718 GT4RS looks almost certain

DavidW•GT3•

• 4 weeks later...

Drug money.  Fitzy was getting around Sandown recently in his modified 718 Boxster S (wheels, semi slicks, springs, exhaust and tune only) in 1:17.8.  A bit slower in the hands of a non pro but a hard driven 981 GT4 is good for maybe 1:21.   He told me it cost him circa $100k + $30k in mods and he beats all the GT4s and 991 GT3s in Porsche club events.

I'd be pretty miffed if I spent $300k+ on a GT4 RS and got passed by a hot beetle.  How much is the flat 6 sound and the badge worth........🤔

10 minutes ago, DJM said:

Drug money.  Fitzy was getting around Sandown recently in his modified 718 Boxster S (wheels, semi slicks, springs, exhaust and tune only) in 1:17.8.  A bit slower in he hands of a non pro but a hard driven 981 GT4 is good for maybe 1:21.   He told me it cost him circa $100k + $30k in mods and he beats all the GT4s and 991 GT3s in Porsche club events.

I'd be pretty miffed if I spent $300k+ on a GT4 RS and got passed by a hot beetle.  How much is the flat 6 sound and the badge worth........🤔

3 times the price doesn't equal 3 times the fun (or as fast in this case!)

Hear what you're both saying but not sure the logic entirely holds up.  I track my 991 GT3 regularly and sometimes come in with lap times sitting behind GTRs etc that have had some work done (tyres, brakes, suspension, aero).  It doesn't phase me in the least.  Nobody stops to look or listen to the GTR, whereas everyone stops to look and listen to the GT3 because its a track ready Porsche that looks and sounds amazing!  At the end of the day that Porsche badge, model designation and driving experience are what you're paying for.  I'd personally take the engine note of any NA flat six Porsche ever produced (air or water cooled) over a turbo charged four cylinder 718 (irrespective of lap times), where with your eyes closed the sound is comparable to a Subaru WRX.  4pot 718s and WRXs are great cars, but the visceral/noise experience is lacking.  For me, it's the entire package of driving a car that matters, not simply lap times.  From a financial perspective, future values of a GT4 / RS will also hold up far better than a 718 boxster with some work done.  The whole question of "how much is the badge worth" is subjective and you only need to look at how the price of old Porsche 911s has appreciated to know that a crude economic rationalist view doesn't tend to apply when it comes to purchases of the heart!!!

8 hours ago, lazydave said:

Hear what you're both saying but not sure the logic entirely holds up.  I track my 991 GT3 regularly and sometimes come in with lap times sitting behind GTRs etc that have had some work done (tyres, brakes, suspension, aero).  It doesn't phase me in the least.  Nobody stops to look or listen to the GTR, whereas everyone stops to look and listen to the GT3 because its a track ready Porsche that looks and sounds amazing!  

Horses for courses. kids love giving thumbs up and taking video of my track car.  I previously owned a GT4, a GT2 and drove a 991GT3 at Spa.  No question they are all incredible, the only cars I know that can perform on track straight off the showroom floor.  I've regularly toyed with buying a 991 GT3.  I  even had the form from PCM to fill in for a possible future GT4 RS slot a while back.  What stops me?  I find it hard to enjoy them on road - too fast.  On track I've come to realise that a dedicated track car is more thrilling and much faster.  The GT3 PDK was great but if I tracked on a lot, I reckon I'd get bored because it's just too competent.  Not a criticism but for me personally I like wrestling a beast, working on my skills to get it to go quicker.  Oh and I'm punting $45k rather than 200+ allowing me to go much harder.

So it's not for me. But I get it. And yeah I'm not about to invest in a 718.  I was still a second faster than Fitzy 😀  I just found it fascinating that throwing a few bucks at one makes it outperform the GT cars.  

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Just curious, are your plans adding the GT4 RS to the stable, or replacing the GT3 with it @lazydave 

First world problem but I can't afford to keep both unfortunately.  Love the GT3 and quite honestly feel really torn about the decision.  Have owned a Cayman S and loved it, but always had that nagging feeling that it wasn't a 911!  What's swinging me towards the GT4 is the mid engine layout. Ultimately, I think it will come down to how much HP they pack the thing with.  

On 12/10/2019 at 21:43, Scott SS964 said:

Who's putting a reserve on one of these hmmm. I know a few ex racers have their names down already!!!

I have had a deposit on the GT4 RS at two Porsche dealers in OZ since I heard about the car in February 2018. The car will have around 485hp and will be PDK only. Its going to be a very limited production car positioned as a final farewell to the 718 so the car will not available until 2021....although it might be announced at the back end of next year.

In the meantime you will have the 718 GTS 4.0 (sold alongside the regular 2.5T GTS), 718 GT4/Spyder PDK and a very limited Boxster 25th anniversary car in the same colour scheme as the original Boxster prototype. i.e. Silver with copper coloured wheels.

27 minutes ago, lazydave said:

First world problem but I can't afford to keep both unfortunately.  Love the GT3 and quite honestly feel really torn about the decision.  Have owned a Cayman S and loved it, but always had that nagging feeling that it wasn't a 911!  What's swinging me towards the GT4 is the mid engine layout. Ultimately, I think it will come down to how much HP they pack the thing with.  

A GT4 is great.....but it's not a GT3.  A 485hp GT4 though......hmm that's 100hp more than a 981 GT4, would be a weapon and probably faster than a GT3.  Tough decision.

lazydave - Easy for you to say given you own a GT3!

I think the point is that for those on a budget they can now purchase a 718 S or GTS which can have similar GT4 or near GT3 performance. Wheels and tires alone make a massive difference keeping in mind GT4s and GT3s already come with relatively light wheels and stickier Cup 2 tires. 

I think the reference to the WRX is a bit harsh. Above 4000 RPM there is a distinct difference in sound to the WRX and the Porsche engine has quite a ring to it. See video clip below.

There is also an soundactor in the cabin which helps once disconnected. I am not saying the sound is better than the NA6, particularly a GT3, but it is just different but still enjoyable and unique to the 718, at least when driven WOT. Aside from that you can't go past the performance benefits of the mid-engines format. Just really impressive and exciting cars to drive. 

Also for those in the need stage 2 on a 718 GTS at circa 460hp will get you on par with a GT4 RS for a fraction of the price. Not that it needs it!

13 hours ago, lazydave said:

Yup, interesting perspective, but I think you are right... it would need to have a good HP bump over the current GT4 offering to make it attractive, although the RS ethos was about reducing weight too... so very curious to see how they package it! 

We've certainly seen at club level motorsport how good the platform is... 

• 1 year later...