Advice Wanted on (Victorian) Buying a Demonstrator Interstate

I'm considering buying a demonstrator from a dealer in NSW. The car's registered in NSW. Does anyone know :

1. How long I can drive it before I must change to a Victorian registration?

2. How is market value calculated when it comes time to pay Victorian Motor Vehicle Duty? Purchase price less an amount of depreciation?

Victoria currently has higher stamp duty than other states (except possibly Qld): 7% if over $100K, 9% over $150K, so the lower the market value the better. The vehicle in question would, arguably, move into the <$150K bracket if held for a few months, potentially saving me a few thousand.

The VicRoads website is generally very good, but doesn't really touch on these two areas. A call to VicRoads didn't produce any definite answers either.

18 minutes ago, andrewb said:

I'm considering buying a demonstrator from a dealer in NSW. The car's registered in NSW. Does anyone know :

1. How long I can drive it before I must change to a Victorian registration?

2. How is market value calculated when it comes time to pay Victorian Motor Vehicle Duty? Purchase price less an amount of depreciation?

Victoria currently has higher stamp duty than other states (except possibly Qld): 7% if over $100K, 9% over $150K, so the lower the market value the better. The vehicle in question would, arguably, move into the <$150K bracket if held for a few months, potentially saving me a few thousand.

The VicRoads website is generally very good, but doesn't really touch on these two areas. A call to VicRoads didn't produce any definite answers either.

Stamp duty on purchase price only . I would be certain without a NSW address you would have to transfer to Vic pretty quickly

If you are buying from a dealer they will most likely cancel the rego before the car leaves their lot if they know it is going interstate (mine was), unless you agree otherwise with them - it is not in their best interests (or any prev owner) for someone else to drive around in a car registered to them.

As @TwoHeadsTas says, I believe most are 14 days.

All of the above ^^

You cannot "transfer" a vehicle to your name unless you have an entity or address to do so in that state (NSW in this case), even if you could, you'd be paying the stamp to that jurisdiction. 

The correct process is as above, de-register the vehicle and go through registration process in VIC RWC-> Rego -> Stamp duty is paid as you initially register it

If this is a Porsche, which Porsche centre is it? If it is one owned by Porsche Cars Australia (i.e. PCSS), you could actually have them assist you with this, by having them put it through PCM or Doncaster for you... if its one of the franchised,  you could always ask as they may be able to still help you facilitate it! Never hurts to ask