Hardtop for boxster

Eddy

20 hours ago, Eddy said:

hardtop for winter

What is wrong with the soft top? It is well insulated for winter, the 987 cockpit is small and it heats up quite quickly compared to a 4 door sedan or 5 door hatch. Never had an issue with the cold when I DD'd my 987 Boxster S.

On the topic, finding one used is close to impossible unless you wait (what seems like a lifetime) - in the 4 years I owned my 987 Boxster S - I have never seen one for sale locally. But they do come up quite often on Ebay.co.uk. The problem with the ones from the UK is that the sellers always insist on pick up only. They also range in cost between 600 GBP - 1200 GBP. If you factor in shipping and GST,  cost usually comes up to  $3K AUD. 

I don't know the cost of ordering a brand new one from the dealers, but I suspect it will be close to $5K AUD. 

No dispute in what you're saying Apogee, but Hard tops give a different aspect to the Boxster body.  

I personally think they are a great extra, and although I agree that the soft top is well insulated etc, a hardtop just makes the car look better (IMHO) for that 5 or 6 months of the year.

I picked one up for my old 986 and it was brand new, needed a paint job, and the fitting kit, but all up cost just over 3k including painting to match the body by Charlie BATTISTI.

That was some years ago now though, so price may have gone up.   But now it's out there let's see what pops up.

Hard top will also be a good investment for resale.

9 hours ago, Niko said:

No dispute in what you're saying Apogee, but Hard tops give a different aspect to the Boxster body.  

I personally think they are a great extra, and although I agree that the soft top is well insulated etc, a hardtop just makes the car look better (IMHO) for that 5 or 6 months of the year.

I picked one up for my old 986 and it was brand new, needed a paint job, and the fitting kit, but all up cost just over 3k including painting to match the body by Charlie BATTISTI.

That was some years ago now though, so price may have gone up.   But now it's out there let's see what pops up.

Hard top will also be a good investment for resale.

I am sure they do otherwise I wouldn't have looked at getting one. But the problem is getting hold of one at a "reasonable" price - $3K was too much coin for something I didn't really need. Not many 987 hardtops for sale over here, unless the 986 model fits the 987 as well. If I was spending that much on a hardtop, I would get the Zeintec Zeintop hardtop that converts the Boxster into a pseudo Cayman. There are a couple for sale on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-987-Boxster-Cayman-style-Hardtop-for-2005-to-2012/152379039050?hash=item237a7f9d4a:g:rAwAAOSwo4pYaYbX

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-987-Boxster-custom-Z-Art-Cayman-style-Hardtop-revised-2017-OE-seller/223757862126?hash=item34190204ee:g:4j4AAOSwSKtaeyFe

I had a look at those some time back, have to say I'm not a real fan of them.  

The second site has the roof  photographed on a 986 although advertised for a 987.

So maybe they do interchange?????

But I agree with Tomo, might be a fair amount of work and money involved.  

From memory, when I checked them out, they weren't getting good reviews, re the fitting etc but that may have changed now.

Hopefully an original one will pop up somewhere.    Be nice to know if the 986 hard top does fit the 987 though.

• 5 months later...

I bought my first Porsche(987) last December and it happened to come with a hardtop. Id hoped it added value and it would look like it does. The previous owner said as a factory option they added nearly $10,000. I thought I would leave it on after getting the car home, as I also think it gives the car a different look. But of course you have to try it without. And so there it sits in my garage in its Porsche dust cover on the homemade and well thought out wheeled stand for it. I was also trying to put a price on it and will look around to see what the going rate is. If I dont use it for the next year or two I may let it go. The main reason I like the idea of having it was security if it was going to be parked overnight outside away from home. It is very easy to put on and get off but is a two person job.

21 minutes ago, DaveLep said:

I bought my first Porsche(987) last December and it happened to come with a hardtop. Id hoped it added value and it would look like it does. The previous owner said as a factory option they added nearly $10,000. I thought I would leave it on after getting the car home, as I also think it gives the car a different look. But of course you have to try it without. And so there it sits in my garage in its Porsche dust cover on the homemade and well thought out wheeled stand for it. I was also trying to put a price on it and will look around to see what the going rate is. If I dont use it for the next year or two I may let it go. The main reason I like the idea of having it was security if it was going to be parked overnight outside away from home. It is very easy to put on and get off but is a two person job.

So is it up for sale now Dave, open to offers??   What colour is it?   And last of all where are you located?

As I said I need to wait and see if I get to use it. Then if tempted find a market value(ie price on rocking horse shit,virtually). Its dark metallic green and lives near Brisbane.

As was also mentioned I think it would make it stand out come resale time, which may be sooner rather than later. The car was mainly for my wife to drive as an upgrade from a TT Quattro. She does not like it as much, I think its a little bit intimidating for her and in her words She does not want to ruin it. So I may look at another TT for her or R3, A5. And get a later 987 or even Cayman for myself now that I have been bitten.