Would you buy this 996?

BRU

2 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

I agree a 996 is a dime a dozen. But a buyer of a Porsche seems to always think they are buying a collectible. I can say that even if i was to buy a Boxster I would still prefer a matching numbers car just so that I would not have to deal with awkward questions from sellers pushing the price down for any reason when it comes time to sell it. 

Fair enough, however that 'discount' should be realised st the point of purchase..  My 996 is in possession of its second engine as verified by PCB, with 35k less than what shows on the odometer.  I think my car with an indicated 114k, but with a motor with only 80k on it should be a reasonable proposition.?

2 hours ago, Harold996tt said:

I can say that even if i was to buy a Boxster I would still prefer a matching numbers car just so that I would not have to deal with awkward questions from sellers pushing the price down for any reason when it comes time to sell it. 

Buy low, put a smile on the dial and sell low. Still come out a huge winner in the fun department!

2 hours ago, WOKA said:

Fair enough, however that 'discount' should be realised st the point of purchase..  My 996 is in possession of its second engine as verified by PCB, with 35k less than what shows on the odometer.  I think my car with an indicated 114k, but with a motor with only 80k on it should be a reasonable proposition.?

Agree. Makes sense dollar wise. I wonder if the general market sees it the same way. I like the discount price all the more so if I am going to make her into a hot rod or drive the wheels off her. 

• 2 weeks later...

That car sat for ages in the mid $40s, then suddenly jumped up $10k! Not sure why.... I’m guessing if you’re really a genuine buyer you could convince the guy to drive it, although I could be wrong! I wonder if he’s just trying to put off time wasters with the no test drive thing

• 2 weeks later...

Just rounding this one out - the car I posted about originally has been marked as sold on carsales.. latest list price was ~$49k.

I'm still on the hunt, but haven't settled on a 996, 993 or 997 yet! I'm trying to get around and drive as many of them as I can so I can make a decision..

5 hours ago, BRU said:

I'm pretty open to influence to be honest.. whatcha got? :)

Mines an Ocean Blue 1998 996 manual coupe. Sahara interior. Clean car and used daily. Tubi exhaust and the rest of the car is stock. It's going in for a service in a few weeks so it'll be nice and fresh. NO leaks, No oil use no coolant leaks that is car related.. i accidentally didnt tighten the cap correctly lol..