996 Mk1 GT3

GT3LOUI

Anyone see the article in October's Wheels magazine?

Actually bought it for the Taycan article, but was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across a 5 page write up on the 996 Mk1 Gt3. 

In its 20th anniversary year, I guess they were trying to show the contrast to the technical tour de force that is the taycan.

Quoting it is a modern classic and stating ' Its true genius is more evident now than when  this hero rolled out in 1999' 

and

'If anything, the 996 gt3 feels more special now than it did when it first appeared. It was launched into a tiny temporal window where an old school approach to driver assistance met with a modern feeling engine and tyre combination. We just didn't know it at the time. With hindsight it's easy to see why the original more than deserves its place in Porsche Canon of greats.

Great to see some very complimentary commentary and that it's starting to attract the recognition as a landmark car that it richly deserves. 

Needless to say that as a current owner, I unopologetically hold the same opinion :

On 19/10/2019 at 09:05, GT3LOUI said:

Actually bought it for the Taycan article, but was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across a 5 page write up on the 996 Mk1 Gt3. 

In its 20th anniversary year, I guess they were trying to show the contrast to the technical tour de force that is the taycan.

Quoting it is a modern classic and stating ' Its true genius is more evident now than when  this hero rolled out in 1999' 

and

'If anything, the 996 gt3 feels more special now than it did when it first appeared. It was launched into a tiny temporal window where an old school approach to driver assistance met with a modern feeling engine and tyre combination. We just didn't know it at the time. With hindsight it's easy to see why the original more than deserves its place in Porsche Canon of greats.

Great to see some very complimentary commentary and that it's starting to attract the recognition as a landmark car that it richly deserves. 

Needless to say that as a current owner, I unopologetically hold the same opinion :

I’ve got a few GT Porsche’s.  

My ‘99 Touring is the best.  No Nanny State here ....

If anything, the 996 gt3 feels more special now than it did when it first appeared. It was launched into a tiny temporal window where an old school approach to driver assistance met with a modern feeling engine and tyre combination. 

Nails it. 

As a 996 GT3 RS owner, I am sorry if I take an opposing view here.

It is indeed a very good car to drive, and as a result, it is one of my favourite cars....but....of all the Porsches I own it is the least reliable and the most expensive to maintain. Being designed and built during a problematic time in Porsches history, quality seems to have gone out the window.

The doors no longer close with the traditional clunk...instead they rattle. The dashboard plastics look and feel like they came out of a Daewoo. They easily scratch and often fall off. The panel fit on nearly every 996 I have looked at over the last 10 years has been poor. I don't know of one owner of a regular 996 who has not had expensive engine issues.There are numerous rattles and squeaks inside the car whereas my 964 and 997 still feel as tight as the day they were built. 

So my while 996 GT3 RS is a special car to drive...I have to say that sadly Porsche dropped the quality ball with this model..

FYI, I am actually attending a 996 Breakfast event this coming Sunday organised by a good friend of mine, Lee Sibley, editor Total911 magazine.

Lee is a real 996 fan having just gone through the process of getting his 996 stripped and repainted Irish Green. There is a good video on the car on Youtube. He is expecting between 30-50 996s to turn up. Should be interesting swapping war stories with so many owners over a plate of fried eggs.

IMG_5198.jpg

2 hours ago, WGA said:

I don't know of one owner of a regular 996 who has not had expensive engine issues.

Interesting you say this given the extensive motorsport use of the engine. History would suggest that its one of the most successful modern mechanical platforms any manufacturer has ever produced. 

Admittedly they are basic cars, much more so than a 997 or the 991 especially when it comes to the interior. Funnily enough, that's one of the many reasons why I like them - they have much more in common with the simplicity of an early 911 that the later model cars.

I don't think that there are any 911's that are immune from some level of criticism but in the end some just manage to get under your skin more than others. I'll admit I appreciated the 996.1 GT3 enough to buy one but I didn't expect it to grow on me as much as it has. One of the most rewarding GT cars Porsche has ever made and it continues to appreciate as time goes on. 

7 minutes ago, hugh said:

Interesting you say this given the extensive motorsport use of the engine. History would suggest that its one of the most successful modern mechanical platforms any manufacturer has ever produced. 

Admittedly they are basic cars, much more so than a 997 or the 991 especially when it comes to the interior. Funnily enough, that's one of the many reasons why I like them - they have much more in common with the simplicity of an early 911 that the later model cars.

I don't think that there are any 911's that are immune from some level of criticism but in the end some just manage to get under your skin more than others. I'll admit I appreciated the 996.1 GT3 enough to buy one but I didn't expect it to grow on me as much as it has. One of the most rewarding GT cars Porsche has ever made and it continues to appreciate as time goes on. 

Yes, engine wise, the 996 GT cars are whole different world to the regular 996s. Having a Mezger engine, they are much more reliable. Rather, I was taking a contrarian view to the Wheels magazine regards the regular 996s. But even with the GT cars, there is no getting away from the poor quality of the interiors and the overall build quality. Next to my 964 its a tin can.

3 hours ago, WGA said:

As a 996 GT3 RS owner, I am sorry if I take an opposing view here.

It is indeed a very good car to drive, and as a result, it is one of my favourite cars....but....of all the Porsches I own it is the least reliable and the most expensive to maintain. Being designed and built during a problematic time in Porsches history, quality seems to have gone out the window.

The doors no longer close with the traditional clunk...instead they rattle. The dashboard plastics look and feel like they came out of a Daewoo. They easily scratch and often fall off. The panel fit on nearly every 996 I have looked at over the last 10 years has been poor. I don't know of one owner of a regular 996 who has not had expensive engine issues.There are numerous rattles and squeaks inside the car whereas my 964 and 997 still feel as tight as the day they were built. 

So my while 996 GT3 RS is a special car to drive...I have to say that sadly Porsche dropped the quality ball with this model..

Sounds like a lemon.

Sell it.

36 minutes ago, WGA said:

Yes, engine wise, the 996 GT cars are whole different world to the regular 996s. Having a Mezger engine, they are much more reliable. Rather, I was taking a contrarian view to the Wheels magazine regards the regular 996s. But even with the GT cars, there is no getting away from the poor quality of the interiors and the overall build quality. Next to my 964 its a tin can.

I think wheels was only talking about the 996 gt3. As for quality they definitely didn't hold up to the air cooled cars in terms of build....

but as a driving experience where it really counts... as a gap between the air cooled and water cooled cars.... They created an amazing gap that will in time be recognised as a drivers nirvana. And price wise for the non RS cars they are an amazing car. Admittedly the RS is unfortunately not necessarily three times better than the base GT3 and as a result may not shine so much. But as a proposition for someone looking to purchase a truly analog car with more performance, very few cars in the price range of a standard gen 1 gt3 can hold a candle to it. 

I must have gotten lucky.... might is as tight as a drum, no squeaks, rattles, no issues.... door closing has the same 'thunk' as my old '85 Carrera

Maybe Heinz, Gunther and Hans had not been out drinking steins of beer the night before, and were having a good day on the production line the day mine rolled down? .... :)

(Disclaimer:  Apologies for total stereo-typing of the German folk here!)

Definitely a bit of a cheap-arse interior, but I agree with @hugh, that is part of the charm, after getting out of a daily drive that looks like a fighter pilot cabin.

3 hours ago, Rick V said:

Definitely a bit of a cheap-arse interior, but I agree with @hugh, that is part of the charm, after getting out of a daily drive that looks like a fighter pilot cabin.

I found that at some point in time it really flipped for me. I went from finding the 996 interior just dated to really nicely retro. Not really sure why, just one day I peered inside the window of one and instead of seeing an AU taxi, I saw a simple, old school, retro cool interior that I really liked.

The lack of "technology" helps here I think. In a ten year old car you wonder why the sat nav is so small, the graphics on everything is terrible and if you find a USB port, it just reminds you there's no CarPlay to listen to your favourite PodCast anyway... Not in the 996, none of it sucks, because none of it exists... 🤣

and

GT3L - can you post a photo of the cover?  I had a look at an October Wheels but no Porsche stuff at all, and it said something about "collection" I think - may have been a parallel issue or something

thanks

3 hours ago, GT3LOUI said:

Looks like an import and has been mucked around a bit with.... 

Two heads, I'll attach a photo of the cover soon... 

I think 125k is on the money for AUS delivered as that is what similar cars have changed hands for more recently, so as an import how should that reflect in the price do you think.?  

5 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Thanks!!  I think I've missed out though, even though it was October issue  they get recalled or returned mid month, so November's out now I think 😞   Will have to see if I can score one via FB Buy & Sell...

I’ve got a copy here somewhere I can send you, good for it to be stored with a Mk1. If I ever buy one you have to promise to send it back though 😂

17 minutes ago, JWM said:

I’ve got a copy here somewhere I can send you, good for it to be stored with a Mk1. If I ever buy one you have to promise to send it back though 😂

Thanks!!  Will see what FB Buy & Sell turns up locally, if nothing I'll take you up on your offer!!

10 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Thanks!!  Will see what FB Buy & Sell turns up locally, if nothing I'll take you up on your offer!!

No worries. I was just kidding about sending it back btw. Give it three months and I’ll have forgotten I sent it anyway 😂