and apologies if this car has been discussed already, I couldn’t find anything)

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Manual/SSE-AD-6070973

Thanks in advance!

BRU

@BRU Hey mate

I look at that car nearly every other day and think "Is it worth selling my '78 for this?" I really like the look of it, and its had some mechanicals done as you mention, yet if you are of the type who is buying to ensure you'll get your money back, I'd probably stay away. If that doesnt bother you and you just want to get into a 996 for less money (probably $15k less than a nice original car) then I say go for it. 

I am advised he's a little difficult to deal with, and 'No test drives' isnt the best way to promote the sale of a car, yet if the car checks out ok with a mandatory pre purchase inspection, I'd be having a go at it. 

The only thing that bothers me is the ''It has Queensland rego but I moved back to Melbourne'', yet that's just me being cautious 

Give him a call and see what happens 

Agree with Lee, also basic caveats apply - get a PPI done either by a reputable independent or PCM etc. 

IMO no test drives is okay but not ideal - just ask the owner to drive you around to begin with - you should be able to pickup any glaringly obvious mechanical issues being a passenger - if there are any.

Like Dan said worth a look and what Tingy said ring and have a chat. I to get a bit of a feel to whom Im dealing with as personaly I hate dealing with hard nose flogs not to say the owner is as such. But for me Id rather move on than deal with hard people and lets be honest there are always a few 996 cars around for sale.

Well it’s priced to sell - just wonder why...

The prices of 996’s are going up it seems, even in the last 4 weeks? Measuring depreciation you can often look at the top 15% most expensive cars of the model, and that keeps climbing (with new cars). Exciting times, just like a couple of Ferrari models...looks like the 996 is climbing out of the hole it was in...

P/s out of interest, from my research, the facelift models have a much better re-sale value...

As everyone has said, it has been for sale for a long time.

Having just sold a similar car the people looking at my car told me that  the seller is a chef/cook and works odd hours and is not that flexible to accommodate anyone looking at the car, which seems strange if you are a seller to me.

I question why it’s has a full rebuild with the K’s, must have had a real hard life to justify all the work done.

Price reflects what it is to me, spend a few more bucks at get one that is a minter is my call.

7 hours ago, 9er said:

I know one of the Melbourne members here @crsedgehas checked it out.

In the end I didn’t have a look at it. Was told by the seller it had a replacement motor from the US after the case of the original motor became cracked. 

I discussed the price I would be starting at if I was to have a look and the seller politely declined which I was fine with- I did not want to waste either of our times.

Having said that, am sure it will suit someone out there who doesn’t want a matching numbers car 

Cheers

Craig

If I was in the market I would've been all over this one a long time ago. No test drives wouldn't bother me, have the owner take you for a decent drive and get a good PPI. For me the work that's been done and the mods are all positives.

5 hours ago, Pokiou said:

It's the cheapest manual coupe on the market and quiet possible the last one to ever be. 

Yes and no I reckon.

I don't think theyll go up that much more than they are now. Sellers might TRY and pump the prices up with 'This rare and collectable car...' but it doesnt sway buyers to throw too much coin at them when they can buy a later model for not much more. Buy a mint 996 or a nice 997 for similar money? 

What are they really 'worth'? How much less of a car is this one (from a driving perspective) to anything else as a standard car at a higher price point? Do most buyers look at a sports car solely to enjoy the drive, or is it to drive and appreciate in value? If it's the latter, the car in question isn't for a majority of buyers. Let's face it, a lot of people looking at buying an older water cooled 911 in the past 12 months or so since the 996 all of a sudden became popular is because they're cheap(ish), yet it was labelled the Porsche bastard child 2-3 years and you couldnt guve them away. They are now leaning towards a 996 because they can't justify paying more money for basically the same car that looks a bit different, but not THAT different to drive to a later model without splitting hairs on particular features. They're still all a flat 6, handle well and have a similar shape. What becomes popular becomes even more popular. It's the same with the air cooled market. Why spend $200k on car X when you can have basically the same car for half the money? If you can afford it, great, yet a lot of buyers have very limited budgets, or they just can't justify spending big dollars on a weekend toy.

This blokes hard task is convincing the fussier buyers it's worth the money, as it's been for sale for a long time at various prices. I think it is worth it, especially as a car you can just jump in and drive and not have to worry about its value (to a point), and even though I can't afford to take a financial chance that it doesnt have hidden issues, I'd buy it if I was in the market (which might very well be sooner than I think!). 

I'm a 996 convert since watching Jethro's Drivetribe video with his own car, which prompted me to actually drive a couple to see what they're like. They're brilliant, and I'll definitley get one eventually

Dribble over 😁

Having recently purchased a 996.2 manual C2, I totally recommend looking at a 996. Can’t even begin to tell you how happy I am with mine.

This one in particular, at these kms, it’s not the sort of car you’d need to worry about putting more kms on and devaluing, which in my view is a positive, especially if you can verify that the rebuild was done right.

Then the main question is whether the mods appeal to you. Deal breaker for me but everyone’s tastes are different, and the fact you’re considering it means you’ve already answered that question.

Resale might be harder with this than a completely original car if you’re the type to change cars often. 

Whatever you decide, PPI all the way. Even then prepare to find issues as they’re 20 years old. Good luck with it! 

The only time the issue of originality, or Australian delivered, or converted or kms, or whatever is brought up is when you buy or when you sell. The rest of the time you just have a 996.

The way I see it, if you get a car like this (which has a fresher engine than pretty much anything else around), you get it for 25% less than market. You enjoy it while you have it in the exact same way as every other 996 owner, and when you sell it, you sell it again for 25% less than market. To me that is a win win. If 996's go through the roof in price and everyone is happy to pay $200k for a neat one, someone will still be happy to buy this one at a bargain price of $150k. Just look at GT3's with checkered history. They still sell.

I am just happy that so many people are happy to throw away a bunch of extra cash for a piece of paper that no one else sees. It means there are bargains for me :D

Just RE the mods - they are reversible - hasn't been cut up etc.

You can easily find original wheels and remove the EVOMS pod filter setup for an original airbox that works more efficiently, original suspension etc. These aren't things you need to be a mechanic to do - they are DIY jobs (the suspension is a more advanced DIY job) but wheels and intake - easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon it is definitely worth a look. Before I got mine I had a few conversations with the seller and think it is probably a pretty honest car and a good option for someone who wants to get in and drive - if picked up at the right price. 

What is that price? I reckon $45 would be top dollar IMO.

Completely agree with the sentiment regarding not worrying about too much of the details and just enjoying the ride and the fact that there’s a 911 in the garage waiting to get out there and drive... and the get out there and just do it!

Looks really good for a daily first Porsche. 

The inability to sell is no doubt because of the replacement engine with non matching numbers firstly, and secondly because transfer of ownership is not standard as the car is registered in Qld so may require a trip to Qld for the owner if sold to a Qlder. If sold in Vic it will need to go over the pits to get its RWC before it gets registered. Its just these little niggly parts of the deal which will possibly turn people off. For a discounted 996 this should not be an issue. 

Do matching numbers really matter that much on a 'mass produced car'..?  I think not, it's never going to be a 'classic' as such, because there are so damn many of them.  Drive it hard, enjoy it, as this is what they are GREAT for. 

Massive smiles for miles for not much outlay.  Its win win.

3 hours ago, WOKA said:

Do matching numbers really matter that much on a 'mass produced car'..?  I think not, it's never going to be a 'classic' as such, because there are so damn many of them.  Drive it hard, enjoy it, as this is what they are GREAT for. 

Massive smiles for miles for not much outlay.  Its win win.

I agree a 996 is a dime a dozen. But a buyer of a Porsche seems to always think they are buying a collectible. I can say that even if i was to buy a Boxster I would still prefer a matching numbers car just so that I would not have to deal with awkward questions from sellers pushing the price down for any reason when it comes time to sell it.