The man cave / Shed thread

Uncle

Welcome Jack, how did you find this obscure corner of the internet? :D

Have seen your thread on Garage Journals a while ago and promised myself I'd steal your scissor jack idea for my next garage project.

I love the way you put it all together in a small space and on a limited budget. Plenty of great ideas and neat little touches.

Good on you Jack. Thanks for sharing your story, awesome and love the car. The whole setup looks just perfect.

I am very envious....

I would love to have such a space to play in but circumstances don't allow it. Oh well I will enjoy looking at everyone else's...

Cheers

Chris

Good timing on the post Jack. Now I've finished the bar I've moved onto the work area. Floor has been painted in a light Grey workshop epoxy floor paint and I've gotten hold of 10 double door steel lockers that I am repainting right now. Tomorrow I'll finish painting them up then load all the parts and stuff off the racks I have now and change it all over.

I am big believer in Lean/6 sigma working well in a workshop environment so with some 6S planning I hope to come out with a well set up work area. The hoist might happen over the xmas holidays.

Thanks, guys.

No beer fridge or pizza oven. Here's the shop's only amenity:

starroener.jpg

Welcome Jack, how did you find this obscure corner of the internet? :D

The web page tells me what site people are coming from -- and I saw a wave of visits that had summer and winter switched. :)

Uncle,

What are you repainting steel lockers with?

The web page tells me what site people are coming from -- and I saw a wave of visits that had summer and winter switched. :)

We are glad to have you here. I am not sure if people who aren't "garage enthusiasts" quite realise that we have a celebrity on board.

Just checked out a few of your forum posts from a google search, and even found a picture of Uncles pussy would you believe.

Loved the YouTube instruction video on Willow Springs Raceway, Jack. Even I got a lot out of it from way down here. some interesting apex's..

Great to have you on our Forum.

Thanks very much.

...how about a section on the car build, and ongoing work, including track days etc ?.

Do you mean a section like that on the garage's web site? There's pretty good documentation of the car's (re-)build at this link. And you'll find a regular dose of track updates at the same site, as well as videos on my YouTube page.

This is an

from ten days ago. I had tried making a set of lighter-weight uprights for the wing I run on track days, and they gave out in a way that would make you think they were made of the thinnest aluminum foil (they're 10 gauge). I don't keep a camera pointed on the rear wing, but my rear-facing camera happened to catch the shadow of the uprights as they buckled and collapsed.

Just checked out a few of your forum posts from a google search, and even found a picture of Uncles pussy would you believe.

Loved the YouTube instruction video on Willow Springs Raceway, Jack. Even I got a lot out of it from way down here. some interesting apex's..

Great to have you on our Forum.

Thank you.

was made impulsively and quickly -- you can hear our cat meowing outside the office door in parts of it. But a lot of people have liked it. I wouldn't feel qualified to do something like that for most of the tracks I drive, but Willow Springs is my home track and I've been driving there (almost every month) for 13 years now.

I got the car out of the garage today, and got a chance to drive an empty stretch of (locally famous) Mulholland Drive. Here's a picture I snapped at the end of the run, you can almost hear the engine clicking as it cools and smell the hot brake pads and tires. (I had a wide angle lens on the camera, which gives the car an exaggerated look -- it makes the wheels look enormous.)

mulhollandnov252012.jpg

Thank you. That video was made impulsively and quickly -- you can hear our cat meowing outside the office door in parts of it. But a lot of people have liked it. I wouldn't feel qualified to do something like that for most of the tracks I drive, but Willow Springs is my home track and I've been driving there (almost every month) for 13 years now.

I got the car out of the garage today, and got a chance to drive an empty stretch of (locally famous) Mulholland Drive. Here's a picture I snapped at the end of the run, you can almost hear the engine clicking as it cools and smell the hot brake pads and tires. (I had a wide angle lens on the camera, which gives the car an exaggerated look -- it makes the wheels look enormous.)

mulhollandnov252012.jpg

Mullholland Drive.. Magic, .....boy does that legendary name get the imagination working.

And.....very nice photo, car looks great, wide angle lens works well.

Progress has been made this week. Steamwolf found me some double door cabs for a very good price so I picked up 10 of them. The next week was spent cleaning and giving them a little paint. Now they are in I'll give them a 2nd coat of paint and we are all done.Well apart from some Gyprock I still have not gotten around to hanging.

With a little luck over Xmas I might be able to do a floor hoist like our illustrious mate Jack.

Looking in.

E8569D3D-046C-4EE6-8A9A-43D6792ECF83-4663-000004C4DCBD0B42.jpg

Looking out.

5DA66FC5-D59D-491B-B4BB-A1C96D719F2B-4663-000004C4FE40B02C.jpg