Guards red 944S

911barber

16 hours ago, Stepo said:

Looks like a lovely car, you’ll be happy with the way a set of Koni’s improves handling and ride, also worth checking your engine mounts if they haven’t been done.

This is good advice.  New Koni Yellows & genuine engine mounts made a world of difference to the ride in my S2.

6 hours ago, Jason E said:

This is good advice.  New Koni Yellows & genuine engine mounts made a world of difference to the ride in my S2.

Yep guys engine mounts all got done a month ago, although immaculate it’s was sitting around a long time so all rubbers in the car got changed, the KONIS should be the cherry on the cake. Although it lacks the ‘orchestra’ of my SC, it’s a hoot to drive and a lovely all round cruiser that turns nice. 

15 hours ago, 911B said:

Yep guys engine mounts all got done a month ago, although immaculate it’s was sitting around a long time so all rubbers in the car got changed, the KONIS should be the cherry on the cake. Although it lacks the ‘orchestra’ of my SC, it’s a hoot to drive and a lovely all round cruiser that turns nice. 

I'm still to look at improving the sound of my exhaust, I know what I want to do, just not the highest priority at the moment.

On top of a nice cruiser, if it's anything like my S2, it should give stock G series cars a run for their money, silky smooth gearbox and keeps you nice and cool in summer..........a great allrounder!

1 hour ago, Stepo said:

I'm still to look at improving the sound of my exhaust, I know what I want to do, just not the highest priority at the moment.

On top of a nice cruiser, if it's anything like my S2, it should give stock G series cars a run for their money, silky smooth gearbox and keeps you nice and cool in summer..........a great allrounder!

I replaced my exhaust with a OEM Porsche original, it wasn't much difference price wise, and im enjoying some smooth quiet sounds, im getting old. 

As you probably already know , the 16" design 90 ( cast and painted )Porsche wheels on you're 944S are from the next model ( the 944S2 )  . The standard 944S had the 15" x 7"  telephone wheels front & rear ( they never looked quite right and the later 944S2 wheels on you're car now look much nicer 

As a side note , the 944S had an expensive wheels option in 1987 & 1988 , the Fuchs ( forged and anodized )  7" x 16 " fronts and 8 " x 16 " rears  , I think I have only ever seen one 944S with the quite rare Fuchs wheels ( they look like the wheels on the 928S4 )

Regards
Bruce B

Very nice 944s. I have a pair of adjustable konis in the front and put bilsteins in the rear. Pretty happy with the way it drives.

Also tried looking up aus delivered numbers. But cant find any figures the below might help give you a rough idea of what was exported.

A total of 12,936 944 S models were produced from 1987 to 1988, with 8,815 being exported to the United States.

I've been told 20 were delivered in 1988. But dont know where that number came from.

Cheers

20190930_180005.jpg

Thanks for the info guys, yep Bruce, the 15x7 dials are in superb restored condition and are display pieces around the house and business, picked up the d90s cheap and thought some larger rubber suited, now u for me looking for Fuchs . Cheers 

2 hours ago, Buchanan Automotive said:

As you probably already know , the 16" design 90 ( cast and painted )Porsche wheels on you're 944S are from the next model ( the 944S2 )  . The standard 944S had the 15" x 7"  telephone wheels front & rear ( they never looked quite right and the later 944S2 wheels on you're car now look much nicer 

As a side note , the 944S had an expensive wheels option in 1987 & 1988 , the Fuchs ( forged and anodized )  7" x 16 " fronts and 8 " x 16 " rears  , I think I have only ever seen one 944S with the quite rare Fuchs wheels ( they look like the wheels on the 928S4 )

Regards
Bruce B

Bruce I have a set or original Fuchs from my sc in storage, I put turbo replicas on the 911 a decade ago, might see how I go putting the sc rims on the 44 . 

Hi George , the 944S2 wheels which are now on you're 944S now are  }

Front  = 7"x 16" X 55 mm ET  ( which is near perfect ) , the only thing that make an even better handling 944S / 944S2  is a square setup ( same for the 951, 87> & 968 ) & a common thing with the 944S2 ( because of their perfect weight distribution ) is to install another set of rears wheels an tyres on the front as well , meaning 8 " with  225 / 50 / 16 "  tyres  all round , this makes for perfect handling on a 944S2 " if " one stays with 16" dia wheels for the road and spirited driving style

The front Fuchs wheels from you're 911SC are 6" X 16" x 36 mm ET  , these are way too skinny for the front of a 944S or 944S2 & will make the car  under-steer when corning ( spirited driving )

Regards
Bruce B