Re-import an Australian car from the UK back into OZ

WGA

No sure if anybody knows the answer to this question.....but there is a car in the UK that I am interested in buying.

It was originally sold new in Australia in the 60's and subsequently exported to the UK in 2009 where it has been ever since. If I buy and re-import the car back into Australia, will it still be subject to import duty/VAT and LCT...or..... because all these taxes were paid on the car when it was sold new in Australia in the 60s, will it possibly be exempt?

41 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

Last time I looked at this all taxes and duties (import duty, LCT and GST) were payable. The exception was the original exporter bringing it back. 

Best to double check with an import agent though. 

Did the changes go through that provided for no import duty or LCT on a car reimported after repairs of modifications being made (presume this might have had to be the original exporter as you mentioned)? 

Made me think at the time it was announced that there was a exclusive exception for prospective Singer owners, as I remember talk of a couple of people looking for 964s here as donor cars....

Have a chat with the Bowdens, my understanding is if the car has previously been registered here- then you don’t pay twice - so no.

I recall a story when they bought the GT40 back to Aus, when it had lived here before. I thought they skipped the charges - but you will need documents to prove it’s been here.

But double check

1 hour ago, Jason A said:

Have a chat with the Bowdens, my understanding is if the car has previously been registered here- then you don’t pay twice - so no.

I recall a story when they bought the GT40 back to Aus, when it had lived here before. I thought they skipped the charges - but you will need documents to prove it’s been here.

But double check

Excuse my ignorance, but who are "the Bowdens"?