Protective Paint Films in Sydney?

edgy

Hello, 

I have to start getting active about having PPF done on the freshly painted 997, I have seen two shops so far, one was Project Wrap as recommended by @itsujack and the other one I visited was Ozi Cozi in Artarmon. 

Heres the thing, both appear to do good work, but one is asking $4200 the other is asking $5500. 

Anyone got feedback on these businesses or others to recommend? I know Ozi Cozi has been around for some years the other is relatively young. 

6 hours ago, edgy said:

one was Project Wrap as recommended by @itsujack 

I can't recommend Project Wrap, but I did have mine wrapped by Project Detail. I have heard Project Wrap are good, but no direct experience.

My other recommendation is to closely inspect a car similar to yours that's been wrapped already by the shop you're considering.. The quality varies very widely even if the prices may be similar...

8 hours ago, edgy said:

Heres the thing, both appear to do good work, but one is asking $4200 the other is asking $5500. 

Kurt if that’s xpel I think the rates are very good as they have really hiked the price in the past 18 months

22 hours ago, edgy said:

Hello, 

I have to start getting active about having PPF done on the freshly painted 997, I have seen two shops so far, one was Project Wrap as recommended by @itsujack and the other one I visited was Ozi Cozi in Artarmon. 

Anyone got feedback on these businesses or others to recommend? I know Ozi Cozi has been around for some years the other is relatively young. 

Talk to @Caverhe had the new Boxster done recently, looks great.

22 hours ago, GC9911 said:

K, I have had Ozi do 3 pcars over the years, did a vgood job, only got one stone chip mark in the film, the other stone broke the windscreen! Targa Tas, speed not quoted.

Thanks G, good to know! 👍 

20 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Are those quotes for the whole car?

Yes entire car

17 hours ago, itsujack said:

I can't recommend Project Wrap, but I did have mine wrapped by Project Detail. I have heard Project Wrap are good, but no direct experience.

My other recommendation is to closely inspect a car similar to yours that's been wrapped already by the shop you're considering.. The quality varies very widely even if the prices may be similar...

Ah shit, I knew there was 2 “project somethings”, project wrap is by my office so kinda convenient, Ozi Cosi is across from the body shop, so also convenient as it’s gotta go back for a final inspection before the wrap goes on. 

I’ll give project detail a call on Monday, thanks J!

Are you settled on a wrap?  Would you (or have you) considered a ceramic type finish?  I'm talking about a fairly high end protective film that is applied by hand.  It tends to give the car a very tough exterior (track work stains no problem and you can then use more aggressive cleaning products that you wouldn't usually apply to paintwork with wax).  These coatings tend to give the paint a 'harder' or 'brighter' type of finish than a wax.  Some people might add a layer of wax or two on top of the ceramic finish to bring in the 'warmth' to the look.  So....totally different to a wrap :)  If you're interested in more I'd be happy to put you onto the one guy in Sydney that I reckon is worth using.  cost will likely be ballpark the same but finish will not look like a wrap.

I’m not convinced on ceramic, I just can’t see how it would be better than a film wrap, which is practically a mechanical barrier/extra layer to the painted surface, and the good jobs I’ve seen like on @itsujack 991 are almost impossible to spot without getting a more detailed look, they really install them quite well these days. 

The paint got really peppered up before, so again, I just can’t see how an application of ceramic would trump the film? 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

I’m not convinced on ceramic, I just can’t see how it would be better than a film wrap, which is practically a mechanical barrier/extra layer to the painted surface, and the good jobs I’ve seen like on @itsujack 991 are almost impossible to spot without getting a more detailed look, they really install them quite well these days. 

The paint got really peppered up before, so again, I just can’t see how an application of ceramic would trump the film? 

I’ve got a ceramic coating (opticoat) on mine. Cost about a third of the pricing you are looking at for a wrap. Repels water well and makes washing easier - even had a bird pop once that peeled off from its own weight. But can’t see it offering the same scratch or chip resistance that a wrap does. So if peppering is your problem I would wrap it

2 hours ago, edgy said:

Not my area of expertise so it's second hand from me.  I've got a few mates that apply coatings & do detailing at a fairly high end and last time I asked them what they'd recommend for a track level of protection - they both said a coating.  Things may have changed or it might have been the way I put the question to them but I recall being surprised myself.  There was no work in it for them (they're in Melbourne) so it was purely professional opinion.  The coatings they were talking about are exactly what you have specified above - a mechanical/extra barrier.  They said if you project a rock at the surface at just the right angle and a large amount of force then you can expect the coating to chip but you'll get a big dent too and the metal will dent before the coating fractures.  I guess the questions comes down to the durability/repulsion abilities of the wrap material versus a coating that goes hard & on that I reckon you'd be best with a direct opinion over my meanderings.  Opticoat seems a popular choice - I've used 'Kamikaze' previously on a road car (as I didn't want the ultra hardness I'd be looking for on a track car).  Cost wise - I don't think there's much difference at the top end of the coatings and in either case you're paying someone to spend at least a day on your car (you're in the nice position of having a good paint base to start with).  Coatings will vary from a '1 year sacrificial layer' to 'track level protection' whereas a wrap is a wrap - right up at that top level of protection right away.

Today I finally got onto Project Detail, and had a good discussion about this. What he recommends is applying the PPF then they actually put a ceramic coating onto the film to give you the best of both worlds. 

I felt like he spent a good amount of time to explain things on the phone, and for the money, it seems he is offering the best solution, so I've got it booked with him. 

Will update it as I am going through it! 

2 hours ago, edgy said:

Today I finally got onto Project Detail, and had a good discussion about this. What he recommends is applying the PPF then they actually put a ceramic coating onto the film to give you the best of both worlds. 

I felt like he spent a good amount of time to explain things on the phone, and for the money, it seems he is offering the best solution, so I've got it booked with him. 

Will update it as I am going through it! 

Yeah, but that's not going to change the price you're selling it to me is it? I still look at the empty space I cleared in the garage for it last time & it's still a vacant space????

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update (for anyone that is interested in the process), I took a trip out with @Robert930 this morning to keep an eye on the progress, as I am always keen to understand these things the best I can.

The car was delivered a couple of weeks ago

IMG_9796.jpg.94101846433a42e35e2d901deb6d498d.jpg

It has since undergone paint correction, although freshly painted, there is always room to improve (a few nibs found etc), the guys at Project Detail really don't leave any stones unturned, and Richard ( the owner ) wanted me to see it prior to/beginning of the film application.

There is a bunch of dismantling and masking (nice stable mate) 

IMG_0118.jpg.e4be0d7947f9ce8632fe227c35fc5be7.jpg

It is hard to tell in the photo, but the bonnet is covered in this image.. 

IMG_0117.jpg.9851f6a95976025d179a6ace427efd2e.jpg

Doors are dismantled right down to allow the PPF edges to be tucked under the seam of the handle 

IMG_0119.jpg.adcc60ee5798fc3eb0c1fc574fdda556.jpg

A film layer has just been put on this door 

IMG_0116.jpg.51e8e5a3bd4793ec3a8ec93f8feacfd0.jpg

I have to admit, I am surprised at how intensive the process is.. in the past, when I had heard of what it costs, I could never understand it... well, it is safe to say I understand it now, only time will tell if I am an advocate of it.. but from what I have seen, it actually improves the depth of colour, and it isn't ceramic coated yet! Cannot wait to see it done... 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it’s all wrapped up (ok shit pun) 😜

I got the car back this afternoon, it’s a very slick job, the film and ceramic coat really give some depth... Richard had some professional photos done also, which is a nice touch! Id definitely recommend Project Detail if you’re considering something similar, they take care of your car and are very detailed, nothing has been too much trouble and the communication was top notch all the way... you can tell he cares. 

52B54066-5889-4D75-89B7-03E9F789C4C6.thumb.jpeg.15557abb393fad72265ad349be255afb.jpeg

EA05A0D4-5F90-4E63-BBE5-354B2133F2B6.thumb.jpeg.f32bf1e6a8e2156084fc77c1cf36ab4d.jpeg

CFD1021D-99B9-4C36-A53F-1938F4326267.thumb.jpeg.b2a171abbba8dfaa699597994b741093.jpeg

63F78121-B4C2-45BE-BEDA-B59439F4FAE6.thumb.jpeg.4eda342512a5d2c01cb77399571d6287.jpeg

26C68F80-CFA0-497B-B9B9-C4643E73D6C0.thumb.jpeg.975ef8784dccff6f92cf719609c394f5.jpeg

00A21A95-B5E0-4B10-A56C-58BAF079AD46.thumb.jpeg.e190aa64364b7a2b422ca314e9b74133.jpeg

FBEC893B-3CB6-4169-9679-9FF56E8BDF66.thumb.jpeg.10743afeebb21262b77c08d182f3d5d6.jpeg