My Martini RSR build project

patrick911

• 3 months later...

Time for an update:

we managed to find the correct paint colors for the Martini stripes & logos, which was a bit of a pain. I couldn't find anyone who could tell me the correct colors used on the RSRs in 1973, and looking at restored and non-restored cars, it really looks as if none is exactly the same.

A bit of trial and error then, but I think we landed on a good selection that is close to the original, for what that is worth...

We also finished the work on the hood, where we finished the openable caps over the dry-breaks, and 'glassed' the balsa wood strips in place exactly as the original had.

We now just have to give it a light amber paint finish to make it look old, but other than that we're pretty much ready for paint. Yay!!

AM-JKLUGg332QgIuyd4aMLlKVsZPAs7I8R2sE917

AM-JKLU0q7GzjX5pZzSSa5qiGJdPsj2hhjbgc3Oz

AM-JKLVszAdrbhOAy_hdUFmhYAgQMAKwOvZXRzQ0

• 1 month later...

Things are moving again. cool.gif

We sealed the front trunk and painted it grand-prix white and yesterday I was finally able to spend some time on the car again myself; It had been months with work and other things getting in the way.
And whilst we're waiting for a timeslot in the painters' busy schedule, we've started with building up the car where possible.
First item on the list was the wiring harness and earth cable that have to go through the tunnel.
I remember getting so frustrated when taking the donor car apart that I cut the old harness, thinking for a build like this I wanted brand new connections, and not worrying about 40+ year old wires.
But, getting the wiring through and in the right spot was a huge pain. Cost us the whole day just to get those cables through and fitted and do the front wiring correctly.

Anyway, super glad that is in now and kudos to Kroon who supplied the cables; the length, colors used and connectors are all fantastic. You can almost see where the connectors have to go just by the length of the individual parts: Amazing stuff.
I know they're not cheap, but at moments like this it does pay off as you get what you pay for.
Having said that, there are a few things I still need to fix. With the changed battery location I'll have to drill a hole to lead the earth cable from the interior into the smugglers box, and the standard wiring loom has two battery cables that also need re-directing.
Then there's the two Mercedes/Bosch fuel pumps left and right that need a power connection, Just like I need to ensure the external & internal cut-offs interrupt everything, including the fuel pumps.

AL9nZEVFGfRw7Le-9O2fMjuZW0wONOqvPpxEuFSt

AL9nZEUgD52LvQme8n5kScCHzFcmiAX60qenYZY9

AL9nZEUPxW87Kudnt33-8oL4_TFzRUhthD-GlfAa

AL9nZEW_p2c1dkpbweYiwGF8yLlmKAypQfMypoXb

AL9nZEWqY8EZHRT_S9w7-VF05hKElAPPHW3Ts77_

Next are brake lines, roll-bars, hand-brake and the (dual cylinder) pedal box, which I first will have to paint and put together as it got scratched a few months bavk to do the dry-fitting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Few little jobs completed over the last few weeks. Painted both the plate used for the CDIs in the engine bay as well as the dual-brake pedal box assembly in satin black, created the cables for the battery cut-offs and the 2 fuel pumps, as the standard wiring loom obviously didn't have them, ordered new brake lines and all of the steering stuff I couldn't re-use from the 1976 donor (steering shaft & column differs which would have meant I would have needed a hub to mount my original 1973 RSR 380mm steering wheel. Plus the plastic covers don't fit, so a lot of little things but they all add up...

Ordered from Rose Passion in France this time - they're not cheap (but then again, nothing overseas really is) but they have a great website & great service, plus all items are OEM Porsche which for me, trying to be as close to the original as possible, is a big plus.

Also used a bit of de-greaser to clean the original horns as they are the correct ones for the 73 car. Just need to figure out how to mount them, as they normally go on the battery box, which the factory RSR doesn't have.

Finally, spent most time on trying to identify what is what with regard to the wiring loom and the instruments. I had labelled everything when I took things apart a few years back, but of course, as luck will have it, the instruments, and connectors are all very different between the two model years. Anyway, I think I figured it out; printing and laminating the 73 wiring diagram in A2 was a big help.  Awaiting the arrival of more parts and trying to find time to start building up a few things on the car.

AL9nZEXISyOofpfQeocot_MV3ywtxkbT9AtOJIa3

AL9nZEVh4qs4yL_S7mFo68GPIiazNd7xofOKOPyn

AL9nZEWSKkXwodYs7PBbiFrP9yg71VJXDKFNz16L

• 1 month later...

A few progress pictures.
Whilst we're waiting for a slot at the painters, we're doing some dry-fitting and build-up of the already painted inside.
I'm not happy yet with the fit of the right-hand side fuel-pump, plus both of them need re-plating, the bolts are incorrect for now, and I have tape and plastic under the brake-cilinders to prevent scratches, so all that will need changing.
But it was a good exercise, and it allows us to work out where certain fuel and brake lines will need to go for this specific application.
Most of the instrument wiring I managed to work out, but there's a few things missing -> so a bit more homework, and even though I thought I worked out the tunnel-holes to use, I turned out to be quite wrong....
Anyway, apart from the brake line and shift-rod everything is through the tunnel, including the speedometer wire that the original '76 chassis never had.
It's still slow going, but progress nonetheless. It's great to be in the build-up phase!

AL9nZEXCs2dZYxhOQDxAKnwXfrKh8eVLwewTIJvy

AL9nZEUuk9Ks3qwzmv4L0l6gxLjXeQHOk8VqeMMv

AL9nZEU3kzdT7OkPbm2usieBATO9EVgSGgfixZ3Q

AL9nZEVyPUtOctquxrASK7YzwJAvuFrCyb0YPZp6

AL9nZEWmyzcuBJo-uBWIHlOimcdNGfJOjgFBjun3

AL9nZEULQnXON4Nz8T_sIIy_NuwsSYfhPyKZAWgG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Masking the car for the Martini striping has started. It's incredible how much time these things take. Even when preparing with looking at corner-radiusses and distances, masking the outlines on the chassis & doors took a full day with 2 people, then this morning was needed to cover the rest of the body off before paint can actually occur. 

Anyway, pretty chuffed that the outlines look OK, compared to period pictures of the original and that the lines from the roof and hood seems to have a nice continuity. Also, the stencils/templates we had made for the actual Martini logo on the doors, the "Martini Racing" texts on the roof and hood all seem 100% correct to scale, which is (you could say coincidence, but I say it's excellence obviously) very lucky!

AL9nZEUIQDvQUi4UvlJUMlyGN5nY6DvUUb6RmFJu

AL9nZEWb56eRQM8nQH2JtG-6_Zll4DHExc6EA9Ey

AL9nZEXRQ1eWEzYga-ZYKVcIJSYihgZxsLnAKA9a

AL9nZEV6aLQywZleITuG2uhWRrZIweRMQQrH-0MS

compare to the original:

AL9nZEU0UccWfmxkEhs0SvaXkqoX4KNAIOSH1TK2

• 1 month later...

A little bit more progress - it's slow going though. It took us 2 days to get the outline for the red bar on the sides 100% lining up with the Martini stencil we made up. One issue was that we have large print outs of the restored car.... but it doesn't align with the car in period pictures. 

AMWts8BcAPaBpvvly4ZyTiRosLzkkiHUP2renKJn

AMWts8AMwXBCnVi8cRzw2e7fM-8cZzQlTcuHNvZZ

AMWts8BO3x3gKL6QD9qjowaroYQgASyuezmwaKmy

Also fitted the Rennline battery holder for the relocation of the smaller, single battery to the smuggler box.

The smuggler box still has to be painted white, and I think I will modify the rennline kit a bit to make it appear more period correct, before we also paint that white. I know this part is not period correct, but it is convenient & safe and something we, for once, don't have to fabricate ourselves.

More painting & masking to come....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

AJFCJaVPhqcKy1sKq73Wf7HC5pT4GyhvGvBLjkkJ

AJFCJaXP86yaJbRZOItb-3bTV0iljHL60YgNR9L_

AJFCJaU5OdHXeA-NSBbubsoNhyFkqpgMsZHkkmAw

AJFCJaVuqQck3uQiEEEIFWPyGo91nDOBiar9gG_Y

The hood and roof paint jobs have finished, we're now masking the front and rear bumpers for the orange parts, and have positioned the templates on the hoods to get the Martini logos painted correctly.

I received the correct ducktail and it is now being fitted, whilst we also positioned the tie-downs. 

Hopefully the next pictures show a completed paintjob, after which we can start the build up properly, by adding some suspension bits.