dme relay

brian in buddina

1988 944 S

Well some success, in regards to my "crank no start" thread.

I have a had a few weekends off & out of the garage after missing the Bendemeer/Armidale weekend.

Did testing of the dme relay this morning, and did a 3 wire jumper, bypassing the relay.

Heard the fuel pump going.

Give it a crank & bingo we have ignition!

Looking for a replacement dme relay. The Porsche part number is, as noted on the relay is 933.615.227.00

Is there a generic alternative?

As recommended I will buy a spare.

Brian in buddina

dme1.JPG

dme2.JPG

FFS Brian! Why did you not try this as one of your first attempts! Everyone should be carrying a spare DME in their glovebox. And just buy a genuine one (or two) and don't worry about generics...

Glad you got it going though...😉

22 hours ago, Rob said:

FFS Brian! Why did you not try this as one of your first attempts! Everyone should be carrying a spare DME in their glovebox. And just buy a genuine one (or two) and don't worry about generics...

Glad you got it going though...😉

What he said, Fuch me, i didn't even mention that because i thought that would have been a given that you had checked it already!!

yeah fuche moi @Rob, @TINGY996

I was burnt out, time wise, trying to get things sorted for Bendameer. I was sure it was the speed sensor as the connector had decomposed. Couldn't think of a reason why the relay would die while the car just sitting. 

Live & learn.

Has anyone had any experience with a solid state dme relay?

On 10/11/2019 at 04:23, Zelrik911 said:

Hey Brian, I have a new Solid-State DME Relay from F9T for sale. This has the 'pump prime ' feature.

http://www.ftech9.com/new-products/993-ssr

We are in US, but back home next week.

Does the 'pump prime' make any noticeable difference to starting performance?

@brian in buddina Let me know if you decide to go for a solid state relay. I (and maybe others) would be keen to split postage with you. Alternatively, I have a spare new DME relay I could sell you.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a beta tester for the solid state relay so have been using it for a few years. I had a couple of spare generic relays that didn't work and was a case of third time lucky. Just glad I had a bunch of them. The solid state was well worth it. I didn't go pump prime but all those that did say it helps with a quicker start. Mine starts fine and would highly recommend going this route. If your connectors are  had it, on ref and speed sensor harness get yourself the lindsey racing Dme to ref harness replacements. I had random no starts for a while and jiggled the harness to get her going, till I replaced them. I also ordered the injector harness and although I had never had an issue when inspecting it the connector at injector broke in my hand, so glad I ordered that harness too. Kroon wiring also make a complete under hood new harness if you want to eliminate any issues for years to come but that wasn't around when I did  mine and LR harnesses are working great many years later. With the heat and age of the wiring under our bonnets, especially on turbos, it makes sense to upgrade them all and kiss no  starts good bye

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OzJustin said:

Good advice Tingy. I wasn’t aware Lindsey have full harnesses now. This is good peace of mind for our old cars.

@Jason E Time to order one of these solid state relays in time for Xmas? Any other Brisbane owners keen to order one and share postage?

It's $67.50usd on the website (approx $98aud)  freight is $38.50 usd (56aud).  My DME is only 3 years old & I have a working spare so I'm interested bit it would have to be a stonking good deal on the postage.  I'm sure the Yanks must fly their freight around in gold lined planes to justify the exorbitant freight prices they charge.

4 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Good advice Tingy. I wasn’t aware Lindsey have full harnesses now. This is good peace of mind for our old cars.

@Jason E Time to order one of these solid state relays in time for Xmas? Any other Brisbane owners keen to order one and share postage?

No Justin, Lindsey make separate partial harnesses for injectors, speed and ref and for other sensors.  Kroon harnesses do make a full engine harness for 944's (and other Porsches too), that is arguably better than OEM . When I bought my solid state relay I had to use a freight forwarding service as they didn't ship here, so might be worth looking into that if buy a few together as may make shipping cheaper.

2 hours ago, Jason E said:

It's $67.50usd on the website (approx $98aud)  freight is $38.50 usd (56aud).  My DME is only 3 years old & I have a working spare so I'm interested bit it would have to be a stonking good deal on the postage.  I'm sure the Yanks must fly their freight around in gold lined planes to justify the exorbitant freight prices they charge.

The pump prime version seems to be US$77. Shipping for 3 of them to Brisbane is still US$37 so about AUD$18 each. Worth some consideration if it gets the big 3L lump starting faster.

13 minutes ago, cyberpunky said:

No Justin, Lindsey make separate partial harnesses for injectors, speed and ref and for other sensors.  Kroon harnesses do make a full engine harness for 944's (and other Porsches too), that is arguably better than OEM . When I bought my solid state relay I had to use a freight forwarding service as they didn't ship here, so might be worth looking into that if buy a few together as may make shipping cheaper.

This ‘full’ harness looks pretty comprehensive (noted it doesn’t cover cycling valve)?

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LR-951-HAR-FULL.html

I wasn't aware either about LR full harness and can't see anyone mentioning it, so I assumed you misread my mention of the full kroon harness. Kroon will basically make it specifically for your needs, like RHD, cycling valve delete or add in wiring for other sensors etc. All they do is harnesses for older Porsches and quality is amazing. They even remade the original rubber plug for firewall. The lindsey looks just like it is all there separate harnesses put together in a box and not a complete harness like the Kroon.  Anyway the harnesses are worth replacing especially the ref harness and injector  harness