Throttle Position Sensor

Merv

My throttle position sensor 'should',  if I understand the Bentley correctly, trigger the WOT/Full throttle response?  I can hear the microswitch at the back of the throttle/accelerator lever clicking off idle, but no click noise when the accelerator lever is fully open (WOT).  I checked the continuity across the top two terminals on the TPS and there is none.  I rotated the TPS back and forth and still no continuity.

What are the options?  Remove the TPS and replace it? If so, how does it come off?  If I release the two small screws attaching it, it seems to want to stay on there?

Can these even be repaired? 

A rather esoteric issue I realise but these TPS units are hard to get these days according to James at Autohaus.  I removed the TPS and set it up on the bench with proper connectors and was ready to split it to find out what the problem was.  Beforehand I gave it a good spray out with automotive contact cleaner and then vacuumed it out gently.  Now it works! I get continuity around 80% throttle opening.  Will re-install and test again there.

4 hours ago, Merv said:

So will cut the thing open and see if I can fix the potentiometer inside. 

Merv,

The TPS on a 3.2 is a simple switch with a capacitor across the contacts.  If you can open the case OK - looks like it just clips together - you should be able to clean the contacts.

Alternatively I have the spare that @Uncle gave me from his toolbox a few years ago that you can have......😊

Part no. 944 606 113 01 or Bosch no. 0 280 120 309

Thanks Peter.  This one is solidly glued together and would need the services of a dremel! One below - not mine.

Yes, if Uncle no longer has the one he mentioned I will certainly take you up on that offer of your spare. That is most kind. Will send a PM.

image.png

I pulled the old one apart and had to use a fine hacksaw blade as it had been glued together. Inside, the flexible brass arms needed a little reshaping and some dielectric grease on the shaft that fits over the throttle arm. The continuity point now works on the potentiometer. Reglued it together and its now available as an emergency spare if someone needs one.

• 2 years later...