997 Turbo vs New GTS? And insurance cost?

Hello,

Anyone has experience on both 997 Turbo and the new 2018 911? How do they compare? 

I had the chance to drive a 2018 GTS twin turbo in Germany for a few days. I found it's a superb car when going at high speed. Doing 200kmh plus is comfortable, reasonably quiet, very neutral steering, very good control. Acceleration is linear up to my own top speed of 240kmh (cold weather tyre). Throttle is responsive and no turbo lag. Gear change is instantaneous and smooth almost game-like it makes VW DSG feeling like 30 year old technology. 

My issues with the car is mostly when going at low speed (sub 120kmh). Even with suspension on soft setting, the car is a bit bumpy on less than perfect road. And in super wet weather, I could feel the car wanting to go left and right through the steering wheel. It's not a secure feeling.

But there is a fix on both issues that is to go fast. The faster it goes the smoother the suspension, as well as being more stable in wet. I guess the car is tuned to high speed and made sacrifices elsewhere. 

A couple of other things:

Fuel mileage is extremely good. I averaged just less than 10L per 100k mixed driving. It has auto engine off at traffic lights and it works   relatively unnoticeably. 

The exhaust valve doesn't do much. 5% more throaty. But I don't like how the car sounds anyway so I kept it closed. My wife couldn't even notice the difference.

Suspension setting actually makes a difference. Hard setting enables the car to be turned like go-karts on tight roads. Can't do that with soft setting. 

You can fit 2 suit cases on the back seats (not folded down)..It does require some practice. Front trunk is super deep. My back hurts lifting carton of 'liquid' out of it.

Onto that back pain. I hate the seat. Nice alcantara. But makes my back hurt in less than 20min no matter how I adjust it. But my wife absolutely loves it and thinks it's the most comfortable seat she's ever been on (she's only ever been on Merc E, S and BMW 5). She reckons I'm too scared and nervous of driving this supercar hence strained my back muscles. Oh well she has a point. I'm scared of her screaming whenever I put down my right foot and I do that all the time.

Now the 997. How does it compare? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of getting one here, preferably a turbo as it keeps its value better. I'm especially interested in their low speed (<120kmh) feeling. The GTS is no less a perfect car it just has a different zone than what I want here in Australia.  

And how much would be for insurance, especially for the turbo? Just want a range don't want to go into your personal life etc.. $1000 - $2000? $3000-$5000?  

Cheers

I own a manual 997.1 turbo and have driven a few others including a pdk 991.2 Carrera and 991 gt3 touring. I think the 997 is the most useable and more fun at road speed limits than a gt3 due to the torque. The base 991.2 Carrera didn’t do anything for me. Wasn’t engaging like an older car. I’d expect the gts to be better.

Downsides of the turbo are the exhaust note and floaty suspension (Pasm soft mode. Settles with sport mode). Both issues can be sorted with a couple of mods  

insurance costs are 2-3k per year with mb insurance (I’m late 30s) for a 997tt

7 hours ago, Andy73 said:

Haven't experienced either car but look forward to hearing responses. I'll offer this thought. With Australian speed laws being as draconian as they are, don't expect to be going faster than "low speed" all that often. 

Totally agree. Any base model 911 would suit me well for my usage. I'm thinking about getting the turbo only because it holds value better in my view. Plus there is a little bit of special 'aura' around it. Definitely not for its speed.

1 hour ago, Gas said:

I own a manual 997.1 turbo and have driven a few others including a pdk 991.2 Carrera and 991 gt3 touring. I think the 997 is the most useable and more fun at road speed limits than a gt3 due to the torque. The base 991.2 Carrera didn’t do anything for me. Wasn’t engaging like an older car. I’d expect the gts to be better.

Downsides of the turbo are the exhaust note and floaty suspension (Pasm soft mode. Settles with sport mode). Both issues can be sorted with a couple of mods  

insurance costs are 2-3k per year with mb insurance (I’m late 30s) for a 997tt

Thanks for the info! 

In terms of driver's engagement. Driving the GTS was like playing a video game on easy mode. Goes, stop and turn as you want it to. It was quite fun when I threw it around like a go kart on country road. It definitely steers much quicker and has better front end feel than those front engine cars I've driven.  

My heart always goes to the air cooled models. But the price of a manual 964 or 993 nowadays would be in the same ball park as the 997, not to mention the 930, if you can find one. 

What are you wanting to use the car for? Daily duties or weekender? Transmission is a major consideration, 997 turbo in man are pretty thin on the ground. If PDK then you’ll be limited to a 997.2. 

991 GTS are an amazing car but a 997 turbo is a little more special, hence why they are more scarce on the market.