Cheetah AF2

A few years ago I discovered the Cheetah marque by chance when a colleague mentioned one that may be for sale in the same warehouse where he stores one of his cars... That one needed a lot to get it back racing therefore kept it in mind but didn't make an offer. It did though pique my interest in these particular historic open wheelers as they were made here in Melbourne through the 70's and 80's and kept my eyes and ears open.

https://www.oldracingcars.com/marques/cheetah/aus/

Just last week on the Cheetah FB page, a fully restored MK6 Australian Formula 2 car (62-13) was listed for sale locally. As the restoration was back in the 90's-00's, it will need a full going over and replace anything that may have perished but is otherwise immaculate! So I spoke to the owner and spent a few hours last weekend looking at it and all the relevant documents making an offer the next day. End result is I am the new owner!

48880010227_564d8ed014_c.jpg

48873259567_c2b36755c7_c.jpg

48879284018_7d6ea17a60_c.jpg

Thanks guys. Looking forward to driving it. I do expect it to be sensory overload!

Any photos of your Ralt @Jason A ? I was seriously considering a Ralt before this showed up for sale!

I've already started the process of filling in the documentation so I can get the Certificate of Definition to be able to race it in Historic events next year... Car was last raced in 88 and then sat in the previous owners garage till now!

Now that looks like fun! Love open wheelers.

I drove Steve Cramps 'Just Jeans' Formula Holden at Mallala the week after we won at the first Melbourne F1 GP. Steve had us there just for a systems check, then says "Right, who wants a go?" As I was racing Karts at the time, I jumped at the chance. Steve wanted me to cough up $5000 for a test day, as I did ok apparently, but that was a LOT of cash for me back then. Still is really 😂 A mate in NSW recently bought Frank William's Brabham BT26 which he is hoping to race soon. I'd love a crack at that too! 

Nice one fella. I'm sure you'll enjoy it

6 hours ago, Dalai said:

Thanks guys. Looking forward to driving it. I do expect it to be sensory overload!

Any photos of your Ralt @Jason A ? I was seriously considering a Ralt before this showed up for sale!

I've already started the process of filling in the documentation so I can get the Certificate of Definition to be able to race it in Historic events next year... Car was last raced in 88 and then sat in the previous owners garage till now!

Here it is back in the day

6D0BA34D-375F-4FB6-8BB1-3E22B9B4CDC9.jpeg

5 hours ago, Jason A said:

Hi @Lee yes spot on, AGP support race. The car started dead last and won the race. David Brabham was the driver

The corner is a no brainer for me, as I was always there...usually blind as a bat 😁 They were bloody good support races back then. 

10 hours ago, Dalai said:

Driving the Formula Holden would have been an amazing experience @LeeM!

It was mate. Though to be very honest, it did just feel like a bloody big go kart to me. It's a very similar feeling, just a helluva lot faster! Told Steve it lacked front grip at the Northern Hairpin which he agreed with (I spun it there on the first lap), yet he wasnt about to change the wing to suit this lead foot idiot with thousands of dollars worth of race car. I'd love to have had a full day in it

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2019 at 08:05, Harold996tt said:

A one man show this car. Have started reading up about it. Very cool. 

60th anniversary next year for Cheetah's too! Brian Shead made his first cars for himself and a few friends. When interest grew orders came in so he quit his job and started making the cars by himself in his backyard shed in Mordialloc.He had a pretty good racing career driving his cars too!

My car was restored by Brian back in the 90's so I know it was done right! He is still around too though is getting on and is unwell, so really want to meet him sooner than later. Same with the original owner of my car Chris Hocking. I was told that he was here at Sandown historics this weekend but unfortunately haven't been able to cross paths yet.