Respray time

pocketscience

My 901 is in desperate need of some new paint (currently combo of resale red and black undercoat - will be Leaf Green eventually). Autohaus Hamilton recommended Atlas Motor Body Works. I spoke to Pierre yesterday (who owns a 911) and he said they don't do restorations... they do mostly smash repair stuff. Bit conflicted as Autohaus have never led me astray thus far. I'm going to see the guys at Atlas today, but just wondering if any has used them before for a complete respray?

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, pocketscience said:

Ron @ Exclusive Bodyworks says they aren't taking on new projects, and the guys at Atlas never got back to me after saying they'd have a quote in 24hrs... wish I was a painter now as they are obviously all very very rich and don't need any more money... 🙄

sent you a PM

On 04/12/2019 at 12:05, pocketscience said:

Ron @ Exclusive Bodyworks says they aren't taking on new projects, and the guys at Atlas never got back to me after saying they'd have a quote in 24hrs... wish I was a painter now as they are obviously all very very rich and don't need any more money... 🙄

you have to be patient with painters. you have to consider they have been huffing paint fumes every day lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2019 at 13:05, pocketscience said:

the guys at Atlas never got back to me after saying they'd have a quote in 24hrs

That surprises me from my interactions. I was recommended to Pierre by a friend. Saw him the last week pre Xmas to quote a deck lid and front end respray. Dropped in late in the day and had my quote next day and cars booked in for the 20th Jan. Even letting me drop it in a week prior as I’m heading overseas.

Maybe try him directly on phone or email when he returns on the 6th.

A friend had a couple of quotes here in Adelaide for a full repaint of his SC. Sand n paint $25k from one shop who dragged out an ETA when they could do it. Another shop was $30k not including any bodywork that maybe needed. He ended up getting an old SA hot rod guy who moved to Broken Hill to do a full bare metal job and any bodywork included for $15k. Bit of a saving there.

Sadly, the 8 coats of clear didnt harden for some reason, so it's all been bare metalled again and a full colour change...for another $10k

7 hours ago, LeeM said:

A friend had a couple of quotes here in Adelaide for a full repaint of his SC. Sand n paint $25k from one shop who dragged out an ETA when they could do it. Another shop was $30k not including any bodywork that maybe needed. He ended up getting an old SA hot rod guy who moved to Broken Hill to do a full bare metal job and any bodywork included for $15k. Bit of a saving there.

Sadly, the 8 coats of clear didnt harden for some reason, so it's all been bare metalled again and a full colour change...for another $10k

OMG 30k I’m sure that’s the going rate but bloody hell it sounds expensive.

I'm sure its been said before, but if a paint/panel shop is charging out at much less than $150/hr they are probably losing money.

The prep work involved in getting a car ready for paint can vary widely, but even on the best there would be 40 hrs, to more like 100 hrs if there is some metal work to do.

Then you have materials, I know the Glasurit  base coat /clear coat for mine was over $2K trade priced, over and above the epoxy primers and undercoat.

Then you have the time in the booth and the final stages.

For the sort of cars we are discussing, it's a big process.

1 hour ago, MARTY said:

OMG 30k I’m sure that’s the going rate but bloody hell it sounds expensive.

I've heard of much higher quotes on a Porsche, yet those quotes were just for a windows in scratch up and blow over, not a bare metal job with bodywork. My car was around $20k just to repair and paint one side when I stacked it last year. Bodywork was completed within a few days by some highly skilled Porsche repairers who are probably on at least $100/hour, so I imagine the painter did pretty well out of it.

Chris above is right. Quality takes time and skills you and I probably don't have to produce a quality job...unles you're  Chris or Jeff of course 😁

I quoted someone to install a big kitchen yesterday, and he questioned why it's so expensive. $50 per hour for 2 people ($25each) using skills and tools he doesn't possess is expensive? What hourly rate does he pay to have his new Mercedes serviced? You get my drift.

I’m having my front resprayed this month as there is more stone chips than paint in some spots. Last paint job was 20 years and car was driven regularly including regular Canberra Sydney runs. Atlas are stripping the bonnet to bare metal but not the guards and bumper as not too bad shape. It’s just under $4k which I thought was reasonable for the work being undertaken Including removing the guards etc to paint.  It averages out about $105 ph to dissemble, prep and paint. Probably could have found somewhere cheaper but they come Highly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2020 at 16:08, pocketscience said:

Considering I only dropped the car in just before Xmas the guys at Atlas have made good progress already. Pics from yesterday’s visit. 

How did you go price wise with this?  From memory it took a while to get a quote.  Must have been competitive if you went with them?

$10K is crazy cheap. Atlas quote was above that, but inline with others in Sydney I spoke to. I'm more interested in a good job than a cheap one.

(sorry, didn't mean to imply there's anything wrong with the above job - it looks awesome!)

Edited by pocketscience
calrification