Buying a 981 Cayman

Aj555

Hi all, 

I'm in the market for a Cayman and noticed that many on them a fairly light on options, probably given the fact they were more expensive compared to comparable Boxsters. 

I'm currently looking at a very low km 2014 base Cayman PDK and with no options other than larger alloys. The car is via private sale and I have been informed by Porsche, that its eligible for an extended warranty renewal. However that will cost me $3,500 on top of the purchase price if I desire a extended warranty - being the lapsed warranty extension cost and a service to bring it up to date ( due the low kms travelled the owner only did a supplementary service and not the full 4 year one)

Obviously there are many opinions as to whether it is worth getting an extended warranty, but to me its like an insurance policy and provides me with piece of mind.

My question is even though its got very low km, how much lower are these cars priced against those with the desirable options (Sports Chrono, Sports exhaust, PASM etc) and extended warranty?

Cheers 

Welcome Aj555,

i assume the car you are looking at is the 2014 model listed in SA with 14,900km for $78.9k - agree the spec is basic albeit the photos are limited so difficult to determine the exact options fitted to this car - my view is these cars are spec sensitive so the 2013 model car for $76.5k in NSW with 19,230km likely represents better value as it includes the same 20” Carrera Classic wheels, Sports Chrono, PSE, sport design steering wheel with proper paddles & white instruments. For me these options are worth having and make for a more desirable package. If the NSW car has been serviced at a Porsche dealer, the warranty can be extended in the same manner/cost as the SA car.

Hi nytelfer,

Thank you, yes, that is the one.

I have obtained more info and the car is very basic, with none of the options you mentioned listed above - I did factor in at some stage installing the sports design wheel and some twin exhaust tips. It also probably explains why it hasn't sold - as it has no options and extended warranty included. I'm sure he has it priced based on km and what a dealer would retail it for.

I agree with you, those options are desirable, and the NSW car does also provide me with a bit of bargaining power on the the local car (I'm in SA) - its a buyers market at the moment. 

You will find a thread from a few months ago on retro fitting the Sport Design steering wheel - it is reasonably expensive but to provide some idea of cost, it is circa US$2000 in North America to supply the steering wheel and the additional column stalk required to control the multi-function display - suggest it is a dealer fitment task as it requires programming and you loose the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel (if currently fitted).

8 hours ago, Aj555 said:

Hi nytelfer,

Thank you, yes, that is the one.

I have obtained more info and the car is very basic, with none of the options you mentioned listed above - I did factor in at some stage installing the sports design wheel and some twin exhaust tips. It also probably explains why it hasn't sold - as it has no options and extended warranty included. I'm sure he has it priced based on km and what a dealer would retail it for.

I agree with you, those options are desirable, and the NSW car does also provide me with a bit of bargaining power on the the local car (I'm in SA) - its a buyers market at the moment. 

Hi Au555, if the NSW.car has what you require and the price is within your budget then why not make an offer the NSW car, why bother bargaining down the SA car that does not fill your requirements. Get an inspection on the NSW car, fly over and drive it home. 
You will be smiling all the way home.

Warren

Warren - I looked at the car and it is in excellent condition, a credit to the owner. I seem to recall that Porsche won't extend the warranty if the tires are 6 years old - they are as made mid 2013 and cracked on the edges...

I think you are correct re NSW car...

3 hours ago, nytelfer said:

You will find a thread from a few months ago on retro fitting the Sport Design steering wheel - it is reasonably expensive but to provide some idea of cost, it is circa US$2000 in North America to supply the steering wheel and the additional column stalk required to control the multi-function display - suggest it is a dealer fitment task as it requires programming and you loose the multifunction buttons on the steering wheel (if currently fitted).

Gotta say the Sport Design is well worth having.  We were lucky that the '13 Boxster my wife liked the colour of had the Sport Design wheel and Sports Chrono.  Personally I reckon these are the 2 must have options.  From my perspective the 19" wheels on our car make it a far more comfortable ride than the 20's.......

I definitely noticed the harder ride on 20's with non adaptive suspension...

Fortunately the SA car has the base wheel with the column mounted wand to change info display. A simple retro fit with the sports design wheel should be straight forward.