Front control arm bushings

Merv

My next objective with the ‘88.  Is to renew the front control arm bushings and the lower ball joint.  All are original and deserve a refresh.  I have done these in several other 911s and know the fitting and indexing processes.

In the past I have used the Elephant Racing bushings but was wondering what other members have used?

I bought a set of bushes, plus swaybar bushes, from Autohaus.  Haven't bought the ball joints yet, and haven't fitted the bushes as yet.  Super-Pro in Queensland make them as well.  Theirs are urethane, whereas the ones I bought are rubber.

This has already been discussed here In Air Cooled 911s

911 SC Suspension - Time for a refresh

May help.

I have a set of Autohaus rubber bushings.  James said they were slightly firmer than factory rubber.  With country roads being what they are I thought it would be the most forgiving and for the price, worth trying.  Also have new balljoints, strut top rubbers and torsion bar rubbers on the shelf waiting for motivation.

I would be interested in the indexing process if you would like to share.

Thanks OZ.  I just spoke with James and his seem on the money.  Are they URO or another aftermarket version?  I have done the indexing quite few times on others cars and will post.  There is also a nice video on the Elephant racing 'site on the topic.  Key is getting the arm perfectly level in the first place.

3 hours ago, Merv said:

I can see the aftermarket URO ones, but they may not be the quality item.

If they are anything like the URO rear spring bushes I bought a few years ago, they will be woeful.  I think I had to replace them within a few months.  James subsequently supplied very satisfactory replacements at a good price.

37 minutes ago, Merv said:

Thanks OZ.  I just spoke with James and his seem on the money.  Are they URO or another aftermarket version?  I have done the indexing quite few times on others cars and will post.  There is also a nice video on the Elephant racing 'site on the topic.  Key is getting the arm perfectly level in the first place.

Thanks Merv, I have watched that video a few times, just thought there may be more to it.

The brand is Prekom, the serial no. is PR05030P.  Here is the site:  https://prekom.si/

No, the indexing is pretty straight forward with a proper angle gauge and level. And a very long clamp.

Thanks Peter.  I have had one experience with the URO bushings and never again.  The Prekom products look good stuff.  Can't see any prices.  I have asked James at Autohaus who the makers of his bushings are.  That serial number seems to be for 914's?  Is it the same for the last series of the 911's?

8 hours ago, Merv said:

No, the indexing is pretty straight forward with a proper angle gauge and level. And a very long clamp.

Thanks Peter.  I have had one experience with the URO bushings and never again.  The Prekom products look good stuff.  Can't see any prices.  I have asked James at Autohaus who the makers of his bushings are.  That serial number seems to be for 914's?  Is it the same for the last series of the 911's?

I checked the website, same serial number.  These are 85 on the shore scale.

Have a long pipe clamp, angle gauge (iPhone app)...just need motivation and time.

SHORE HARDNESS SCALES

Shore Hardness Scales

Probably similar to the ER ones which I have liked before.  James at Autohaus has the Prekom ones for $100.  Sound like a good deal. There are many suggestions that the current OEM ones and even some ER ones have the Prekom logo on them, as do Rennline. 😧