Financial Membership

10 minutes ago, Joz said:

Interesting, about the how and why’s people are expected to be financial members.

I not sure if restrictions to non financial members is a positive for forum growth ?

Ive noticed restrictions on picture posting limits  and FS items . I really feel that it may restrict traffic and therefore commercial advertising which would be better revenue.

Dear mods and administration I hope I’m not stepping over the line with my comments, apologies if I have and please delete my post if it is.

But my experience with another forum ( at which I’m a mod) is that it has not only become one of Australia’s largest forum of its type but one of the largest internationally recognised  forums which attracts much more commercial advertising.

ofcouse serial sellers are encouraged to donate, but not compulsory. Traffic and membership is key for advertising.

But with the extra traffic from private sellers comes much more membership, therefore advertising revenue.

Just putting it our there 😊

Hey mate

Firstly, I don't think you're stepping over a line, and your opinions are welcome here.

I'm just a moderator, so I don't know the ins and outs of what direction (if any) admin want it to be, and these are just my personal views as a member without the moderator hat on.

I definitely support members having to be financial if they want to sell anything, the wanted ads, not so much. As you would know it costs money to run the forum, so they need to get some sort of funding to keep the wheels turning.

I'm pretty sure those who started the forum here had no intention of creating a massive global phenomenon, and dare I say they don't need or want that now.  It's big enough now for the demographic its aimed at, and it seems to be gaining more momentum the more members we get, as word of mouth is a powerful tool. I can assure you the regular posters here are a very small portion of how many registered members there actually are. 

Why do members need to be financial? Well apart from what I mentioned above, we receive loads of people just joining the forum to sell a car or parts, and in no way do they contribute in any discussions with any topic. Basically, they try and sell cars here before having to pay Carsales, as wheres the best place to sell a Porsche? Some of them are thinly disguised car yards, but we find that out pretty quickly.

I can't begin to tell you how many dm's I've had from 1 or 2 post members whinging about having to pay $25 for a one YEAR membership, where they can in fact sell anything within that time frame. Try doing that on Carsales! Sure you can post them on Gumtree or Marketplace for free and endure the muppets (business owners included) on there looking for a bargain, then of course flip it for double the money within a couple of weeks, so $25 is bloody good value if you ask me when your target demographic is right here on this forum! 

Do we need thousands more members just to be popular? Not really, as also in my opinion, a big forum creates bigger problems with trying to manage/moderate it, and you NEED the funding a lot more than what we do now (I think). I wouldn't want to see PFA become a Rennsport or Samba (VW/Porsche) behemoth that's for sure

$25 is a nominal amount and I’d say on the whole most members are happy to contribute/pay it forward - no obligation if you don’t see value in it but plenty of us do. 

Alternatively, you could buy 10 Bunnings Snags. It’s actually a tough choice now thinking about it. 

@LeeM 

thankyou for your measured response.

I was hoping you weren’t going to take my comments as a tight arse whinge, thankyou.

im not going to add anymore tonight as I’m still under the influence of the odd red and whiskey 🥃 or three.

But I’ll be back 😊

1 hour ago, Joz said:

@LeeM 

thankyou for your measured response.

I was hoping you weren’t going to take my comments as a tight arse whinge, thankyou.

im not going to add anymore tonight as I’m still under the influence of the odd red and whiskey 🥃 or three.

But I’ll be back 😊

More like my usual ramblings, but you're welcome to whinge away...to a point before you get booted 😁😉

• 5 weeks later...

For many years you could rely on the auto renew which sent an email confirming an invoice was pending and payment came out of your preferred account, never had to worry about it.

That hasn't happened for me over the last few years, like now I just checked and the membership had lapsed.  Went through the store and just paid, changed to Financial Member instantly, not sure why @901er wouldn't be updating in the same way :unsure:

@901er PM'd!

@Stepo We're currently looking into the auto renew function, and some other things, at the moment. We're hoping to come out with a post soon, when we get some concrete answers and a way forward. 

As always, if anyone has a membership issue, make sure to message me directly, or via email. It is the quickest way I'll see your issue and be able to fix it for you :)

Just a friendly note that my PayPal auto renew kicked in recently as it has done for many years, currently listed as a Member.

The only thing I have to sell is a 2008 BMW M3 Manual with carbon roof, so no rush to activate it..  see what I did there ;)

Cheers

17 hours ago, tk111 said:

Just a friendly note that my PayPal auto renew kicked in recently as it has done for many years, currently listed as a Member.

The only thing I have to sell is a 2008 BMW M3 Manual with carbon roof, so no rush to activate it..  see what I did there ;)

Cheers

I see that you did there. I've been in that car and liked it. Hmmm.

As a new 911 owner I know I have greatly benefited from hours of reading through the posts and asking my own questions. Well worth the $25 per annum to help keeping the site running that would have their own costs to maintain. I’m sure I would have burnt much more than $25 on parts or accessories that would have been useless had I not read through the posts and got valuable feedback from members before buying! For what works a little over $2 per month it’s a valuable resource!!! 

6 hours ago, P-Kay said:

have you messaged @Orlando

yes, no reply or update yet. Is there anyone else in charge of approving financial memberships?

Otherwise I might as well list my parts on ebay, marketplace etc but I was hoping to do it here first - but I can't because financial membership status hasn't been updated after 2 weeks  😒

3 minutes ago, slknv said:

yes, no reply or update yet. Is there anyone else in charge of approving financial memberships?

Otherwise I might as well list my parts on ebay, marketplace etc but I was hoping to do it here first - but I can't because financial membership status hasn't been updated after 2 weeks  😒

Post your reciepts with the add mods will understand. 

3 hours ago, Joz said:

So who do I make the cheque out to? 😁
Perhaps my sisters ph no will suffice?😬

Direct bank transfer please. None if this cheque malarkey, as that sounds a bit dodgy mate

Bsb 911-906

Acc 8675309

Name: Jenny Jenny

(got a photo? 😉)