Tyres now

Merv

My tyres look fine but are 10 years old. So the challenge seems to be the rear wheels on the 88 Carrera. 225/50/16.  The fronts are easy 205/55/16. I prefer the Michelin or the Pirelli for ride and grip, but neither have the rear sizes in stock they say.  Any other recommendations? Anyone using Bridgestone with success.?

Currently going through this as well, narrowed it down to(in no particular order):

Bridgestone Potenza RE003 ($680)

Yokohama Fleva V701 ($716)

Continental Premium Contact 2 ($760)

The prices don't reflect various deals (buy 3 get 4 or $100 off when you buy 4 etc) they are just straight off the net.

I have been recommended to buy the RE003, but currently have Conti's on and I really like them, ahh first world problems.

Let us know what you decide maybe I'll follow suit.

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Yes and I know I'm not the only one.

Quite a few positive responses to the RE003's from members here when the topic has come up.

I have Pirelli P Zero Rosso's on my 911 as I'm running 245's on the rear, but am running RE003's on my turbo Forester which gets throw around and am very happy with them too.

22 minutes ago, Peter M said:

The V105 look like they're suitable for us too:

https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-range/tyres/ADVAN Sport V105?type=ADVAN Tyres

Put these on our 981 Boxster 6 months ago.  Work well, quiet and good wet weather tyre.

My car came with Goodyear eagles that are now circa 6yo and a bit heat cycled 😁 so will do a tyre change shortly. Keen to see how the feedback goes as I was a bit clueless on what would be available

My current 3.2 came from Autohaus with a brand new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional's

https://www.goodyear.com.au/goodyear-eagle-f1-directional-5-527342-p?size=1

A run on the top end of the Putty demonstrated they were simply horrible so I replaced them before they had 500km up.  I couldn't even outrun the bikes on the corners.

The guys at the tyre place were surprised I didn't want to take them home with me.   Good riddance was my view.

5 minutes ago, Merv said:

$660 fitted locally.

Is that a 4 for the price of 3 deal?

If not, wait a few weeks and Bridgestone will have them back on special.

Has anyone used Bridgy RE71R ?

Spoke to the Motorsport Tyre supplier at Bathurst and he said he had some rave reviews from Targa Tassie Porsche user and Time Attack competitor. Rated road and track, treadwear 200.

He did say Yoko A050 still the ultimate by a small margin but RE71R priced at $380 in 245/40/18 compared to $600 A050 and good in the wet ! 

19 minutes ago, 9fan said:

Has anyone used Bridgy RE71R ?

Spoke to the Motorsport Tyre supplier at Bathurst and he said he had some rave reviews from Targa Tassie Porsche user and Time Attack competitor. Rated road and track, treadwear 200.

He did say Yoko A050 still the ultimate by a small margin but RE71R priced at $380 in 245/40/18 compared to $600 A050 and good in the wet ! 

Wow, huge price differential, and I think cheaper than good road tyres such as PS2s.  Could be a great choice as a single all round tyre I think.  I will definitely look at a set of these for the GT3 as a road tyre if I get to the stage of road registering it, but after a 2 hour drive on country roads on Sunday (under trade plates) I'm now not so sure I'll even try!!!

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

A run on the top end of the Putty demonstrated they were simply horrible

I hear you Pete my thoughts exactly. A morning at the farm with new suspension soon cooked mine and they are now hard as. I feel every bump and they skate in corners now 🙄

4 hours ago, Peter M said:

Is that a 4 for the price of 3 deal?

If not, wait a few weeks and Bridgestone will have them back on special.

This ^ The 4 for 3 deal comes around all the time, so you won't have to wait long.

On 05/11/2019 at 08:47, Peter M said:

The V105 look like they're suitable for us too:

https://www.yokohama.com.au/our-range/tyres/ADVAN Sport V105?type=ADVAN Tyres

Actually that is what I am using not the 701's. Seem good in wet and quiet but grippy in dry too. They offered me next level up  but reviews stated they took a little while to warm up(not ideal IMO) although faster on the track, but tyre life was shorter so went the advans

On 05/11/2019 at 12:47, 9fan said:

Has anyone used Bridgy RE71R

There is an approx 3 month wait as they are made to order. I think I am almost two months in - Maybe a Christmas present for me? Hopefully!!

They look the same as the Dunlop Direzza (to me anyway) and I expect them to be a step up from the current RE003 

Like you, my research showed good all rounder