Race cars with history in Australia

10 hours ago, JND72 said:

Beautiful cars both the 944 and 968!  The rear wing on the 944 is not far removed from the 917 wing, and must look fearsome from inside. Is that the only rear wing of it’s type?

I believe it is the only wing of it's type and wasn't used in competition as it produced to much drag, yes it does look awesome in the rear view mirror !!

5 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

This post is a little off topic but I have a couple of boxes of VHS tapes of pretty all of the Porsche Cup Races from the 90’s.

I want to get them digitised.

Any ideas on how best to do this?

Damn mate. It would be amazing if you could upload them to you tube at that. There used to be places you could go who would convert them for you and you just pay to do it. But not sure if there is still many of these places around locally. 

14 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Expect a very lengthy reply mate. Mark is a well known guru of all things air cooled in Victoria (he'll hate me for that 😁)

Cheers mate... I really look forward to it! 

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

This post is a little off topic but I have a couple of boxes of VHS tapes of pretty all of the Porsche Cup Races from the 90’s.

@Skidmarks I have a cup car that ran from 95 on - David Withers Travel Plan car. Would be great to know if you had anything in your library on the car. It’s only a middle of the pack car, but it was there.

It changed colours in the 964RS shape from Silver, then Mouve (bottom picture) before updating body to 993.  See below 

Last pic is how it looks today

5C93CE16-B606-45AC-B995-84C88C9CAA0E.jpeg

3D4F1539-63B5-4B4D-BB43-E107EB606BF7.jpeg

F86C385A-6077-4850-8DCE-7C8E778FA2E0.jpeg

F28DCCA2-7957-4338-B20A-2BBB81ED9C91.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skidmarks said:

@Skidmarks there’s this place around the corner from work, they have been there for years

http://www.actionreplay.com.au/

6 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

I love the added flares on the guards, would this be road legal?

porsche-911-coupe-red-james-cleary-1200x

Honestly if you did this on and early long hood 911 I dont think anyone would now if it was factory or a modification due to there being such a huge variety of factory cars configured all differently during the early 70,s ,,,to most people it would just be another 911 

On 25/10/2019 at 08:24, craiggt3rs said:

Alan Hamilton's 944 Turbo Cup Car  , only RHD  Cup Car in the world ( built to order for Alan ) . Also fitted with rear wing from 924 Le Mans  GTR prototype that was tested by Jacki Ickx @ Paul Ricard Circuit & GTR doors . Photo's from John Bowe drive for Unique cars Magazine . Sold it back to Alan about 5 years ago then bought it back a couple of years later !

This car is also the 1994 Targa Tasmania outright winner !!

Dewar_120725_8066.jpg

Watched this car compete in the Tassie Targa and saw it gathering dust in a Melbourne workshop just before Craig bought it.

Have a photo of Allan Hamilton driving it at the old Morewell Hill Climb.

4 hours ago, Raven said:

Allan Moffat 934 RSR 

1064335-10151477247390741-2145164321-o.j

740741-10151173832925741-1779088372-o.jp

Allan-Moffat-Porsche-934-Turbo-Sandown-1

I was involved in helping Ross Mathiesen race his 911 NA 3lt in this championship and in one race at Winton Allan Moffat in this car happened to get ahead of him and Ross kept nudging the 934 trying to get past in the corners. after the race he said to Allan "I hope I didn't upset you" with Allan saying "if anything you helped me go faster through the corners".

Ross's car had the front fiber bumper stoved in while Allen's car only had light scratches. "What's it made of" asked Ross as he kicked Allans rear bumper - only to hear the ring of steel.

6 hours ago, Jason A said:

@Skidmarks I have a cup car that ran from 95 on - David Withers Travel Plan car. Would be great to know if you had anything in your library on the car. It’s only a middle of the pack car, but it was there.

It changed colours in the 964RS shape from Silver, then Mouve (bottom picture) before updating body to 993.  See below 

Last pic is how it looks today

I really love these grassroots race cars in the early days of Cup Car racing and how Porsche racing finally morphed into the big ticket game that it is today. 

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Alan Jones 935 

Alan-Jones-Porsche-955-Adelaide-Internat

Loved these races. The big hp and how well these mega machines could take it to the serious Porsches. 

1 hour ago, Harold996tt said:

I really love these grassroots race cars in the early days of Cup Car racing and how Porsche racing finally morphed into the big ticket game that it is today. 

Loved these races. The big hp and how well these mega machines could take it to the serious Porsches. 

Yes there are some serious frankenstein creations in the sports sedan category with some radical engine combo,s and placements always entertaining to watch ...

3 hours ago, 9fan said:

Heard that Alan Moffat was an amazing race driver that did push things a little too far in the eyes of some racers. What was great was that in spite of all the differences they still all got along showing how grass roots it all was back then. 

25 minutes ago, Raven said:

Yes there are some serious frankenstein creations in the sports sedan category with some radical engine combo,s and placements always entertaining to watch ...

Fitzy mentioned how his genuine RSR back in the day had the transmission turned upside down to lower the CG!!! 

8 hours ago, jnr356 said:

this car should be in this thread

an icon

934Porsche.jpg

Where is this car now mate? 

Also whatever happened to Hamiltons maroon 356 that was not only the first rhd 356 ever made but also the very first Porsche to compete in motorsport in Australia? 

45 minutes ago, LeeM said:

So did Rusty French's Skye Sands 935 which @jnr356 worked on

This is what I love about the racing back in the day... It was a time of true innovation at the grass roots level by all where there wasn't the extreme levels of factory support and excessive regulation that began to creep in year on year as the regulatory bodies became more and more guided by business. 

23 minutes ago, Jason A said:

My ex GT40 replica ran a G50 inverted. Just needs a bit more oil to fill than if up the right way

Mate do you know why didn't Porsche just do this from the factory and why wasn't it a more widely done modification?