Handwritten notes on 996 delivery card?

Luc V Rustbucket

Hey guys - Just signed up as I'm about to take the plunge on a 996 4S. 

Trying to check the car over to ensure it's OG. 

Doing my due diligence and the owner noted handwritten notes on the original delivery card. He had no idea what they were. 

I've attached the photo - hoping someone can point me in the right direction of what they mean

Compliance and engine number perhaps?

PS - the car will get a PPI from Hamilton's in Sydney. 

numbers.jpg

Hi Luc,  My  books have the same.  #Eng is the engine number but not sure about the #Com  but maybe Transmission ID as the actual printed part of the sticker only have the Engine type code and gearbox type code, so based onthat I am assuming it would e teh gearbox number? ( But I am only guessing as I really would not know :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

US Class Action Lawsuit[edit]

In 2013 PCNA settled a class-action lawsuit brought by Bruce Eisen et al., without accepting liability. The lawsuit sought compensation for owners of MY2001 to MY 2005 Boxster and 996 cars that had experienced an IMS failure. The original action was to include the 1998 and 1999 M96 units, but the IMS failure rate on these 3.4L cars was so low that it was decided to exclude them from the action.[6]

Porsche agreed to compensate owners of cars made between 4 May 2001 and 21 February 2005 who had experienced an IMS bearing failure within the first ten years of the car's life, or 130,000 miles, whichever came first. Owners who had changed the IMS bearing as a preventative measure were also eligible for compensation. Note however the schedule of payments was weighted heavily in the favour of cars purchased through the Approved Certified Pre-Owned Program ("ACPO").

Original owner ACPO purchaser Used Not ACPO
Up to 50,000 miles 100% 100% 25%
50,001 to 60,000 miles 90% 100% 25%
60,001 to 70,000 miles 80% 100% 25%
70,001 to 80,000 miles 70% 100% 25%
80,001 to 90,000 miles 60% 100% 25%
90,001 to 100,000 miles 50% 100% 25%
100,001 to 130,000 miles 40% 40% 25%

Not ALL 996's like i had originally thought i had read. However i know of some that had it replaced by the factory.. like mine.

10 hours ago, Luc V Rustbucket said:

lol

what?

16 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

"ALL", seriously?!

my understanding was that ALL Porsches affected by the IMS issue got sorted by the dealers. However the lawsuit states that cars produced between 2001 and 2005 that are affected before 10 years or 130,000 miles which ever one came first.

130,000 miles = 209,214 KM.  Mine was a 1998 and the engine was replaced when it had 35,000km's by the dealer. My mechanic has the paper work but when i drop the car off for a service ill see if i can find it.

On 28/11/2019 at 09:17, Luc V Rustbucket said:

I love where this thread has gone. Reminds me of the time Oprah gave out free cars. 

"Everyone gets a free engine. You get an engine! You get an engine! You get an engine!"

Sorry, was trying to help.

After having  the rear of my car up nice and high for repairs, I checked my engine number and the books. Mine has hand written notes like that also.

The bottom number is definitely the engine number,  so mine has had an engine swap. Top number I'm not sure. Could be a job number for easy reference. I didn't think much of notes until later on as a rush sale.

Don't know replaced when new or later on. Will find out more when getting some parts this week.

I ran out if patience for due diligence 😂