New 718 Owner

I pick up my first Porsche tomorrow, so i'm pretty excited.  I am new to the forum, and haven't been reading anything to date and just joined. 

I'm normally a Mercedes guy, and decided to go for an Adventurine Green (or advent urine now i can't unsee that) 718.  Once i saw the colour i was hooked.   I nearly went back to an SLC 43.

39 minutes ago, MSH said:

I pick up my first Porsche tomorrow, so i'm pretty excited.  I am new to the forum, and haven't been reading anything to date and just joined. 

I'm normally a Mercedes guy, and decided to go for an Adventurine Green (or advent urine now i can't unsee that) 718.  Once i saw the colour i was hooked.   I nearly went back to an SLC 43.

Welcome aboard MSH, thank god you have woken up to yourself and now gotten yourself into a real car. :Chuckle2: 

Congratulations on the new family member.

Look forward to seeing some photos of it.   I think you may not get much sleep tonight......  

48 minutes ago, Niko said:

Welcome aboard MSH, thank god you have woken up to yourself and now gotten yourself into a real car. :Chuckle2: 

Congratulations on the new family member.

Look forward to seeing some photos of it.   I think you may not get much sleep tonight......  

Thanks Niko

Will do 

I picked it up today around lunch time.  The hand over was really first class and very informative. I really love the leather/ sport tex seats with the 18 way adjustment and it's really comfy.  I'll just run it in gingerly for the first 2000km which i do each time.  Then take it up from there.  

One thing i can't work out is on the driver's and passenger doors there is a red light which doesn't come on?  Its at the bottom of the door card. Is that normal?

Also with the rear fog lights (not that i use them) although there is provision for 2 lights in the rear bumper, only one comes on?  Is that normal too (depending if you have L/R driving selected in the MFD)?

Lots of things to learn as this is my first Porsche and don't regret it one bit.  I'm in love.  

28 minutes ago, MSH said:

I picked it up today around lunch time.  The hand over was really first class and very informative. I really love the leather/ sport tex seats with the 18 way adjustment and it's really comfy.  I'll just run it in gingerly for the first 2000km which i do each time.  Then take it up from there.  

Congratulations on your new car. In my experience I’ve found new Porsches don’t fully run in until about 5-7,000klmns. I would suggest the thrash should not occur until 3-4,000klmns. Vary the load & revs across the range up to the 3-4,000klmn point. You can’t do any damage taking too long to run the car in but you can certainly  stuff it up if you don’t run it in properly. Happy to stand corrected by those with more expertise. My experience only relates to 6 cyl cars, 5 off.

29 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Congratulations on your new car. In my experience I’ve found new Porsches don’t fully run in until about 5-7,000klmns. I would suggest the thrash should not occur until 3-4,000klmns. Vary the load & revs across the range up to the 3-4,000klmn point. You can’t do any damage taking too long to run the car in but you can certainly  stuff it up if you don’t run it in properly. Happy to stand corrected by those with more expertise. My experience only relates to 6 cyl cars, 5 off.

Thank you.

Tonight i have been reading the Owners Manual, and thanks for the pointers.  The 2000 km reference was from the sales person, and the manual states 3000, and happy to take it lightly until that point that you mention, so thanks.  I don't have the intention to track the car either.  The manual also says not to take it above 4000 revs.  I think i rarely in previous cars go above 3500 rpm lol.  

2 minutes ago, MSH said:

Thank you.

Tonight i have been reading the Owners Manual, and thanks for the pointers.  The 2000 km reference was from the sales person, and the manual states 3000, and happy to take it lightly until that point that you mention, so thanks.  I don't have the intention to track the car either.  The manual also says not to take it above 4000 revs.  I think i rarely in previous cars go above 3500 rpm lol.  

Sorry, the other end of that is once run in, you should exercise the car across the full rev range. You will find the car revs more freely & performs as intended, these cars are meant to stretch their legs. I talked to one of the Porsche mechanics on a Targa Tas tour (pre speed limited tours) about what gear I should use & revs etc, his advice was these things will run at 5-6,500rpm all day every day.

12 hours ago, MSH said:

One thing i can't work out is on the driver's and passenger doors there is a red light which doesn't come on?  Its at the bottom of the door card. Is that normal?

Also with the rear fog lights (not that i use them) although there is provision for 2 lights in the rear bumper, only one comes on?  Is that normal too (depending if you have L/R driving selected in the MFD)?

Lots of things to learn as this is my first Porsche and don't regret it one bit.  I'm in love.  

Congrats on the new P car.

on the lights.  The red light on the door card might only come on when the headlights are on so when you open the door it can be seen from behind, check if that happens as I’m sure this was the case with my Macan.

Again with the fog lights, I expect it’s about being seen and depending which country you are driving in it would be the drivers side that would be selected so passing traffic can see the outer point of the car. So for us the rh side light. Certainly please correct me if wrong as I’m taking a common sense punt on the fog light.

11 hours ago, Tips said:

Congrats on the new P car.

on the lights.  The red light on the door card might only come on when the headlights are on so when you open the door it can be seen from behind, check if that happens as I’m sure this was the case with my Macan.

Again with the fog lights, I expect it’s about being seen and depending which country you are driving in it would be the drivers side that would be selected so passing traffic can see the outer point of the car. So for us the rh side light. Certainly please correct me if wrong as I’m taking a common sense punt on the fog light.

Thank you Tips.  I put in a Q with the sales person.  Will let you know.  Funnily enough i was washing my E-Class today and that also has the red door "lights" but they came on.  So will find out soon enough.  Maybe it only works if you have the folding mirrors with courtesy lights?  I hope that's not the case. 

22 hours ago, GC9911 said:

Sorry, the other end of that is once run in, you should exercise the car across the full rev range. You will find the car revs more freely & performs as intended, these cars are meant to stretch their legs. I talked to one of the Porsche mechanics on a Targa Tas tour (pre speed limited tours) about what gear I should use & revs etc, his advice was these things will run at 5-6,500rpm all day every day.

Thank you GC.  That's amazing really isn't it: all day, every day for 5-6,500 rpm. 

This week I'll look in to getting some wheel cleaner too.  These 20" Carerra S wheels are going to be the easiest wheels to wash ever.

The other question i'll try to find out is, can you retrofit the folding mirrors with courtesy lighting?

The MY20 gives you the option to retro fit the sports tail pipes in either black or silver.  The Boxster has the square exhaust tip, but the MY20 gives you standard sports exhaust system, so all the 'other bits' are there.

I had some further help in answering some of my questions today:

- So in the door they are reflectors and not lights - so that answers why they don't come on 

- The external folding mirrors with lights can't be retrofitted as it needs a special control module which is added when built in the factory 

- And the fog light comes on only on one side and there is provision for two, depending on the L/R market where it is sold 

So far it’s going quite well.  I just have to get used to the coasting function, especially when I’m turning the corner slowly.  There is a different technique with driving a Boxster.  For example, when I’m slowing to go in to my driveway - it’s a normal suburban one, and i have to slow so i dont scrape it and then the engine turns off, so now i have worked out how to place my foot on the brake accordingly so it doesn’t cut out.

Now I’m wondering if I can retrofit coloured seat belts - has anyone done this?  

I will save and get the twin tail pipes however as a present to myself. 

12 hours ago, MSH said:

So far it’s going quite well.  I just have to get used to the coasting function, especially when I’m turning the corner slowly.  There is a different technique with driving a Boxster.  For example, when I’m slowing to go in to my driveway - it’s a normal suburban one, and i have to slow so i dont scrape it and then the engine turns off, so now i have worked out how to place my foot on the brake accordingly so it doesn’t cut out.

Now I’m wondering if I can retrofit coloured seat belts - has anyone done this?  

I will save and get the twin tail pipes however as a present to myself. 

Drive it in Sport Mode all the time and the engine will not cut out, or just turn off the stop start function.  You should have ticked that option (seat belts) when buying.  My advice is leave it as is unless Porsche can fit them at the first service.  I guess you also did not tick the Sports Exhaust Option either hence the twin pipes upgrade.  Again ask your friendly Porsche dealer at the first service.  Little things like that can void a warranty.  Even better go the whole hog and fit a Sports Exhaust.  I believe that you can after market fit the factory Sports Exhaust as all the wiring is there in the console, just not connected up.  I think it is about $6500 fitted.  Another person on this forum has done it with his Boxster but I think that was a 981.

One of the first things the salesman showed my wife when picking up her used 2013 981 was how to permanently set the stop /start function to off  🙂 (pity I can't do that in my Touareg 😞 ).

Perhaps 981 doesn't have the coasting function???  I just use the downshift  on the paddles to slow down for corners ....

29 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

One of the first things the salesman showed my wife when picking up her used 2013 981 was how to permanently set the stop /start function to off  🙂 (pity I can't do that in my Touareg 😞 ).

Perhaps 981 doesn't have the coasting function???  I just use the downshift  on the paddles to slow down for corners ....

I have a 981S with PDK and Sports Chrono.  The car coasts when in start up mode (including stop start function).  When I switch to Sport mode it no longer coasts it holds the gear on down hill and stop start function turns off.  I usually switch to Sport mode as soon as oil temp is nice and warm or if I am in congested traffic (which is rare because of the times when I drive it and places where I drive it).  Sport mode opens the exhaust valve too which makes everything just perfect.

Also what is the procedure to permanently turn off the stop start function.  I may want to do this.

1 minute ago, Lucky Phil said:

I have a 981S with PDK and Sports Chrono.  The car coasts when in start up mode (including stop start function).  When I switch to Sport mode it no longer coasts it holds the gear on down hill and stop start function turns off.  I usually switch to Sport mode as soon as oil temp is nice and warm or if I am in congested traffic (which is rare because of the times when I drive it and places where I drive it).  Sport mode opens the exhaust valve too which makes everything just perfect.

OK, we have sports chrono too, but not PSE.  Got to admit we usually just leave the thing in normal mode.  Lazy  (but Mrs is often in car too) and she doesn't see the need.......

@TwoHeadsTas Get her to try sport next time and stay in the mode for a while.  It is a sweeter more responsive mode and does not coast which I find pretty dull.  Once used for a while she will only occasionally go back to normal mode, as the car is more fun to drive and she will love the down changes when approaching intersections and traffic lights.

7 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Drive it in Sport Mode all the time and the engine will not cut out, or just turn off the stop start function.  You should have ticked that option (seat belts) when buying.  My advice is leave it as is unless Porsche can fit them at the first service.  I guess you also did not tick the Sports Exhaust Option either hence the twin pipes upgrade.  Again ask your friendly Porsche dealer at the first service.  Little things like that can void a warranty.  Even better go the whole hog and fit a Sports Exhaust.  I believe that you can after market fit the factory Sports Exhaust as all the wiring is there in the console, just not connected up.  I think it is about $6500 fitted.  Another person on this forum has done it with his Boxster but I think that was a 981.

Thanks Lucky Phil

Unfortunately I, personally didn’t ‘tick’ any options - the car was built by the dealer, and it had just arrived in their holding yard off the boat 1 day before i enquired so being that it was the colour i liked and 95% of options i wanted, it was fate. 

I appreciate that if i ordered a car, i definitely would have only added coloured belts, and adaptive cruise solely for the AEB, but i'm glad to have 20" carerra S wheels, lane keep assist, entry and drive, leather and sport tex interior, darkened front lights, PDK and the colour i was wanting. 

It didn't have sports chrono - but i wouldn't have optioned that anyway.  I don't care for launch control and i'm not going to track the car.  I have the sport button that would have been the same as the dial. But alas no lovely clock, or the other modes. 

The MY20 that i have, the factory sport exhaust now standard which was a ~$5000 option before.  So i have the button.  It doesn’t however give you the sports tailpipes, which i now understand i can add.  It’s more of an aesthetic but all of the other hardware bits are already there the friendly sales guy advised. 

I will also try the auto start stop / sport mode - thanks guys.  Appreciate your help and guidance.