The man cave / Shed thread

Uncle

Well I suppose I can add some pics of my man cave. 

I covered the painting of my garage floor when I first got it built http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/5097-painting-my-garage-floor/

When I finally got a place big enough I wanted to put in a big shed. I am on over half an acre, but I was still limited in size due to the shape and slope of the block. I eventually squeezed in a 7m x 12m man cave.

4244C993-A34B-402B-A3CA-5B066D494EAC_zps

I even built my wood rack above the MG ant just the right height for myself (I'm 5'8) anyone over 5'9 needs to watch their head ;)

8C63EE08-FEE1-4224-BA65-D8C3A4F4CAF7_zps

03C75CB5-7251-43B8-9689-240911823D56_zps

I still have some more to do. I got the floor reinforced for a hoist in the back right, so that will go in later.

Nice one!  I'm in the same boat, we used to live out on acreage and have heaps of space.  After that we moved closer in and I largely made do and modified some things around, but it has always resulted in having to keep cars in off site storage.  Fast forward and we bought a nice block of land with a house on it about two years ago the Mrs found and that got me thinking of garage space again, we have just finished the build of a new house and over the past 10-12 months I've been thinking about what I wanted garage wise and how best to use the space on site. 

There were a few iterations but we've landed on something that I think will work well and have just got the approval though from council for the new garage which should look something like the existing one but following the below plans.  I've had a mate who does this stuff as a gig run it all for me and he's done a great job of managing to get it through council in good time and will organise construction as thats what he does (turn key garages/ fit outs etc).

The below structure is going to be knocked down and we'll retain use of the existing slab- this section is essentially going to be a home office/ relax area that looks down on the garage space below.  It'll be 4 cars on the lower space (plus hoist) with the ability to put two on the home office/sitting area which will sit basically where the existing garage/shed is. 

IMG_1296_zpszilctkab.jpg

Site context shot - provision for new slab and driveway was done when the main garage driveway was poured. 

IMG_1299_zpsqet3c1lq.jpg

Existing attached garage

IMG_1295_zpsegh6nwne.jpg

Currently the main garage is setup with porcelain tiles and some (not too many OS fluorescent lights).  It's predominately used/going to be used for housing daily drivers and for ease of access to the house in adverse weather.  

The new garage is going to be my get away space/tinker and place where the weekend/fun cars go along with my push bikes etc. 

IMG_1677_zps3s8c0p2i.jpg

New garage plans:

I'm planning on using something like this for the door for the elevated section as I'm likely going to have this as a sitting area with a some lounges, tables TV etc and home office setup with a desk/workbench run along one of the walls.  It's been designed to be largely in keeping with the existing house but I might only have the main frontage you can see coming down the driveway match and used some recycled bricks I have for the rest of the exterior.  Roof will be colour bond and the door to the sitting/seperate space we're planning to do out of glass so it gets lots of light 

4368565_f520_zpsjj61vv3y.jpg

Garage7_zpsm5f1hgdy.jpg

We've designed it with enough ceiling height to add additional stacker storage or a hoist (currently there should be 4m of usable internal ceiling height)

Garage6_zpsgmkicwrv.jpg

Garage3_zpsuhxb7crw.jpg

Hoping we'll start construction in Feb/March and be done by May or so, the slab will likely get poured by the end of the month with any luck

That looks fantastic!

I love the office space overlooking the garage. I really would love to put in another garage myself, so that I could keep the messy workshop separate from the nice clean garage. I also stuffed up with my shed by not going tall enough. mine is only 2.7 to the eaves, where I should have gone 3.0 or even better 3.3. When I put the hoist in I will be limited in how high I can get the cars (good thing I am a short ass ;) ).

Jeff.

My man cave is a 2 car garage attached to my house. It has room for my Porsche, my tools, assorted crap, a beer fridge, and my clothes line.  I gotta put that outside so I can put my new car inside.  Previous owner put some decent shelving in, which I've managed to fill quite quickly.

Newly completed mancave ,back yard shed ..........one side for the 911 and my Haro collection other side dedicated workshop area ...........:)

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0133_1.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

Haro collection? There wouldn't happen to be a Haro Freestyler in that somewhere? Had one when I was a kid, can't believe his much the mid 80's ones sell for now, would love another as a retro toy....

Nice one!  I'm in the same boat, we used to live out on acreage and have heaps of space.  After that we moved closer in and I largely made do and modified some things around, but it has always resulted in having to keep cars in off site storage.  Fast forward and we bought a nice block of land with a house on it about two years ago the Mrs found and that got me thinking of garage space again, we have just finished the build of a new house and over the past 10-12 months I've been thinking about what I wanted garage wise and how best to use the space on site. 

There were a few iterations but we've landed on something that I think will work well and have just got the approval though from council for the new garage which should look something like the existing one but following the below plans.  I've had a mate who does this stuff as a gig run it all for me and he's done a great job of managing to get it through council in good time and will organise construction as thats what he does (turn key garages/ fit outs etc).

The below structure is going to be knocked down and we'll retain use of the existing slab- this section is essentially going to be a home office/ relax area that looks down on the garage space below.  It'll be 4 cars on the lower space (plus hoist) with the ability to put two on the home office/sitting area which will sit basically where the existing garage/shed is. 

IMG_1296_zpszilctkab.jpg

Site context shot - provision for new slab and driveway was done when the main garage driveway was poured. 

IMG_1299_zpsqet3c1lq.jpg

Existing attached garage

IMG_1295_zpsegh6nwne.jpg

Currently the main garage is setup with porcelain tiles and some (not too many OS fluorescent lights).  It's predominately used/going to be used for housing daily drivers and for ease of access to the house in adverse weather.  

The new garage is going to be my get away space/tinker and place where the weekend/fun cars go along with my push bikes etc. 

IMG_1677_zps3s8c0p2i.jpg

New garage plans:

I'm planning on using something like this for the door for the elevated section as I'm likely going to have this as a sitting area with a some lounges, tables TV etc and home office setup with a desk/workbench run along one of the walls.  It's been designed to be largely in keeping with the existing house but I might only have the main frontage you can see coming down the driveway match and used some recycled bricks I have for the rest of the exterior.  Roof will be colour bond and the door to the sitting/seperate space we're planning to do out of glass so it gets lots of light 

4368565_f520_zpsjj61vv3y.jpg

Garage7_zpsm5f1hgdy.jpg

We've designed it with enough ceiling height to add additional stacker storage or a hoist (currently there should be 4m of usable internal ceiling height)

Garage6_zpsgmkicwrv.jpg

Garage3_zpsuhxb7crw.jpg

Hoping we'll start construction in Feb/March and be done by May or so, the slab will likely get poured by the end of the month with any luck

I think  the mancave development business will be booming after these posts , can we clone your plans …whats the approx build costs ?

I have just sold my place and have cars parked in every state .. maybe a  double mancave that the women has a bedroom on the end of is the answer  ;)

Either that or Im coming to park my cars around you fellas houses 

I think  the mancave development business will be booming after these posts , can we clone your plans …whats the approx build costs ?

I have just sold my place and have cars parked in every state .. maybe a  double mancave that the women has a bedroom on the end of is the answer  ;)

Either that or Im coming to park my cars around you fellas houses 

I have have had a quote for the construction works based on the above plans but now its all through council will be locking down a firm quote with the builder over the next few weeks, unsure on totals until thats done but will be 5 figures. 

Im inspired … going on my new property desire list ;)  Sorry didnt mean to be personal but you know when you can afford a Mini and your looking at Porsches… Im supposed to be downsizing… 

I said the house .not the garage anyway 

MANCAVES.COM.AU is available and I reckon you could create a storming business , just need a storm trooper

Enjoy

Im inspired … going on my new property desire list ;)  Sorry didnt mean to be personal but you know when you can afford a Mini and your looking at Porsches… Im supposed to be downsizing… 

I said the house .not the garage anyway 

MANCAVES.COM.AU is available and I reckon you could create a storming business , just need a storm trooper

Enjoy

No issue at all, I wasn't more specific as I'd hate to quote a figure and have it end up miles away :)

I've always said to the Mrs my ideal house is the one from the old Gran Turismo adverts where there is essentially a shack of a house and 50 garages.   I'll keep things updated as they progress as far as build and cost but it'll be under $100k.  The first one we came up with and had priced was the price of a small house so that quickly went out the window!

Already exists here in Melbourne, but having enquired (as they're just up the road from me), the prices were as impressive as the suggested finish

http://www.mancavestorage.com.au/the-facility

I'll stick to having a decent sized garage designed when we get round to knocking our house down in a couple of years, the garage will be on the architects brief !!

Mate, with a penchant for old Mustangs,  just had one done by MANCAVES and he lives up in Lima South (between Benalla and Mansfield) they did a great job.   

He was very very impressed with them.    He even got a free t shirt ha ha.

Here's my joint. Excuse the mess, as I had some lads over for a jam.

This space is about 6m x 9m, yet I have roughly 5m x 6m behind the black door and red wall to the right where the 912 lives. Am planning to knock the wall down and install a auto roller door linked to the one that opens to the footpath, so I can drive straight into the mancave, and park it behind the couch so I can just look at it. The bar will be tossed soon, as its not used and takes up too much space, then I have to gut the place so that I can spray paint the walls and ceiling (bugger using rollers and a brush!). Easy to do and relatively cheap, but it won't happen until I have the car on the road and then have the bathroom sorted

20160110_214201.jpg

20160110_214137.jpg

• 1 month later...

I can see how these mancaves get approved by "her". Not a speck of dirt , or randomly piled junk.

Show us your workshop!

My "mancave" dream will likely approach 6 figures if I add in my planning time and onsite supervision..

Love the Eames furniture. Dunno if I'd put it in my shed though

I've been eyeballing the toolboxes at Bunnings for ages. They had the big one similar to these with a stereo and ice box. Soft close drawers lined with 3mm rubber

Newly completed mancave ,back yard shed ..........one side for the 911 and my Haro collection other side dedicated workshop area ...........:)

IMG_0133_1.jpg

I love the Haro collection! They were my dream BMX growing up as a 12 year old in the early 80s

Edited by Blue964

Been working on this for the last couple of weeks, Coming together nicely.

IMG_7631_zps7yiipnue.jpg

IMG_7982_zpshsunnrmg.jpg

IMG_7987_zpsju3uacoz.jpg

Construction costs under 6k at the moment. Once I add the office , toilet, Hoist and shelving my build budget of 10k shall be exhausted.

Cheers Theo Z..............

PS. See you at Cars and Coffee This Saturday!

Edited by Samios Foods