Garage hoist / ceiling height question

I know a few of you have car stackers / hoists in suburban properties, just wondering what ceiling heights are desirable if one was considering building a garage to accommodate such an item?

We’re looking to flatten our house and split the block, with one house for us so the double garage needs to be able to take 4 cars (ideally). We’re about to start talking to the local custom builders this week, @DJM ‘s team will be one of them but I’d like to have an idea of the ‘ideal’ height before we get into it. My guess would be 3.5-4m, but this may look a little odd when built...

All ideas greatly appreciated 

Mike

I have a Bendpak clear floor hoist installed in my shed. It stands 3,683mm high, but you will need a little more clearance to be able to stand up the posts, given they have a sizeable footprint for the base. I would think 4m ceiling height would be OK with this type. A floor plate version may require less installed height, but then you would need to ensure the car you are lifting doesn't run into obstacles. If it has a low silhouette, you could be fine with this type and < 3.5m ceiling height. There are so many brands/versions on the market, you will probably find a suitable option

IMG_0140.JPG

Typically, if you have a 2.7 ceiling to your ground floor + a 150mm stepdown to your garage =2850mm. This is pretty standard and totally adequate for a parking hoist. If you can get it higher that’s great but you can get them into standard height garages pending your planning on parking sports cars (low overall heights). If you want to fit the Range Rover under them you’ll need some extra height! 

4 minutes ago, hugh said:

Typically, if you have a 2.7 ceiling to your ground floor + a 150mm stepdown to your garage =2850mm. This is pretty standard and totally adequate for a parking hoist. If you can get it higher that’s great but you can get them into standard height garages pending your planning on parking sports cars (low overall heights). If you want to fit the Range Rover under them you’ll need some extra height! 

Thanks Hugh 👍

Much as I would like them all indoors or undercover, I think the Ranga will be forever outdoors unfortunately. I’d need to take up whatever room is at the front on the first floor as well to get that in 😂

We’re talking normal cars here, Spitfire and Porsche on the top with the Flog and MINI underneath. The ability to stand underneath whatever is on the top to be able to work on it is what got me to the ~3.5m internal height

17 minutes ago, JND72 said:

I have a Bendpak clear floor hoist installed in my shed. It stands 3,683mm high, but you will need a little more clearance to be able to stand up the posts, given they have a sizeable footprint for the base. I would think 4m ceiling height would be OK with this type. A floor plate version may require less installed height, but then you would need to ensure the car you are lifting doesn't run into obstacles. If it has a low silhouette, you could be fine with this type and < 3.5m ceiling height. There are so many brands/versions on the market, you will probably find a suitable option

IMG_0140.JPG

That sir, is a proper shed 😍  I’d build something like that in the country, couldn’t fit it where we are.

Nice Mini, one of those is on the want list 👍

I built a garage to accommodate a 4 post Bendpak and I wanted to make sure I could walk under it without hitting my head.

I had very limited width to work with but could play with the height a little.  I ended up putting a bit more slope down on the drive, have 3m to the facia and made the ceiling open without trusses to allow the roof of the top car to utilise the space.

I did post the results with a few pics in a previous thread:

2 hours ago, Raven said:

3.6 ceiling height with my 2 post ...

man-cave-007.jpg

That’s great, thanks. How do you go with the up and over door? Can it be opened over the top of the car or does the car need to come down a bit? I guess it’s down to the available length of the garage and siting of the 2 poster....

My Tufflift was installed last week. It's not quite ready and I haven't put a car on it yet, but it is in my new garage. When I spoke to Tufflift I told them I had 2x 911's with a nominal height of 1320mm each, and Tufflift recommended 2900mm ceiling height minimum. I think in the end we went for 3200mm just to be safe. The one issue I did have was trying to fit a panel lift door with the hoist. We just couldn't get the maths to work with the rake of the roof so ended up going for a standard roller door. Interestingly B&D wouldn't do a double width roller, so I ended up with Steel-line. Works a treat and fully automated with HomeKit and Siri.

IMG_3701.jpeg

I have my hoist on one side of my garage which has 2.7 eaves and I wish I went at least 3.0. I found a 2 post hoist from Happ that just fits under the eaves, and it is still a huge step up from working on cars on jack stands. That said at my 5'8 I cant' quite get my 911 high enough to stand straight underneath. I can just get my 240z under the 911, but only because they are both low cars.

50 minutes ago, Mike-S said:

That’s great, thanks. How do you go with the up and over door? Can it be opened over the top of the car or does the car need to come down a bit? I guess it’s down to the available length of the garage and siting of the 2 poster....

I can still operated the panel lift door if needed ,,,maximum lift height of hoist is 1.8m and the P car is 1.3m high ,,,it leaves me around 500mm of space on top of car at full lift height as the cars wheels hang down around 150mm ..

My work truck is 1.65m tall and I have to keep the door closed if I go full height on the lift with it ..

The majority of the time I sit on a workshop stool with wheels under the raised car with my toolbox trolley next to me , so I really dont often raise the hoist to full height ,,just depends on what I am doing .

Great thread @Mike-S was going to start a similar one in the next week or so, thanks👍👍

I’m fighting with nth Syd council over 2 off street parking spots across the front on my new place. We have an existing car port so I’m thinking if we can’t get 2 side by side approved, that I replace the current single flat roof carport with a taller pitched roof version with a 4 post hoist. I need a 4 post so the Mrs can park her GLC and still have easy access to the car with the SC on the hoist. @pocketscience I see you have a pitch in the corner did you happen to do the height measurement on the rh wall regarding the wall height and roof pitch to fit a 911 on the top of hoist at full height?

Do you think you will be able to freely walk under the hoist at full height?

also what budget should I consider for the tufflift and keen to have your thoughts on it

38 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Go under its the best thing you will ever do. The most wasted opportunity when building fresh. 

100% agree I like many off us on the site spent decades jacking up cars and lying under them to do work ,,,Purchased the hoist about 5 years ago and wouldn,t go with out one now ,,,just makes things so much easier ,,,best tool in the workshop ,and they really are not that expensive these days $3500 to $4000 gets you a hoist suitable for the DIY mechanic ,,,if your a full time mechanic and using it every day I would go for a pro workshop grade hoist like a Molner ,,but lets be honest a Molner is over kill for us DIY guys ..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am in the planning stages for my new 9m x 7m garage. Originally I was going for a 4.6m eve height with a 15deg pitched roof so I could have a 9m x 3m wide mezzanine on one side. The builder has assured me it would get through council with some tweaking with hard space concerns. I measured up the height and it really is monolithic proportion wise so i have decided to come down to 3.6m eve height. The height of the mezzanine floor is now way smaller but I think the neighbors won't be as pissed and i won't lose as much sun in winter. 

So what brand hoist have people got and has there been any issues or problems with what you have?