The man cave / Shed thread

Uncle

Differing range of playtoys, what's the silver one a Spitfire?

yup a quite custom spitfire

my workplace is actually the old garden shed, which has been cleaned up and recently extended prior to doing the garage (this will do nothing to allay the neighbour's suspicions that i am running a body shop out of my backyard).

I figured because it was going to be a messy place to work i simply painted the floor with whatever leftover paint i could find haha. will see how that goes.XgZ6NIN.jpg

Eok4kQN.jpg?1

Mk5uk0D.jpg?1

LLLfr1F.jpg?1

Edited by clutch-monkey

We only have a single garage so SWMBO's Spitfire lives in that, the 911 lives under the single carport in front of it. My Dad arrives from the UK for a 3 week visit on Thursday, while he's over we're building a carport out the front of the house just so I have proper coverage for the other 2 cars. Built out of timber, I can always nail a few slats on the sides to enclose it if necessary....

Should do until we knock this place down and I get my 4 car garage (well, 6 car if I get the roofline design high enough for a couple of hoists. Must get ourselves an architect soon)

We only have a single garage so SWMBO's Spitfire lives in that, the 911 lives under the single carport in front of it. My Dad arrives from the UK for a 3 week visit on Thursday, while he's over we're building a carport out the front of the house just so I have proper coverage for the other 2 cars. Built out of timber, I can always nail a few slats on the sides to enclose it if necessary....

Should do until we knock this place down and I get my 4 car garage (well, 6 car if I get the roofline design high enough for a couple of hoists. Must get ourselves an architect soon)

@hugh

ok so the downside of nice new garage floor is waiting for it to cure, can't put anything heavy on it.. i have to play project car slalom trying to leave for work. If hail storm hits, i'd be buggered!

OqLR2Ht.jpg?1

Nice collection. I am actually on the hunt for a 240/260Z at the moment for project number 2 ;)

Nice collection. I am actually on the hunt for a 240/260Z at the moment for project number 2 ;)

ok but be ready, my experience compared to the 911:
nothing aftermarket fits, because either a) the parts were made poorly, b ) the car was made poorly, or most often c) both

they all have rust. like.. guaranteed

reverse flow engines are a pain

the fumes are ever present, making it difficult to drive further than 20 min at a time, this is apparently a factory feature

not particularly fast

there is no equivalent for pelican parts, walloth and nesch, etc. you'll be scouring gum tree for some shagged diff off a different nissan to rebuid etc.

the balance is nice though and they look good

Edited by clutch-monkey

ok but be ready, my experience compared to the 911:nothing aftermarket fits, because either a) the parts were made poorly, b ) the car was made poorly, or most often c) both

they all have rust. like.. guaranteed

reverse flow engines are a pain

the fumes are ever present, making it difficult to drive further than 20 min at a time, this is apparently a factory feature

not particularly fast

there is no equivalent for pelican parts, walloth and nesch, etc. you'll be scouring gum tree for some shagged diff off a different nissan to rebuid etc.

the balance is nice though and they look good

That is definitly helping me make up my mind with how to build it. I was swaying between neat, slightly custom rebuild, and full resto mod. I am swaying more and more to full resto mod, by buying a cosmetically crappy R33 Skyline and attempting to swap in everything, including the whole drivetain, and even try to get the climate control, etc, working in the Z. That way having a nice classic, that starts, and drives like new, with all the bells and whistles (and is not too slow either). I have owned a bunch of RB Nissans, so I know my way around them pretty well. Probably biting off more than I can chew, but I tend to keep on chewing ;) .

That is definitly helping me make up my mind with how to build it. I was swaying between neat, slightly custom rebuild, and full resto mod. I am swaying more and more to full resto mod, by buying a cosmetically crappy R33 Skyline and attempting to swap in everything, including the whole drivetain, and even try to get the climate control, etc, working in the Z. That way having a nice classic, that starts, and drives like new, with all the bells and whistles (and is not too slow either). I have owned a bunch of RB Nissans, so I know my way around them pretty well. Probably biting off more than I can chew, but I tend to keep on chewing ;) .

i reckon you won't have any trouble- and hey with the aircon on, it keeps the cabin pressurized so no fumes come in..

with even moderate RB power i reckon put a half cage in at minimum (i have a weld in cage in mine) as the body rigidity is a bit ho hum (if you jack up one side, the bonnet won't open; it jams shut from the body flex lol).

mine is stock with triple webers going on, cam, exhaust, coilovers from MCA soon, etc. just mild, oem+ style upgrades.

I actually had a plan similar to yours, but wanted to keep it n/a so was looking at transplanting a VQ35de and it's six speed box in. very achievable, and the engine sits entirely behind the front crossmember!

I would prefer NA as well. I looked at the VQ but I really thought it would be good with a straight 6. The problem is that the RB25DE is heavy and gutless. I did like Sung Kang's RB26 NA engine, but that is big money. I still need to find a half decent Z shell, to start with, but they are going the way of 911 prices (at least percentage increases).

Edited by MFX

I think that might be the wrong way around.

LOL

Nope, having spent more on restoring it than the 911 cost me to buy, the Spitfire gets the garage. It's also SWMBO's first car and we've had it for 22 years, so leaving it outside isn't an option :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...