My 2005 Cayenne Turbo Project

galumay

I noted the fuel consumption, hoping I can improve that with new plugs and coils - open to any other suggestions. Its a bit better than it looks because of the 6% speedo error with the Mud Terrains. (probably more like 15l per 100km.)

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Great story!!!  Now, will the Cayenne tow the boat????

Easily, but the Troopy with the 6.2L Chev diesel does too, and it already has the trailer brake controller fitted! The Cayenne will probably get to tow the 4.7m tinny hiding in the carport behind the big boat.

Good to see another Porsche going to great use. Love those long road trips! Look forward to seeing more of your adventures in the Cayenne. 

I have completed just over 10,000 kms in my Porsche in just over 8 months of mainly country cruising including a 2500km return trip from Mount Buller via the long way. I am mainly limited to the tarmac where you must be able to get to some amazing spots with the 4wd. Although I did take a wrong turn on one occasion and probably would have appreciated a "no Porsche sports cars allowed sign".  Car ended up looking just like yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Done a bit more work on the pig, she has a nice new set of Denso plugs and Cosmo Racing coils. Took me a couple of hours to do the whole job from start to finish, not bad for the first time! I have no idea how it still ran, the plugs were so old they had about a 5mm gap! Half the coils were cracked.

Took it for a little drive in the deep, soft, end of dry season powder sand, mainly to check it went in and out of low range and could select and deselect the diff locks. All good. I didn't have to walk home either! Went down the test track in Low with centre diff lock, came back thru in high. Its going to take some serious sand to stop this thing!

• 3 weeks later...

Popped out to Gapuwiyak today to do a small job, about 220kms out the track. I am guessing its the first porsche to ever visit the community! Had a small side trip in the bush on the way home for lunch at and a swim. Dodged a buff have a wallow in a big puddle beside the road!

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

IMG_5915.jpg

22 hours ago, galumay said:

Popped out to Gapuwiyak today to do a small job, about 220kms out the track. I am guessing its the first porsche to ever visit the community! Had a small side trip in the bush on the way home for lunch at and a swim. Dodged a buff have a wallow in a big puddle beside the road!

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

IMG_5915.jpg

Great to see the car being used this way Galuway🙂 

Bull Bar (or Buffalo Bar) on the way for the front??

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2019 at 22:05, galumay said:

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5901.jpg

IMG_5904.jpg

IMG_5915.jpg

Love it!  Probably the first Cayenne that fella has seen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't believe I just found this forum! Love reading the story. I decided to go a similar route with my Cayenne as well and slapped on some all terrains. Took it to Kalbarri (WA) and went out to Murchison Station to play with some Landcruisers, Prados and Patrols. 

No problems with rocks, mud and soft sand. This is a very capable 4wd. 

Pre-trip

20200626_145032.thumb.jpg.48b68e9aae357df7546777e575d06823.jpg

Arrived and ready for action

20200627_165115.thumb.jpg.7c2ae788fb2de9f34b6c74dc50987011.jpg

20200629_115903.thumb.jpg.62de642dd80aa8a245cfd4c6191aac09.jpg

20200701_120231.thumb.jpg.be6967af2d3619a552a5185cada7cff2.jpg

20200701_120900.thumb.jpg.42c2dae5d9147cce1c976a5d55f8604d.jpg

20200701_120926.thumb.jpg.9beca740a4eeb11cc0aed421be21486c.jpg

• 2 months later...

Love the story and pictures! I envy you for being able to daily drive such a machine around one of the coolest parts of regional Australia, absolutely epic! 

How has the reliability been since you got it? I'm currently looking to get one for myself and would be keen to hear how yours has fared covering large distances up in the NT. 

They're bullet proof in my view, the Porsche master tech I know who used to wrench on them says the same thing.  I thought I'd killed mine once when it was going down there on a tow truck and he was confident it wouldn't be anything major or terminal.  

Also quite timely based on the thread

On 13/10/2020 at 13:41, 1q2w3e4r said:

They're bullet proof in my view, the Porsche master tech I know who used to wrench on them says the same thing.  I thought I'd killed mine once when it was going down there on a tow truck and he was confident it wouldn't be anything major or terminal.  

Also quite timely based on the thread

I saw your post in another thread and was very impressed! I once blew a coolant line in a BMW 320i and only just made it the 4 or so city blocks to my mechanic before it began to overheat. 

Very timely post by Vin Wiki indeed, I'll have to check it out

• 1 year later...

Evening to all

This is my first post, and now registered and I thought I would add my two cents worth after coming across Gulumay's post via images. It is the only reason I thought I would register. I have also joined the Porsche club, but it would appear they are only interested in the sport club drives.

I understand your passion Gulumay. I recently purchased a 2005 Porsche Cayenne S based on the same dream. It was also based on the passing of my German father in 2020. That is another story.

'I realise it wont have much interest for the Porsche purists, but maybe there is another 'nutter' out there like me who is interested in using a Cayenne as a long range unsealed road cruiser and a serious off road part timer'

Your comment, Gulumay, ''maybe there is another nutter out there' that made me join this forum. That nutter would be me. Happy to share photos and the build I am undertaking. Your in NT and I am in Brisbane Queensland.

Will post photos to share with this community.