Fuel tank refurbishment - Sydney

Lukus

As the title suggests, I’ve searched for posts about where to send a tank for professionally cleaning out any rust and refurbishing but have only found some relating to DIY type efforts. Having sat for 10 or more years, the rust in other areas of the body suggests the tank will likely be needing a good check too. 

I’m not against buying a good second hand tank (assuming it checks out ok, the one ‘74-89 for sale at the moment looks like a decent deal). However, I am wary after reading of people buying them, only to find they don’t quite suit the vehicle they bought it for.

I’d like to at least explore having the original tank tidied up so if anyone knows where to send them for a clean out and coat of stone guard, I’d appreciate some details!

Thanks in advance 👍🏼

I rarely buy parts overseas now as the big sellers engage external packing companies who add their massive profits to the equation and then our stupid government put GST on the total. I refurbish or buy locally wherever possible. Huge gratitude to James Reinhardt at Autohaus Hamilton for his knowledge and support. 

1 hour ago, Merv said:

I rarely buy parts overseas now as the big sellers engage external packing companies who add their massive profits to the equation and then our stupid government put GST on the total. I refurbish or buy locally wherever possible. Huge gratitude to James Reinhardt at Autohaus Hamilton for his knowledge and support. 

Was just discussing this with a mate last night, who had to do a refurb on his 996 GT3 front wheel bearing and carrier.  Import cost was I think about USD$650.  He checked with PCM and price all up incl freight to Tassie was $650!!  Apparently there was a discussion at a recent Oz Porsche club Presidents get together, and they were advised Porsche Aust has had a rethink about parts costing as they started to get concerned about the number of aftermarket parts being imported, and, particularly for 10+ yo models, have revised their pricing significantly lower.  So, this ensures James and dealers are now much more price competitive, so well worth checking for local cost before even considering overseas.....

On 09/11/2019 at 08:31, Merv said:

On 09/11/2019 at 10:14, TwoHeadsTas said:

Was just discussing this with a mate last night, who had to do a refurb on his 996 GT3 front wheel bearing and carrier.  Import cost was I think about USD$650.  He checked with PCM and price all up incl freight to Tassie was $650!!  Apparently there was a discussion at a recent Oz Porsche club Presidents get together, and they were advised Porsche Aust has had a rethink about parts costing as they started to get concerned about the number of aftermarket parts being imported, and, particularly for 10+ yo models, have revised their pricing significantly lower.  So, this ensures James and dealers are now much more price competitive, so well worth checking for local cost before even considering overseas.....

100% agreed. Merv mentioned James at Autohaus, although not genuine Porsche parts, the quote I received for door and window seals for a car I have at the panel shop was some 50% cheaper than the trade price I was quoted by a Porsche dealer. Worth checking for sure.

Hoping for a good outcome from BWA as well!

I recently undertook this on my 3.2 tank- refurb inside & out. Still needs to be painted but I'm pretty pleased with how it came out.

I used KBS Aqua Kleen & Metal Ready (may have names confused with POR15 products) for a thorough clean and prep then their Gold Standard Tank Sealer to coat the inside of the tank. Some will say you can't do this because of the swirl pot in there but so far so good. I reckon it'll last a loooong time.

I used a water based sealer with a cheap schutz gun to patch the body sealer around the seam on the outside of the tank and with a bit of practice you can blend in the texture with the factory finish. Obviously good prep and etching is a good idea. I didn't want or need to strip the whole outside of the tank.

I'll be pulling it out in the new year to paint it & may finish it with a durable clear so I can forget it once & for all. The inside looks amazing and that tank sealer is a top product.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, sus911 said:

What car was it in & where are you? Can’t seem to see any details on my phone. 

Obviously this isn’t a for sale thread so I wasn’t going to say too much. The fuel tank is in Sydney (northern beaches). It’s out of a ‘74 911S.

• 4 months later...