Recommendation for sporty tyres in 18"

Rob H

I have a manual 986S, with 18" Porsche Design 10 spoke rims, same as you see occasionally on a 996.

The 8 1/2' and 7"rims are fitted with Hankook 265/35/R18 and 225/40R/18 tyres that are great for high mileage.

I am after some grippy tyres and was thinking of Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

Any comments on these, or a suitable alternative. Use is commuting, spirited hills driving, occasional Hillclimb and MK.

13 hours ago, Rob H said:

I have a manual 986S, with 18" Porsche Design 10 spoke rims, same as you see occasionally on a 996.

The 8 1/2' and 7"rims are fitted with Hankook 265/35/R18 and 225/40R/18 tyres that are great for high mileage.

I am after some grippy tyres and was thinking of Yokohama Advan Neova AD08.

Any comments on these, or a suitable alternative. Use is commuting, spirited hills driving, occasional Hillclimb and MK.

Just use forum search - Tyres 

For me, it depends on the ratio of time you'd spend in commuting, spirited driving vs more hardcore hill climb. I'm getting to old to carry a second set of focused track tyres.

I like reading tirerack.com consumer reviews.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/reviews/MenuServlet?search=surveyComments

AD08R are a great "extreme performance summer" tyre and it's up there in the list. I ran them on my previous cars and loved the confidence in the dry! You do give up wet grip but on normal roads where you're not trying to max your speed, it shouldn't be a big issue

Next category is the "max performance summer" - the balance shifts  towards wet grip & increased comfort while still having great performance. I'm 90% daily with spirited driving so I went with Michelin PS4S, which still feel pretty good with  3-4 laps of light track work. Only downside is that I do find the sidewall feels a bit soft but its splitting hairs :)

Thanks 2HTas, 9fan & Euge for your advice and the "Tyre" search was worthwhile for sure.

Went for a long drive through the hills today, good thing the car is so balanced, cos the tyres are shite.

Next idea is to get advice from Dominic at North Tce Tyres, to add to the mix.

I have run a set of AD08 on a 968CS I have. I found them to be very noisy on the road, but gripped VERY well in the dry. In the wet a good set of road tyres would have slightly better grip than the AD08's. The ware rate was excellent.

I ran about 4 sprints with the AD08's & found them to be a good compromise, they were about 1.5seconds slower than a A050 around Wakefield

I have now bought a second set of wheels for the track & run a set of A050's

For the road I am running a set of Yokohama V105's & find them to an excellent road tyre in all conditions & a LOT quiter

• 1 month later...