Oil Cooler Air Scoop

Merv

As the weather heats up dramatically in the north, I have been checking the operation of the front wing-mounted oil cooler.  All seems good and flow through the pipes to and from the cooler seems on spec. I can't hear the fan coming on but plan on checking that when I work out how to test the fan at the fuse box.

I was also looking at these https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-PORSCHE-911-Oil-Cooler-Air-Scoop-fits-S-SC-930-Turbo-1974-89-buy-one-or-two/362699853752?hash=item5472988fb8:g:NfoAAOxy4kpQ9X5S

Are they useful and is there an Australian source?

I use a scoop on my SC and assume it has benefit.

There is some opinion around the traps that the fan doesn't do much more than block air flow while driving in most situations. It needs to be a stinkin hot day with you sitting still for the fan to come on which is what it was designed to do.

While driving the air flow is sufficient to not heat the engine/oil enough to have the fan engage but it is mounted on the front of the cooler which acts as a barrier to air flow while driving.

Merv,

I reckon save your money.

Logical Reasoning:  For a street driven, reasonably standard car the only time they get really hot is in bumper to bumper traffic on a hot day.  In those situations the air scoop won't help anyway.

Emotional Reasoning:  My recollection is your car is far to nice to install something so naff looking.

😊

1 hour ago, ruby82sc said:

You would need to bridge or bypass the thermostat and trick it into thinking you are stuck in traffic on a stinken hot day.

My interest is where to do that. On the fuse box? 

I don't know how it has been wired but a basic circuit would be powered from the fuse panel to a relay triggered by the thermostat.

If you can follow the wiring back from the fan you should be able to work out what is power, earth and switch then introduce power back to the fan downstream of the relay/switching device.

16 hours ago, ruby82sc said:

I use a scoop on my SC and assume it has benefit.

There is some opinion around the traps that the fan doesn't do much more than block air flow while driving in most situations. It needs to be a stinkin hot day with you sitting still for the fan to come on which is what it was designed to do.

While driving the air flow is sufficient to not heat the engine/oil enough to have the fan engage but it is mounted on the front of the cooler which acts as a barrier to air flow while driving.

the fan does not block enough air to be a detriment when driving, and certainly keeps oil temps safe when stuck in traffic.

my next mod will be testing a small water nozzle placed on the deck lid to send a mist into the engine fan as an extra buffer for track days

Interesting thread!  Overall however the use of the air scoop seems to have negligible effect on the tests performed by the OP. The use of a clean 'trombone' oil line seems to help more. 

My fan does work.  I found on the circuit diagram that a black wire in the right front of the trunk area was the direct feed and with an external 12V source, it spins up well.  That is good news.  However, the next test is to see if the thermostat triggers it and if so at what dC it does this.  The 'stat does open as I can feel the pipes are hot when the temp gauge is on, or close to, the second white mark. I haven't pushed it beyond there yet.  Summer is coming!

22 hours ago, Merv said:

Points taken Peter and Ruby.  Leave it alone.  I would like to test the fan operation however.  is there a 'jump' process as the fuse box?

I knew I remembered seeing an old thread about this. See second comment.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/313264-oil-cooler-fan-tstat-switch-installation.html

Thanks for this.  I had seen it but could not find it again.  Three things are useful in that thread: 1) using a lower temp thermostat switch 2) doing that without removing the front bumper and 3) fitting a manual over ride switch that can turn on the fan by grounding the relay.  All very useful!